Work at Lockheed Martin — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Lockheed Martin pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Lockheed Martin

From Sunnyvale — 06/20/2008

I like the wage, it's very competitive for a new hire. One thing that startled me was how frank people were in settings that are normally professionally courteous in other companies (i have other experience in other big companies). LM wastes a lot of time on paper projects, and merely understanding stuff that shouldn't have been worded so complicated in the first place. The workforce is older, but they are so nice and so generous. I've read many other negative reviews, and it feels as if... if you're a new hire and liked by management, then your career (at least in the first few years) will skyrocket. I'm lucky to be one of those, although I have yet to actually meet one of the unlucky ones. They have a very good structured intern program and management training programs for new hires, although they're exclusive...which leads one to wonder what happens to those who dont get to be in the LDPs. Overtime is not paid unless you've worked at least 5 hours of overtime... which the company somehow justifies...for hourly waged workers! Career development really depends on how involved your management is with you, which obviously depends on how well he/she likes you. I know that sounds generic, but it's very obvious that some people can strike it very lucky or not very lucky, and the disparity is concerning. For example, SOMEONE has to invite you to those useless meetings for facetime, if no one does, well then you could potentially be sitting in the same spot for 30 years (but have very nice job security). College major is important in getting hired, as its the question asked all the time. Moving within the company requires independent networking (within the company)... as if a separate program is a separate company altogether. Hierarchy is solid- but it feels so archaic. The fact that the youngest ever executive was 36 years old is concerning... LM is truly having trouble adjusting to the new work environment that rewards creativity and merit. Age and seniority dominate, which really hurts the company because I hear it's a real issue in retaining young people past 5 years. So many acronyms, but its very rare to find someone who can spell out every acronym he/she uses himself. OMG most disgusting workplace ever. Really needs a facelift, especially since its smack in the Silicon Valley where tech companies are offering recruits competitive pay, benefits, and wonderful work environments. i think the time card system should be based upon the time of clock in and clock out instead of by punching in hours, which would require asking permission from management to log in overtime hours if one has worked overtime...which they make you feel bad for. No i dont think people should be watching the clock, but expected overtime should be a few minutes at most a day, not an unpaid hour every day before getting paid on the 6th overtime hour. jEEZ not getting paid before 5 hours of unpaid overtime is like coming in on a saturday for half a day without pay. if they're so concerned about massive overtime payouts and people abusing minutes here and there, then at least lower the overtime requirement to 2 hours/week at the very least.

From Valley Forge, PA — 04/01/2008

The main purpose of this vent is to complain about the recent dress code changes. For the 5+ years I've been here, jeans have been acceptable dress at Lockheed. Given the type of engineering work we do, jeans is very appropriate, comfortable, and acceptable. For anyone under fifty, I would imagine this would be the case. A few days ago, there were rumors this would change and then boom! Overnight, it changed. No official notice given ahead of time, just the email saying "You can't wear jeans anymore, starting tomorrow". It's ridiculous. I can understand this for people who work more in a public capacity, but for the majority of backroom engineers, dressing nice doesn't help us create better products. Over the past few years, there have been a lot of changes for the worse at Lockheed... benefits (especially health care), overtime, vacation pay, and now this. It really sucks. Someone high-up in the company must have been really pissed off to make such a decision.

From Sunnyvale — 02/22/2007

It seeems other divisions of LM have issues. Missiles and Space is a great place to work. You can select the project you would like to work on, which may be the standard 40 hours or up to 60 depending upon the challenge. Pay has slipped in past years but they are pushing up the salaries now to be competitive. Your job security goes with the program you are on. Management puts your life first, if you need to have pers time it is readily there and they will bend over backwards to accomodate special needs. Your growth is only limited by your own limitation. You may have to change projects or groups to move up, but you can. Sunnyvale, CA, the Bay Area is ideal. Most others do their job well, some not so much.