Work at Lowes — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Lowes pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Lowes

From CO — 03/04/2010

As honest as I can be:
I'm 26 have been working for lowes for over 7 years during and after college. I have moved from store to store in my retail career and have found that the company is what YOU decide to make of it. I hear a lot of complaining from people who don't give a damn about their job and don't try to make anything out of it. Yes there are incompetent people and there are definitely incompetent managers but that's life everywhere. Lowes basically put me through college and worked around my schedule the best they could. "the pay could be better" well the options are endless : SOS commission, spiffs, customer service bonuses, shrink bonuses, mgr bonuses etc..not to mention 401k match, stock option, BCBS insurance, etc.. As a dept manager I received close to 4,000 in bonuses for the year but I had to earn it. There are better stores than others and if you get a good management staff then that can make all the difference.

If you want to move up it does seem like you have to be willing to move around, especially right now, so I do see a lot of frustrated employees who can't move up. Negatives: it's retail so you deal with crappy people sometimes (you can't let it bother you), you won't make a lot of money so you have to take advantage of what the company has to offer (I know millionaires from the stock and 401k plans), no set schedule so you could work at 5am three days and then until 11pm for another 4 (but you are supposed to be on a matrix so you should know your days off in advance, something some of the other retailers don't do) and there are always the coworkers that get away with murder that piss you off.

From Bartonsville, PA — 03/04/2010

The pay could be worse, but it's not great. They overwork the underpaid employees and do not work with college schedules like they say they will. Your training consists of watching videos and computer work, then there is no one there to help you once you get on the floor. Like I said it could be worse, but it's not great by any measure.

From Denver Co — 02/27/2010

I worked for Lowes for 6 years, I never had one complant until they let me go with no reason! Really, I waork for 6 years for you and the only thing you can tell me when you let me go is "we dont need you anymore"! I still talk to several people who are employeed by Lowes and they still let people go with we dont need you anyomore. Whatever my time spent was good, I would never go back.

From Kinston, nc — 02/16/2010

I rated Lowe's the way I did because the Lowes I work at is a great place to be. My fellow employees from CSA to Dept. Managers all the way up to the store managers have always been there to help me with any problems. We take great pride in our store and our fellow coworkers. I am looking forward to being there for many years and being able to move up with Lowes.

From Houston,Texas — 01/24/2010

I am a dept. mgr. and I'm very satisfied work at Lowes. My store manager is one of the best I've ever worked for in retail. He is fair, open,a great communicator, coachs well, and praises at the appropiate times. Does he ever make corrections? All the time but that is how we all learn the Lowes way. I have learned allot from his merchandising abilities and a sense of importance and priority of projects
I don't feel that Lowes corp. supports store management as much as they should. The corporate HR and CCIC are very weak considering the competitive economy and customer demands. CCIC should resolve customer problems not just be a message taker. I understand that we as hourly people have someone to voice to but salary people have no support or anyone to voice their opinion to. Lowes is still an above average company to work for but as every growing they have their challeges.

From Hanford , ca — 01/10/2010

I have worked for Lowe's for 4 years now. Yes all being said here is true but also you have to thing about it this way. You have a job and yes it is stressful every so often but that's life. Management do have there favs. But again that's life.Lowe's is a over all great company and there are things wrong here and there but No company is perfect at all.

From lilburn — 01/04/2010

the respect that you don't get at this location, and not getting any help at all about insurance that you need to find out about like where to go to to get things done. the customer service is not good. the insurance company that they have is not helpful at all. i have never had this much frustration or dicussed with any place that i have worked before about insurance issues, or respect!!!!!

From Tennessee — 12/29/2009

My Lowe's store is one of the best of the best, and has led the district and region at times in its performance metrics. In one respect, at present, we lead the entire company; i.e., in one measurement. We have done it by intense execution of the basics, and with the leadership, guidance and encouragement of some very focused and competent senior management members, as well as a pretty tightly-knit floor team. We are an exceptional store, and I am exceptionally lucky to be a team member.

That said: In any situation, co-worker competence, attitudes and work environment will vary, depending on the culture which is predominant. But if you don't like the culture, work to change it. Work to provide positive influence. I'm no polyanna newbie...I'm a 5-year veteran. I've seen good and bad workers come and go, for a variety of reasons, some deserved, some undeserved. Lowe's rewards competence, but those who seem incompetent also seem to get the rewards -- or the extra rope with which to hang themselves -- it's all life on life's terms.

I would encourage anyone -- ANYONE -- with a good work ethic to apply. If you consider yourself a good person who can focus, get the job done, lead people by example and communicate clearly; a person who can do more than whine if the outcome isn't fair and step in to change the culture to make the outcome better, then you will most likely succeed. Choose your friends carefully, and watch them. Keep to the high road...in your dealings with customers, associates and vendors...and you will establish a reputation in your store as a person of integrity and leadership ability.

Lowe's isn't right for everyone, but it has been right for me. I came from a semi-corporate environment, and had a good deal of retail experience, but not on the scale we practice retail. I've learned a lot in 5 years, and have left the junk in the road and taken with me what I could use.

The company comes down to this: Every store has its personality; based on culture set by management. But remember: Culture can go bottom - up, top - down, or laterally. Choose to be a part of the culture, or choose to do what you can to improve it. Your store's success is YOUR success, and vice-versa.

From willow grove,pa — 12/04/2009

Pay
Its above average for retail I asked for 9.00 dollars and got 9.80 dont know about rasies how often yet ill tell once i figure it out

Respect
2 week notice which is good for retail

Benefits
i wish i was full time they would be atnea and company ownship possiablity 2 i cant wait till i can buy stock in the company and cellphone discounts and american car discounts and employee discount only thing is i wish i had some vacation off 2 holidays paid xmas and turkey day and 4 floating holdays no to gov healthcare

Job Security

i done the reaseach us and walmart are doing great in this market

Work/Life Balance

its pretty good they have set days off so it better than my last retail job

Career Potential/Growth

so far ive seen 1 person get fired so ill comment a year from now to see if i move up at all

Location

could be closer to home but in this market ill take anything iam glad i found work so quickly
Co-worker Competence

everybody is top notch really good service so were the 2nd best in our district so want to win the truck

Work Environment
not bad for a hardware store a lot better than was expecting and have to take yearly tests as part of employment even top management has to cashier so i like that my boss has to do the dirty work too
and i can learn new skills at this place i wish we got commission on the credit and protection plans ive sold id be doing pretty good right now managers make more than my last job i hear my next raise will be 10.70 they work you hard but they give plenty of breaks so i like the laid back dress code and the red vest combo cant beat it

From Ontario — 11/20/2009

It's retail,what can you expect? Pay is OK. Respect sometimes. Benefits OK. Job security so so. Work life balance,let's just say I'm glad I'm not full time...Kudos to those that work FT, I personally would never ever ever work full time in retail. Career growth, no thanks. Location, not good,no public transit. Coworkers are OK, Department managers often go awol. Work environment, it's a warehouse, hard floors, noisy, artificial lighting what more can I say.