Working at LOBLAWS — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about LOBLAWS pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at LOBLAWS

From Spruce Grove, Alberta — 09/18/2010

Worked as produce clerk while going to university, was a good time.

Pros:
-worked with a great crew, majority of the people were my age and got along very well
-can actually say that I enjoyed going into work many times due to the people I worked with
-had a great set of supervisor for the majority of the time I worked there, they would work hard, they were easy going, and usually accommodating to scheduling needs
-since it is union there were decent befits considering the line of work
-work was physical and simple yet still rewarding
-lots of work was done, but there was usually always time for backroom slacking

Cons:
-pay, better than comparable jobs, but if one had to live on this...
-some of the store manager and assistant store mangers were not the nicest people
-dealing with customers could be an experience sometimes (this could also be a 'pro' since sometimes it resulted in hilarity)
-if you work in produce you have to do 'closes' sometimes, which suck. This is the one consistent thing I did not like about my job, staying 1 hour after closing time to bring in produce to the backroom cooler. The majority of the time it seemed like I was in a huge rush if I wanted to get everything done properly.

Overall a great job for high school or university students.

From Alberta — 04/08/2010

Great company to work for...pay is good with top end pay scale $19+. You get what you put in...bare min , might want to go to Mickey D's. Advancement is endless and no you do not have to kiss a$$, just put in an honest days work. Nothing gets handed to you in life that goes for promotions too.

From Alliston — 03/15/2010

Pay: Pay was well above minimum wage.
Respect: If your managers liked you, you got respect.
Benefits: Benefits were awesome for being part-time and having 80% coverage on glasses etc.
Job Security: As long as you don't kill someone! Someone sexually assulted someone in the back room and he still kept his job... -_-
Work/Life Balance: Always worked around my schooling schedule and anytime I had an RTO it was honored.
Career Potential/Growth: There are always lots of oppourtunities throughout the country.
Location: Really close to home.
Co-Worker Competence: Fucking Dumbasses.
Work Environment: Typical work environment, some nice people, some mean ones.

From ontario — 07/03/2009

Good Salary.Great Respect if you work and not just show up.Work life balance can be a challemge. Many Management positons available.
Ypu can work anywhere in Canada. Some are great some are not.
Demanding,fast paced and rewarding

From Ontario — 08/07/2008

I'm full time, pay is good with an annual raise.

Respect? ha! I can't say it's really Loblaws fault tho.. I work at a franchise store so it's more the owner to blame there

Benefits are good, one reason why I still work at this crappy job.

Job security it's there as long as you make it past your 90 shift probation period.

Work/Life balance - could be better all depends on the store manger/owner.. ours think the store should be our lives

Career Potential/Growth is only there is they like you. Most of the time the owner combines jobs so when a new full time position would be available its gone by giving the repsonsibilites to someone who is already full time.

Location is great, but then again it's a small town.. everything is close.

Co-worker competence, I love the people I work with.. sure there is the odd person who apparently can't read atleast so it seems generally people here know what they're doing

Work environment is alright.. nothing to really complain about.. except teh backroom in the winter.. you will litereally freeze most days can see your breath back there in the winter

From Markham, Ontario, Ca — 08/04/2008

Markham, Ontario, Ca 08/04/2008: I am 20 years old in Loblaws years (cashier). I like the company because I find it is like a family atmosphere. This is my third store. I also helped to open 5 other stores. I am part-time and use Loblaws as a way to earn more for my full time job, for when I need extra for big purchases. I love, love, love my customers. They are a quality group of people and some will line up in long lines to talk to me. I have learned from my customers and now speak a little Italian, Chinese, Russian and French. I like both the younger and older co-workers and try to learn from both -- may be it's my personality, but I try to get along with every worker and boss. If & when someone treats me disrepectfully (co-worker, boss, customer), I courteously discuss with them on the spot & without anger. 95% of the time, I gain a new friend, associate or just gain their respect. This company has been good to me. Where else can you get an excellent part-time salary ($16.75/hr), benefits, a pension (!!!), stock purchase at a discount, scholarships, employee discount, a Sunday shift bonus, lots of t-shirt/uniforms (more t-shirts than you will ever need). For those with negative comments, it's how you play the game & how you react to the negativity. I don't take it personally. I recommend this company - you see the benefits over time. Just don't expect instant gratification.

From Brampton — 04/27/2008

The are restructuriing. Good office layout, modern, high stress as this company has been restructuring for years.