Working at Lowes — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Lowes pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Lowes

From Camden,DE — 10/29/2009

Overall the six years I spent at Lowes was a great . I learned alot about retail and leadership from some great managers and things not to do from some poor managers. I worked my way up from being a loader at 18 years old to becomeing a Zone Manager by 22, so their was definately advancement oppourtunity. To those who decide to join the company, my advice to you is to work hard, learn all you can about the processes and make sure you are fully trained on incidents reports lol!!.To be truthful Lowes is a great oppourtunity for someone who wants to become a manager,specialist,etc just make sure that your Managers are looking to help you grow and not throw u under the bus.

From North Carolina — 10/22/2009

If all these folks would quit complaining and attempt to do a good job things would be better for them. Put all that effort towards your success at Lowe's. I have worked for Lowe's for 17 years and have never had a manager I could not talk to and I never felt like I did not count. My solution for all disengaged employees is to quit and pursue other career paths.

From Central Virginia — 10/04/2009

Over the last three years I have gone from a Sales Specialist on the floor, directly to Zone manager (@ $55K) bypassing the department manager position, and recently to Sales Manager. Salary has gone from 34000 starting out to not mid-60's (and ending closer to mid-80s after bonus payouts). I'm paid fairly for what I do, and have not sought out other careers based on my pay. My age falls between 25-30.

On the downside, I have worked in 4 different stores, finding that your experience will vary largely upon the direction of the store manager to the other senior managers. If you work with an honest set of managers, worklife is fantastic as long as you can stand oddball work shifts and schedules. Unfortunately there are a number of managers simply there to make a buck, and show no compassion for the folks working for them. It seems to vary considerably, even within the same district.

As an hourly associate, if you work hard, are honest, and try not to doop the company out of time & money there are rarely instances of discipline. Show up for your shifts, work your full shift, and advancement is inevitable.

From shakopee — 10/02/2009

I have work at lowes for 3 plus years it has it ups and downs but mostly ups for me I really like it here but have to say its hard to work your butt off and see that others sit on theres... And that they cant leave high school attutudes in high school and be grown adults and stop with the he said she said crap ola

From Wilmington, North Carolina — 09/24/2009

I am a former Lowe's employee and have nothing but good memories about the place. I worked in OSLG and miss my job almost everyday. The pay was adequate for the job, the benefits for full-time employees were very good. I think I would have been less satisfied if I were inside, and I think being at the register would have been pretty bad. I was never threatened with being fired. I was in a confrontation once with a manager and I think it was handled very reasonably by other managers and by HR. It was not a bad job at all. I came in early to get extra hours, left late, took lunches and breaks on my own schedule, and had a say in what I did and what went on in my dept. I felt appreciated and respected and had a very high sense of accomplishment most days when I left to go home.

From ellsworth, ME — 09/12/2009

I love working at Lowe's, but again it really depends on the store's location, and the store's management team. You have to like retail to work in a "big box" store. There are many different personalities of co-workers and customers to consider when deciding to work for Lowe's. Working for a large corporation is similiar to being in the military, they want you to give them your all! If you are willing to do that, and also accepting of many changes along the way, then Lowe's is the place to work. We actually do get paid to socialize and shop with every customer.

From Ft. Walton Beach, Florida — 09/07/2009

I love working at Lowe's. :)

From Columbus, Ga. — 09/04/2009

I have found that Lowe's is pretty much like any large co. and I have worked at a few.
Pay: in 1999, I started at $3.00 less/hr than the one before which had no benefits other than a fair paycheck.
In the past 10+ yrs,I have been a Dept. Mgr and soon found that it was not for me. Then was a driver in delivery (which I think is the best job in the store}. In 2003 I was activated as part of the Army Reserve and was deployed for the next 3 years, came back in 2006 disabled (80% VA) and was unable to work my previous job in Delivery. I had to wait 7 mo.after my discharge to get a release from the doctor to return to work. At that time there was no job I could do because of my limitations, Then the HR manager along with the District manager created a position for me (Telephone Operator) which we had not had before. Worked 10:00-7:00 for a year. I am now a Customer Service Associate IV, and have ran the self checkouts for the past 21/2 yrs.
Respect: I have found that respect is a two way street. The easiest way to get respect from your supervisors and peers, is to earn it. Most managers and Associates respond favorably to this. Although, there are exceptions
to this. People with respect or competence issues usually don't last long, especially now with unemployment so rampant. There is an old saying in retail, The only reason someone is in retail, is because they can't do anything else. Sometimes I wonder...
Benefits: These are pretty good considering...Although, benefits do not pay bills...
Job security: is up to the individual to make there self more valuable than someone else.(You don't have to be the best. just don't be the worst...)
Work/Life Balance: It is true that some people may get a little better schedules, refer to Respect & Job Security..
Career Growth: You can progress into management, if you are willing to "pay for it" ,or you can stay an hourly Associate it's totally up to you....
Work Environment: Remenber, it is retail...

From Savannah, TN — 08/12/2009

I work at Lowe's store 2218 in Savannah Tn, and I am proud to put on here that MY store manager is GREAT, he cares about everyone and will bend over backwards for any of his associates. One thing that I can not stand is some of the people that I work with, they make it seem like you are in high school again GROW UP AND DO YOUR JOB! Another thing is that i think that Lowe's should do a little more when it comes to installations, I don't think that associates should go in a change the person's name to their own and literally steal the project from them, I think that a manager should have to okay this before proceeding. I have had many installations stolen from me just because I just happen to be off when the measurements came in! Other than most of the people that work in my store I love my job and I hope to go up pretty fast and leave all those "high schoolers" in the dust...I love our Zone manager and Store manager they will go out of their way to make you happy. So I give store 2218 an EXCELLENT rating!

From san diego, cal — 08/02/2009

i am slightly under paid. but i am over all happy with the total package that lowes offers. our store is the 2nd highest money maker in the district, that makes it an exciting place to work. current cut backs in personal and the "inpact hour" can be challenging for every one. h