Working at Macys — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Macys pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Macys

From Manhasset, New York — 10/21/2010

Working Macys Manhasset is a good experience for first time hirers on your resume. It is a good Work Environment, although it gets boring without customers and the music at times may make you fall asleep unless your in cosmetics. Employees have good benefits if you take advantage of them. The managers are extremely nice. Every year you get a review, and then a raise. They are very flexible on time and life balances. The most amazing comment about working at macys is the employee discount. Our discount cover all brands including the high end ones like Michael Kors, Cole Haan, Coach etc.

If your not sure about working here do seasonal work.

From California — 09/05/2010

It's a great place to work. They really do reward hard work and dedication. I've worked for a few different retailers, and normally that is not the case.

From Hawaii — 08/20/2010

I read all the entries before I started working there and I had to completely agree with how bad it was. After working for a few months, my views have completely changed. I'm currently a college student just looking for extra money, so I decided to apply for Macy's. When I first got hired, I did a training video on a computer followed by the POS training. The training really did not help at all and once I was put on the sales floor, I needed to call for help every time. You are pretty much thrown out to the sharks, but you learn that way. They pay I get is above minimum wage, so I'm happy with that. I really like the managers. They are very friendly to me and they help me when I need it. I got hired as an on-call, but surprisingly, I always get scheduled hours every week and I get called in sometimes during the week which is good because I can get 30 hours just for being an on-call. The bad thing about being on call is that they can call you at any moment, which is why the work/life balance is not that great. However, I can always just ignore the call if I really do not feel like working. However, by doing that they just may never call me when they need me. Unlike a lot of the other reviews I have read, opening a credit isn't pushed so hard on me. I do get reminded to open credits, but I don't have a manager watching me and pushing me to open one. Perhaps it is because I am an on-call. The co-workers I work with are a great help and very friendly and the work environment is great! I have noticed that Macy's either hire young college students or older people. I do not see this as a career, but I really do like working here. A job is a job and no matter where you go, there are always going to be people complaining about it. That's life.

From PA — 08/19/2010

Wow, alot of people experienced what I have experienced, so now I dont feel like such an idot anymore. Honestly, before working here I could not find any job and this was the first place that acutally hired me so I just said "why not it cant be that bad?" o boy I was wrong. The training at first seemed to be very helpful, but then when I was put on the floor, I was totally lost. I have only been working there for a month and I just quit because thankfully I got another job, and I just couldn't even be there anymore. Within the first two weeks, I was getting switched around to other departments. Like how was I supposed to know what to tell customers were asking me if I didnt knwo the area well AT ALL? Well then I was in my department and I kept getting scheduled there which was good, but honestly nothing is ever good there. Its just a problem, after problem, after problem.

I thought I was pretty comfortable after the training but when I started working I had no idea what I was doing! My first day nobody really helped me at all and no one even took into consideration that I was new and offered to help. The lady that I was working with was BARLEY any help. So I thought, "Ok after like a week or so I should be fine." No, its been a month, and I still run into problems where I dont know what to do. That computer is so confusing there is SO much stuff to know! So it makes me look bad, unintelligent, and just stupid. Literally every time I go into work, I come across a problem that I cannot do, and I get stressed out.

Also, the managers CONSTANTLEY tell you about going up to customers and ask them what their buying and blah blah make a connection blah blah. No customer wants an associate to act like that, let the shop in peace. I usually read body language to tell if people need help if not, I let them do their thing. I dont like to be annoying. And your not allowed to talk to your coworker either, I do expect of the manager was around. Its was just such a crazy place and maybe my experience wont be as bad for someone else but I hope a person considering working here reads mine, and everyone else s comments about this place before they consider working there.

From San Diego, CA — 08/18/2010

Reading reviews for Macy's is very interesting. I have a love-hate relationship with my employer. I have been employed by this company, including the period it was the Broadway before being taken over by Federated, a total of 24 years. In that time, I raised my family, worked part-time, would work "on-call" during the summer months, finally settling into full time in the late 90's. My choice in life was to be a full-time Mom, no college, so a decent retail job has been the perfect fit for me. Now I'm close to retirement...

Macy's today is not the Macy's we all knew and loved. Their latest implementation of "My Schedule Plus" is designed, to an older employee, to get rid of their seasoned employees, those who know their jobs, are loyal to the company, and keep customers coming back. Last winter there was a layoff at our store, two employees were laid off who had a total of 40 years with the company! I think the reason behind this is that seasoned employees cost Macy's money in terms of health benefits, vacation, etc. However, I think they are missing the boat in thinking that they can hire minimum wage employees to come in for 4 hour shifts, work competently, treat customers like old friends (which many of them are!) and maintain the same sales integrity.

It will be interesting to see what happens to this company. I have sometimes taken umbrage with comments made by some of the employees on this site. Remarking about older employees being stupid, not able to hold other jobs...actually, some of us made the choice to work here, and have taken pride in our positions. A company like Macy's, which is customer driven, is only as good as the people on the front lines. If anyone from Macy's ever reads this reviews, please, please, look carefully at the current state of this company. Take yourselves out of the "ivory tower", get down and dirty with us. Meet and greet your public. You will learn a lot and maybe save this American institution.

