Working at Marcus Evans — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Marcus Evans pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Marcus Evans

From Toronto — 03/05/2010

I worked in the Summits division for about 6 months. In my experience Marcus Evans is a great opportunity to gain valuable experience working in a sales oriented profession. It is not an easy job by any means, in order to be successful you have to be prepared to get alot of no's before you get to the first yes. The base salary isn't great, but the potential to make great money is based on performance, which is a reality for any sales job.

For me the most valuable thing about my time at Marcus Evans is the sales training and mentor-ship that I received from my directors. It's true that a big factor of this job is self motivation, but if you are struggling (and I can guarantee that there are days that you do struggle) your directors are there to give you the encouragement to keep going.

The co-workers at Marcus Evans are in majority young professionals, most are university grads looking for some corporate experience, so there can be a great social aspect to this job as well. I can't count the number of Fridays when we had had a great week or month of sales and the whole office had been taken out for celebratory drinks.

Ultimately I left Marcus Evans because it didn't fit my long-term career goals, but I am taking with me confidence I gained from being able to reach, converse with and ultimately advise the most senior level executives at fortune 500 companies, which I believe will be an asset in any sales or corporate career going forward.

From London — 01/21/2010

Loved it. Absolutely loved it. Don't recommend it to everyone, but if you love sales, you'll love it.

From london — 11/19/2009

i worked in the london office for years. the people are very often good and the atmosphere very friendly and international. there are some bad apples, but people that moan about others often do that because they are not very successful. it is a competitive company but success is always rewarded and picked upon very quickly. career opportunities are plentiful and only a little hard work and willingness to learn are required.
true, employees are required to work hard and give their best, and not everyone can do that.
as for directors and managers that spend their times doing nothing but bossing people around, those are very often personal opinions of people who had to leave because they underperformed. the sheer fact that it is always portrayed as a very competitive company to work for, means that the managers must be the ones that managed to do well in the first place!

there are many shortcomings that marcusevans should look at addressing, the average salary on top of it, but it is a good company to work with for a while, it provides a good learning curve for people that actually want to learn something. it's definitely not the place for someone looking for a cushy job and that is afraid of a good challenge.

From Montreal — 08/25/2009

“World Class Sales Organization!”
Pros

- Fantastic training!
- Great compensation!
- 100% Meritocratic Environment!
-Amazing potential for advancement!
- Great networking opportunities!
- Open forum to discuss new ideas and share thoughts with all levels from Management to CEO.
Cons

To all the haters out there who are ragging on ME: get a life. Clearly you were unsuccessful at the job and are looking for someone to blame. Take resposibility for your own failures and successes. You'll end up being much happier!! As for getting ahead by 'kissing ass'. I nearly choked on my own tongue laughing. ME is a 100% performance-based environment. You get what you put in and it doesn't get more MERITOCRATIC than that. As for urgency and lies - if those were tactics you were using than no wonder you were unsuccessful. Shame on you. ME Summits are "Invitation-Only" and we reach out to a very select number of companies that we deem qualified to meet with our delegates. For you to try and exploit the fact that we are often put into legitimate, time-sensitive situations (usually as a result of being very customer-centric in trying to accommodate a transfer or something) I think is ridiculous. Good riddens.
Advice to Senior Management

From Stockholm — 01/28/2009

I worked there about 6 months ago, so not sure what its like with the current 'crisis' anyway it was a good starter job in sweden as swedish was not required and I met loads of new friends. Earnt some decent cash and took my boyfriend away on a super holiday after my first paycheck :). Basically if you don't sell you don't earn, no one ever lied to me about this philosophy, so I wasnt one of the negative people compining about salaries all the time.
I left to study swedish full time in September, though still have a few mates that still work there and in all honesty seem glad to actually have a job!

From NY, NY — 11/13/2008

I had a great experience with Marcus Evans. Great place to sell in an office committed to training and development. Daily 1 hour training and private training with the GM on request.

Definitely a lot of opportunity for growth as many collegues were promoted to assistant managers, managers and upward to director level within 3-4 years as opposed to other companies who expect 10 years out of you before considering you for a true leadership role. Their is great earning and development potential within this company and if you feel you are a confident leader with the ability to articulate yourself well then this is a great place to work.