Work at Macys — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Macys pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Macys

From Chicago, IL — 01/28/2010

Macy's is a fine company to work for; it all depends on what you are there for. If you're there for a part-time nights and weekends gig to make extra cash, you probably won't like it. Unfortunately, it's tough out there for retailers, and a lot more is expected from each person to make it profitable. So yes, you accepted a job at minimum wage, and you actually have to work hard to earn it. I chose retail as a career, and it's one of the best companies out there to use as a launching pad. You can work a ton of different positions to build your resume if you like, or you can stay as a sales associate, supervisor, dept manager, whatever. The hours do suck, but on the flip side, you get at least three weeks paid vacation every year, and four personal days. And of course we ask associates to open credit cards: they're profitable!! Macy's doesn't make any money selling merchandise for 80% off. And if your manager threatens your job for not opening credit cards, they're out of line. It's your job to tell HR if you feel it's unfair. All in all, not too bad. Hours and weekends and workload suck, but flexible work schedule, pay, time off, and benefits more than make up for it.

From Walla Walla, Wa. — 01/09/2010

Many people dislike their macy's job, however, i very much enjoy mine.

The location at which i work is fairly small, two levels. the management is competent and greet their employee's daily, learn their names and take a general interest. Complaints are taken seriously and management will resolve them.

The pay is minimum wage, but where i live has the highest minimum wage in the states. Respect is amazing, coworkers are friendly and hard work is rewarded. Benefits are minimal, sometimes there are contests for macy's money, and the like, including employee's 20% percent discount. Many people shop while working, and you find great deals and get a first look at the clothes.

potential for career growth is decent, ive seen many people be raised from support, to sales and then management. I was hired as seasonal, but they kept me on due to my hard work, availability and willingness to step in. the location is 10 minutes drive from my house.

From Westland Mall, Michigan — 12/14/2009

Pay- I Gave Macy's a 0 because it's minimum wage but at a time like this I am excited to just have a Job and very happy Macy's decided to hire me as an associate.

Respect- I gave them an excellent review for the simple fact I have been there for two months and my co-workers have totally excepted me and have helped me out tremendously especially the lady who has been there for 20 years, and management is very respectful of all the associates at my store.

Bennefits- Again Macy's got a 0 due to the fact I am Part-Time and no company gives benefits to part-timers but still a great company to work for.

Job Security- I gave a five because it all depends on how hard you work for a company and I am working my tail bone off.

Work/Life Balance- I may work 40 hours a week right now but I can still spend time with my fiance and my family and friends.

Career Potential/Growth- I gave it a 5 even though I may not promoted I have heard from many people about the hard work they have put in and have been rewarded for.

Location- I gave Macy's a 3 just because I am located in the Westland Mall in Michigan and it's a very hard hit area due to the economy so sales are down but we try our best to bring the customers great customer service so the keep coming back to us.

Co-Worker Competence- I gave a 5 to Macy's because I work in the Men's Fragrence department and all my co-workers know their product like the back of their hand and I have learned a lot from all of them.

Work Environment- Again a five because I have never had a hard day on the job to date and it's very laid back a mellow at my store.

After all is said and done I absolutley love working for for Macy's INC., this store has been around for more than 150 years and it is a American Staple no matter what anyone says and I am just thrilled they have chosen me as one of their associates.

From Oak Brook — 11/21/2009

I was happy with the location of the store I applied to, had great co-workers, and an decent work environment. I knew the pay was low and there was no job security or career potential since I knew it was a seasonal job. I was only working there because I had been unemployed for nine months and was running out of savings trying to make up for what unemployment compensation did not cover and did not expect it to be high paying or secure for the long term. At the time of the interview, I had only been on TWO interviews out of over 300 full-time jobs applied for since February and really needed the extra money.

What I did not expect is how my manager responded when I found a full-time job within two weeks of accepting the seasonal job. I was trying to be courteous by informing my manager right away that I accepted the full-time job and how my availability would change mid-December. I also was upfront during the interview with Macy's about my job search, my need to be able to go on interviews, some previously scheduled doctor appointments (scheduled three weeks out due to the doctor's office being inundated by flu victims), and a baby shower I had committed to prior to going on the interview. I let them know that except for the baby shower, I would be willing to change/cancel the other appointments/committments if I was needed at the store at those times. I did not try to get out of a scheduled work day when my brother had to have surgery that day. After accepting the full-time position, I was still open to work Saturdays and Sundays and late evenings during the week. My manager said she wasn't sure if she could retain me due to my reduced availability (which I could understand) but also then accused me of not living up to my "open availibility" due to all those previously mentioned appointments/committments that they did not make me change and pointed out how much more "flexible" they had been with me than I had been with them. One point she brought up to drive this point home is how I was "allowed" to leave early one day, even though corporate asked her to cut some of us loose that day because we were over the scheduling budget due to soft store sales that day. I should also mention that the weekend I had prior committments was the one immediately following my interview date (the previous Sunday) where I had not expected an immediate job offer, and she brought that up as an aggravation as well. It seems clear that she was just upset that I had the NERVE to accept a FULL-TIME job WITH BENEFITS so soon after accepting a PART-TIME SEASONAL JOB with NO BENEFITS because it would cut into my weekday availability for the PT Seasonal Job. I guess I was expected to turn down the FIRST full-time job offer to come my way in NINE MONTHS of unemployment so I can fulfill the open availability expectation of a seasonal job that would end after December.

Anyone out there considering a job at Macy's, be sure you have all the time in the world and no need for full-time work. Otherwise, STAY AWAY FROM MACY'S.

