Working at Lush Fresh Handmade Cosmetics — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Lush Fresh Handmade Cosmetics pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Lush Fresh Handmade Cosmetics

From Leeds — 01/14/2010

I have just started working for lush after being made redundant from a company in which i was paid quite well. I was hired because I seemed 'confident' and really I was blagging it completly. I was hired for an part time contract and have now worked out that I would be making more money on Jobseekers but never mind...at least I have a job.

So far I have worked just a couple shifts and i dont wantto go back. I was told that if i was late in my first week I would be fired no questions asked, and after that it was a 3 month trial period, of which I am sure i will not be kept on. The turn over of staff is crazy, you do need to be a certain type of person to work in Lush and I dont consider myself that kind of person. I am quiet but always wanting to help and provide brilliant customer service, but I find their specific type of customer service very in your face and on my first day saying "HELLOOOOO!" to everyone that walked in, actually put them off and 50% of customers walk straight out.
I go to work everyday completly stressing out about what questions im going to ask customers, how im going to sell things, and wether or not my face is going to fall off from too much smiling. Im never comftable at work and I dont feel like anyone really likes me there. I try and talk to my coworkers and on the shop floor they are lovely....i try and talk to them upstairs and it is a different story. I have never heard so much swearing and backstabbing in my life! I hate the people I work with and I hate our hard selling techniques that we are made to do. I havent been pulled aside yet but I have heard that if you are not 100% off your tits on enthusiasm then you get pulled aside by the managers or trainee managers and you are required to explain why.

The pay is ok, its minimum wage which is fine for me, the thing that gets me about the pay is it seems so illegal. I havent been asked for my p45 or my national insurance number yet...I dont know how theyre calciulating my tax code and also im being paid by cheque which is annoying me a lot..

The Good.
50% discount....however seen as I only make 42 a week and getting extra shifts is about as difficult as it is to make friends at LUSH, extra horus never happen and I end up spending all my money on Council tax....with 10 to spare of which I feel like spending on Loreal products just to annoy LUSH managers passivlely.

Thats about it for the good.

Basically if you are a manic depressive with no depressive and all the manic, work there. If you like jumping around and looking like your cracked up to the eyeballs then you will do well.
If you can talk for England then you would also be brilliant.
If you are quiet and enjoy the products and actually care about people then dont work there you will hate it.
Im not sure how much longer I can stick it out there....or more relevant (probably) how long they will chose to employ me, or even more relevant how long it will be untill I crack under the pressure and go postal.

From Cheshire — 11/16/2009

I work as a S/A in a UK North West store. We've always been a great team until this year when our manager left and wasnt replaced for 6 months. We were left to all the paperwork,deliveries and general running the shop ourselves without any training ( or increased pay for that matter.) . The new appointed manager has displayed so many underhand tactics, 'borrowing' money each day from the cash register, going shopping whenever he feels like it,swearing on the shop floor, insulting almost every S/A including reducing a couple to tears. He has disrespected the company and left many health and safety hazards in the store , making it no longer customer friendly. We reported him and he doesnt seem to have had a warning. Lush do not look after their sales employees, and like the overseas stores I have read here, they take advantage and use people, then throw them away. They are hypocrites.

From CA — 11/09/2009

I have been in the retail business a long time and have never been more proud and honored to work for a company that is so ethically minded and proactive about taking a stance on their beliefs as LUSH has. As a Store Manager, I am able to really run the business. I can plan parties, promote the shop, and actually see the decisions and fruits of my labor being put into action. I don't have to answer to a DM or RM, when I ask for help, I reach out directly to payroll, to the CEO, to the retail team and receive help. Growth comes in many forms at LUSH, you can carve your own path.

LUSH is a growing, newer business and of course is changing with the changing needs of the business. You have to be open to change. LUSH is founded on failures and successes. It is really disheartening to hear other ex-employees complain about the freedom and empowerment you receive at LUSH, opportunities you don't get in "normal" retail. LUSH provides you with a canvas to build upon; you have to WANT to draw your own master piece to be successful!

From Atlanta, Ga — 10/23/2009

I really loved when I worked at Lenox...the pay is good, just like any other retail job. And yes...YOU HAVE TO LOVE LUSH! If not, you're gonna be pretty miserable. They do have a cult following, lol!