From Minnesota — 07/01/2010

I'm a new hire at a Macy's in Minnesota and already it hasn't seemed right. They offered me the position of a merchandising associate when you work before store hours which was perfectly fine with me.

However I didn't know the orientations were different and the HR people had me do the register training along with sales. I had no problem with this because I didn't merch had their own training. The orientations went well, basically told us how to treat the customers based on their stupid star rewards card levels, being perky and doing about a million things at once.

After the orientation I got a "schedule" and the HR lady said she had no idea what the merch team was up too so she just scheduled me for the next morning and told me to show up. I did and the merch team had no idea they even had a new hire but they were very nice and helped me along. I was very impressed with how hard working they were and how kind they were to the clueless new person (me).

I left them my phone number because they weren't going to start getting busy with new merch for a few weeks. I believe the HR people made a mistake training me for sales because the position I was offered was merchandising, not sales associate and the pay is different. When I am scheduled and if it is during sales hours, I will probably complain and say how I was hired for merchandising, not sales.

I reccomend merchandising, the people were incredibly helpful and nice but it varies to location I suppose. Sales seems entirely too cutthroat.

From TX — 05/14/2010

I just got hires at Macys and so far so good. I actually liked and learned alot from the training on the computer. I dont know why everyone else is compaining. The managers are great they treat me like a person not just an employee. You know when you are getting interviewed/hired they ask "Do you have any questions?" they don't just ask to ask. This is a great opportunity to ask about benefits and what not. oh and about the credit cards i don't get hassled for not selling those. even though i got 2 already on my 4 days there. Anyway i like it FYI i'm married and have a child and i'm in my early 20's. just to get an idea i'm a busy person you just have to balance your life

From Midwest — 04/21/2010

I was recently laid off with many others from Macy's. The office was shabby, the store needed remodeling (but Corporate had plenty of $$$ to build a fancy new store in a growing suburb) the pay was low, forget raises, and the benefits are only after 6 months. You might get paid time off after 1 year, and no paid holidays until after 6 months, but they don't tell you that. When you start asking questions, the HR office in Pittsburg claims they "don't know" or they have to get back to you which they never do. Evasion is practically an art at Macy's on every level, especially if you ask about pay or paid time off. The call center for help on computers or setting passwords is in India and it's a whole new level of frustration----- so you give up and just try never to call them. My boss was fine, but they turned him into a hatchet man when Corporate started layoffs. All because Penney's and Kohl's are kicking Macy's butt (and Saks and others). And now I'm told they won't pay my unused vacation days after being laid off. Don't work at Macy's unless you're about 20 years old and don't need money and only want to work sometimes. Beware of the dreaded "loyalty goals". They want you to sell the Macy's credit card accounts and they don't care how you do it, just do it! I felt sorry for the associates. It was like putting gladiators in the arena to fight each other.

From Ft. Myers — 04/18/2010

Macy's provides a good work enviorment with great people.

From corpus, tx — 02/27/2010

wink! wink! So here i go just finished my first day at Macys....before i get to that let me get to this...I LOVE MACYs...the parade of legends, the fashion capital of moderate dept stores...i had no idea of the backlash against my favorite place to shop....i guess i never paid too much attention to anything past the merchandise..I was looking for dress code advice and stumbled upon this hella-blog!!!!you guys are severe, but i decided to catalog my days with Macys...So just keep in mind i was delighted and estatic to start my career with macys, today was virtual training from 8-6pm, one thing about me is i am smarter than your average bear. so first thing i noticed was my employment packet was botched..i was hired as parttime, but for some reason unbeknownst to me i was checked in as seasonal...red flag, idk...i was told it didnt really matter, atleast not now. So next thing was virtual training+pos simulations (which were fun)...I was not told to print out cert. so i didnt,,, even though i shoud of, and well of course that might one day come back and bite me in the ass. what was weird is how i felt when the person in charge of my training popped in to check on me while i was using the training register.....knowing i just started he/she hovered over my shoulder sorta impatient with my lack of knowledge of the key system,,,that my freinds is psychology 101... he/she knows i wasnt ready but needed to start chipping away at my confidence...well i also told he/she that i had another job on certain week days he/she stated it was fine, (that was during my first interview),, but now that i am a new hire, my schedule is actually already conflicted...is it true, do they actually have seminars on how to dissect a person, Was his /hers unorganization part of the greater scam....Will my lack of training be my fault. Well past all that i felt very comfortable on my first day, but at the same time i picked up on alot of red flags..eg. when i was introduced to my store workers it was pleasent . but coworkers within my dept was tense and quick even though they were not busy,, do they already hate me,? thier first question was was i ft or pt..are they already broken and am i suppose to take one of thier jobs.. i hope not!! they seemed nice just guarded,,,well so far i still love macys for shopping but will i love macys for employment. stay tuned...wink!wink!..