Working at Lockheed Martin — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Lockheed Martin pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Lockheed Martin

From Tx — 04/21/2010

I worked for Lockheed Martin on a contract field team in Texas and it was the best job I ever had. If someone couldn't do their job,it was a warning and then they went out the door. No carrying dead weight. If you couldn't fit into the team and be productive, warning and out the door. If you wanted to hassle other employees, a warning and out the door.
We had very little overtime and a great site supervisor. I attribute the lack of overtime to the fact that the deadweight and distractions were pruned early in the game. If it wouldn't have been for my husband coming down sick, I would have stayed at this job. I love Lockheed!
If you think Lockheed sucks, try Boeing.

From Goodyear, Az — 04/10/2010

I was really surprised to see that folks hate LM so much. The only reason why I left is because I had a 1.5 hour commute each way and it was taking me away from my family. I woked in a SCIF and had little oversight. That meant little support, but also NO micromanagement. I loved being paid weekly, and the 9/80 workweek meant I used very little vacation time. Health benefits and 401k were about the industry norm. Career advancement was typical with other Aerospace as well--had to put in 20 years to advance. Those at the top certainly had their years w/ the company, but from their stories they also had varying positions and growth opportunities. I'd love to go back if it wasn't so far away!

From New York — 03/12/2010

I retired from LM after 3 decades with the company (and prior companies from which LM acquired me half way thru my career). I started as an exempt entry level college and ended as an executive. I lived within my means - saved 10% or more of what I made, with my wife put our children thru college, enjoyed my worklife and am now enjoying "retirement".

I read every comment about LM here (7 pages) and believe after doing so that this is not representative of the company at all. LM isn't perfect in any way - but it is a top notch employer that makes a difference and which will do well by its employees who work hard and contribute.

I found that hard work, long hours, sacrifice, intelligence, thick skin, ego but controlled, willingness to work as part of a team all lead to me being successful. I managed other employees for my last 25 years and have experience with many of the kinds of folks who comment at sites like this, they only look here and comment here if they first - have the time to spare vs between working on their job and balancing that with sleep and their family.

LM is, like so many of the other companies reviewed here - a good place to work. But scan down the scale - and look at the scores - that will give you an idea the type of people commenting here so you can gauge on your own the veracity of the input. To stick to the items asked - pay is very competitive - benefits fit with what else is offered by competitors - if pay and benefits were not competitive - all the great people working there wouldn't be - they would go the competing companies.

Respect - here you get what you work to get. The folks who portray these "management conspiracies - all the employees are great but the managers have been in place forever and their entire goal in life is to use you up and take credit for what you do" - that is just what it sounds like - crying over spilled milk by the person who spilled it and about those who didn't.

Work life balance - don't work here or in any large competitive environment if you are looking to work 40 hours each week - never be bothered during the weekend - get your 2,3,or eventually 4 weeks of vacation - a full half year of sick time (of course you actually have to be sick) and stroll into the office at 8:30 and after a nice break in the morning and afternoon and a long lunch go home at 5:30. If that is your view of work life balance - you can probably get away with doing the absolute minimum and if you are good and actually contribute during your 8 hours each day - survive - but you won't thrive - there are too many of us willing to work hard - conditioned to work hard - loving to work hard so that you will just survive - and that is one reason you will write here. You would be better off to seek a job in France.

Having a good manager is important - and building a relationship with him / her is as well - but this is not a company that you have to "know people" to get ahead - you have to work hard and make a difference. You have to compromise your personal beliefs and behaviors and expectations such that you fit with the team (and no one expects those compromises to be any where near the line in terms of ethics or legality - just some modicum of conformity, manners and friendliness)...

So much for my observations - had a great career - worked with a number of the countries best scientists, on projects that our country relies on everyday to remain free and leading in the world, technology that drives a fair amount of what we do at home each day - enjoying retirement and wish well to all who choose to engage in a meaningful way over your careers - good luck.

From Texas — 01/13/2010

I feel it's a great company to work for. Benefits are decent.

From Fort Worth — 12/28/2009

Working at Lockheed Martin is not a bad place to work. I would say Lockheed would be a better "job stepping stone" rather than an employer for life. I can only comment on hourly employees for I am one. There are many workers that take pride in their work and create a great product. And there are more than a few employees that do not care what the finished product is as long as get a paycheck. It is sad. There is no accountability for employee’s workmanship and workmanship errors do get covered up. Worthy working employees do not seem to want the union as it is useless and dues are outrageous. The union will fight for people that have repetitious attendance and discipline problems. Employees do not have a voice.
There are many repetitive problems that tax payers keep paying for mainly due to not caring.
There have been issues but I have been fortunate so far. I work with good people and the goofing off is kept to a very minimum.

From Marion MA — 10/07/2009

There is a lot to be said in favor of this company. Pay is fine, location is great, benefits are good, work/life balance is fine, job security is okay. Career potential/growth is good but who would want to grow in the wretched soil of this strange coompany? Some of the coworkers are living proof that man is descended from apes and that all the monkeys aren't in the zoo! One dishonest lying one is even like the living embodiment of "the missing link." The cream is supposed to rise not the liars. I've never seen anything like it before and I hope I never do again. I can't wait to get another job and get away from here.