From New York, New York — 10/31/2009

I was recently hired as a part-time employee in Young Men's Clothes and Urban Wear at the Herald Square Macy's on 34th St. in NYC. I'm really kind of sad for everyone else at other Macy's locations who have had such a hard time! Maybe I'm just lucky to have a job at this store in this particular section? My managers are cool, my coworkers are really funny and helpful, I actually look forward to seeing them when I go in to work. Most of them ARE college educated and entertaining to talk with, and we help each other out to meet our sales goals and card opening requirements. I really like that we work as a team (well, most of us, you know there are always a few people who are unpleasant, but they're in the minority and it's no big deal.)

I've never felt treated as unimportant at all, everyone has been really supportive. In fact, I've only been there a few weeks and I've already got quite a bit of free Macy's money (gift coupons for employees that can be used as cash anywhere in the store) for simply doing my job correctly. They've also been really cool about schedule requests I've made and things like that.

I also love that since we're a big NYC tourist location (Herald Square is basically THE Macy's - think 'Miracle on 34th Street') I get to have conversations with people from all around the world while helping them find clothes. The vast majority of the customers I've dealt with have been extremely polite and grateful for any help I can give them.

The pay is only a few bucks over NY minimum wage, but in this job market, that's not bad - they started me at $8 an hour and I can basically work extra hours whenever I want and stay later after my scheduled shift.
I will say that if you need a full time job with benefits, you might find it difficult to work at Macy's, but for me it's pretty much perfect. One thing I don't like, though, is that working weekends is mandatory for everyone, which isn't a huge deal but it's not exactly awesome for my home life, which is the only reason I marked Work/Life Balance as a -1.

Overall, I'm happy, and it's a million times better than flipping burgers, which seems to be the only other option open these days.

From New York, New York — 09/10/2009

I have mixed reviews so far on the Macy's experiance. My store in particular gives out some nice benifits. However, lots of employment turnover and employees who will never retire to make way for new associates can make working with Macy's difficult.

From Federal Way, WA — 07/27/2009

I worked here during Xmas seasonal and I loved it. Macy's is an excellent job.

From Fresno, CA — 07/07/2009

I have worked for Macys a few years now and all in all it has been an ok experience.
PAY: It is what it is. Macys does tend to pay a bit more than the state hourly so you can make it work provided you tighten your belt, thus the rating of 3.
RESPECT and BENEFITS: Also a 3. You give respect you hopefully will get it in return. Our store is blessed with a NEW, FANTASTIC store manager. He really listens to you. The General Department Managers, some are good and some are not but y ou will find that in most places. The Benefits are ok, but you pay through the mose for them if you are a full time employee. I am paying about $200+ dollars a months for medical and dental. Thus the 3 rating for both of these.
JOB SECURITY: No job is secure thus the 0 rating.
WORK LIFE BALANCE, CAREER POTENTIAL/GROWTH: If you are on good terms with your management you should not have too much trouble getting the days you need off, just don't sell your soul for it or call out too much. Career Potential, I have little or no repsect for people who kiss a**, but if you can live withself then you will go far, not just with Macys but any company.
LOCATION: I live in Fresno so it works for me.
CO-WORKER COMPETENCE: A solid 3! Turn over can affect any job. I think the training could be better. Some areas require specil training and Macys does not give enough training for those areas. For example: shoes, and fine jewelry.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: A 4. I like 95% of the people I work with. The other 5% is easy to ignore. Working with management...well that fluctuates on a day to day basis.

From Houston — 06/23/2009

Macy's, a perfect place to work. I like fashion and working one on one with any type of customer. I'm a sales assiociate so my duties are: putting back clothes, finding clothes, assisting customers with either my opinion, or knowledge. i'm aslo expected to open credits. the benefits of opening a credit is an added 5 dollars. our macy's is very successful even in this rough time because of it's location. the only problem would be the occasional rude customer, but i personally like working with them because it's fun (for me) to be really nice to a person who is being really rude and in the end have that person cool down.

From Portland,Oregon — 02/02/2009

The pay where I work is decent as a non sales associate I make enough an hour but the issue is hat I csnnot get the desired hours that I need. The management seem to be in a daydream most of the time if they are not in the breakroom looking at your lunch they are plotting in the HR office or talking on the phone. I have only worked for them for several months but the management seems tight knit like that are all real good friends but how can't they be Macys is their LIFE!
Benefits aare way too expen sive to afford on my budget so I live with tooth pain waitng for my teeth to rot out. Job security in my department is great they will always need me to clean it up
Work life is good as well I have so many days off and I am not allowed to work anymore do I can have a life outside of work but have no money to spend Potential growth is good for some but most of the mangement is so sneaky and aloof that it would be a miracle to be hired into another department, they are not looking for stars they are looking for idiots with no life skills and no life to run stuff and be so rude to customers that they leave
Co workers fit into 3 diffrent casts "Life"r's: those that have been with macys for more than 10 years the ones that are macys that type is mainly the trouble makers becasue HR and management will listen to them and take action
The untouchables: untouchables usually work in a high paying department with commission if no commision makeup,handbags something that most women or men like that would create a sense of superficial self importance usually the untouchables will clan together and are fairly attractive as to get special favors.
Misfits: A misfit is an employee that doesn't get the dues and acknowledgement they need be because you will usually see these people doing visual or putting signs up or cleaning the store. they have some of the highest paying jobs in the store but no self respect or is it that they have self respect but are not an untouchable.
For the most part most people are friendly-like showing a smile and a hello the way the store is managed is what is very telling of what goes on most of the associates can get away with whatever they want to stealing,talking and ignoring customers,the store manager has a your my best friend apporach to managing a bunch of people and so everyone walks all over him.You can say whatever negative thing about most people becasue HR is too concerned with wearing high class clothes and makeup to really care about the important things
Macys is a show boat, create ab act!!!!!