From Orlando, Fl — 05/09/2009

Stable employment because the company's solid in the defense industry. Gets lots of contracts. Just too political inside. Everyone not given an equal chance to shine or grow. Only leadership development program employees or employees favored by management, and this includes those in Bethesda. Competence and skill overlooked for favortism even when it's glaringly obvious. No one is expected to work less than 45 hours a week and don't even think about overtime pay. It's basically a sweatshop, and if you keep up with the pace you'll do okay. Make a mistake and you are on the chopping block. There's no real vacation. If you are not available or if you don't have a laptop with you, you face a mess when you get back to work. Intense work environment. People go to funerals and weddings and bah mitzvas for a week or two but still are calling in and e-mailing. Work here is 24/7, for real.

Merit raises unfair because of a bell curve system. The raises are small even though this corporation is a cash cow. You're judged by your rating, meaning that it's a label on you. It's hard to break. Many alcoholics there and stressed out people. A lot of heart attacks and an unnatural number of cancer cases. Most of the human resources team is very competent, but many would disagree with this. Yes, they're agents of management but they still know their stuff. You'll see a lot of pride in America and our military since many employees are veterans and we work for the government and military. This is good.

From Owego, NY — 03/13/2009

To all those who are thinking about working for Lockheed: DON"T SECOND GUESS--DO IT. I have been working here for a little over the year and its great. I came straight out of college.

Listen, I will tell you this, people will always complain, and complainers will always be complainers, they will go on waste their life complaining about everything. They will never be satisfied at any job because all they want is more more more. The general public in my opinion is lazy: they want to work less and make more, but it doens't work that way. You work hard, you get to play hard, that's it.

But rarely do you get positive reviews about anything. Well ,I didn't want the company I work for to look bad, because I think it's a great company to work for. Coming out of college, my salary was extremely decent (engineer). Better than all of my friends (some are still a little jealous, and I can't blame em). We all set high expectations of our jobs out of college, and although they will be good, don't expect to meet all your demands. Lockheed is better than a lot of companies to work for, especially out of college.

So, go. Don't let negative reviews scare you.

Lockheed takes good care of its own, and if you're diligent and dedicated, you should have no problem moving up in the ranks and calling it home.

From Fort Worth, TX — 10/01/2008

I LOVE this job! I wish there were more job security in the division I'm in, but with my education, I imaging I can always move around in the company. However, I hope it doesn't come to that as I love what I'm doing. I've finally found my calling.

I do have a complaint about the health insurance, though. You don't have a choice, except for the deductible. You can only choose Aetna PPO. I've always had an HMO and I prefer that. I always use the same doctor and when I need a specialist, I would rather have my MD refer one. That way I don't have to find one on my own. I realize a lot of people like choices, and that's fine, but I think with such a large company, we should be given the choice of health plans, too. After having HMO's in every other job, the copays with the PPO came as quite a shock to me. With a plan that only pays 80-90%, I don't recommend having any medical issues. If you never get sick, don't ever have labs done, and definitely never need imaging (xrays, US's, CT's, and MRI's) then maybe a PPO is a financially feasible plan. But you add that stuff in, OUCH!

Getting back on topic, the work environment is pleasant. The machines could be faster, but having worked with a T1 connection before, I do say I'm a little spoiled. And, some of the "older" folks complain a lot about working conditions, but they have an "older" mindset. And, I'm not talking about age. I'm talking about people coming over from a previous contract. And, not all of them are like that.

The point I'm trying to make is that LM is a great place to work. I have finally found a job I love doing and can actually see myself happily doing for a long time to come. It's also nice to be able to use my extremely expensive college education for once!

From Herndon, VA — 09/25/2008

Let me just explain that I don't have any problems with Lockheed Martin. My problem was with a co-worker who hated me and let her friends (which were managers) know this. I worked in supply chain and was part of a great team until my bitter co-worker complained about me behind my back and got me off the program. Let me state for the record I did my work and almost never complained but it didn't matter. She was friends with my boss. The turnover was unbearable and the lack of support was non-existent. My manager at the time moved over to another building only to have that entire team quit after less than a year. Before my manager left she gave me 7 programs to work. Without even telling me the problems. Another co-worker left and as I found out later didn't do her work either. So when I explain the problem to my manager he did very little to alleviate the burden on my plate. I choose to find another job because I couldn't take that workload when people higher level than me didn't have this mess. So when I tell my boss of course he doesn't so much as shake my hand and commend me on a job well done. For almost 2 years of loyalty and no complaints despite my concerns they don't care. The last thing he told me when I resigned was "you have to do what's best for you best the company is going to do what's best for it" I have some advice for anyone thinking of getting out of Lockheed Martin Supply Chain... if you decide to leave keep in mind that they never want you back no matter how good you are. Your files will be crap regardless of who had them before you. You will never measure up unless you stick it out. That's what my management team's perception is. The problem isn't management its you. You're the problem. Such a shame because I really miss the work side of it.