Work at Liberty Mutual — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Liberty Mutual pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Liberty Mutual

From Dover, nH — 06/19/2009

No work life balance. Little communication with management.

From Indianapolis — 06/09/2009

I have been with the company for alittle over a year. I was able to move from one claims position to the next within 8 months. the training was horrible coming in the door but the pay is very well considering what other companies pay in the area. My new position required me to move another bldg. i worked in that bldg under safeco before i left to go to liberty, liberty bought safeco so my position is currently out of the safeco office. my experience with liberty managers was great. my boss on that end was very helpful and has so much knowledge. she was pleasant and understanding. going to the safeco bldg was a mistake. i like my job but i hatr the management style. they are like military soldiers with no personality. they allow 2 people off per dept! 2 people out of 60. that is just nuts. they make it there priority not to be like liberty. they hold on to their evil ways. its like a military camp in there and i know that they cant stand it when someone speaks their minds.....ugh!!! soon we will all be in one bldg and i just hope that things change for the better..... the work load no matter what is just way to much. i average 8 claims a day and they (safeco) has this stupud 24 hour contact rule when the ppl on liberty's side dont have that requirement. i was very happy with liberty and still am i just hate the atmosphere in the safeco bldg.

From Indiana — 05/05/2009

I have worked for the company for over 14 years. Although this company is not perfect (no company is) it is amoung the best that I have come across. Any organization will eliminate positions and fire people - that is business. I believe my job will be eliminated shortly but do not hold any anger, it is just a fact of life. All I can do is the best job I can while I am here and ensure that I position myself in such a way to be offered another job.

I have seen many things happen to support the comlaints of people on this site and many others that contridict the statements.

Work hard while you have a job and improve your skills or education so that if your job is eliminated you have options available to you.

From Portsmouth, NH — 04/29/2009

I have had a decent career at Liberty. 4+ years as a contractor and almost 6 as an employee. I was notified of a layoff from the Commercial Markets IT business unit last November, but was able to secure another position withing their Hosting Services IT Unit. Unfortunately, I was informed today that my job was eliminated . . . Again! Not great news, but I account it to the cycles of business. My one issue is that while they stated that the decision who's job to "eliminate" was not performance related they didn't reveal their secret formula of selection. Sadly, I truly believe them...many of those eliminated were very high performers and some of those did not have high salaries or seniority. Makes you feel like they just roll the dice and see who's number comes up. Not real comforting. The skelaton crews left behind have a hard time filling the gaps as well, so no-one really wins with that type of 'informed' decision making.

From Ohio — 03/17/2009

I've been at LM for 5 years now. If you like working for a very large corp, this is the place. Change is the only constant, but also keeps things interesting. I work hard and do my level best to meet their expectations. Isn't that what any job is about? Pay is well above average but they also expect above average work. Below average performance is not tolerated. Benefits are excellent....100% employer paid pension on top of a .93 per dollar 401k match plus bonuses. Health insurance is expensive, but that's the case anywhere these days. We've been through a lot of changes the last 2 years, and I completely understand some of the rants posted here. BUT, it is a much stronger company that has big goals and thousands of dedicated people working to meet those goals. Is there any other way to run a business? Every company has slacker employees and bad managers, but this too shall pass. I've seen many folks (sadly) lose their jobs, all of them good people. At the same time though, very few of those surprised me. The fact is that ultimately we are all replaceable. My advice, don't work for LM if you are not up to the challenge. I happen to love it here and plan to stay.

From Tampa, FL — 03/06/2009

I have worked at LM for years and hope to stay there. I have been able to move around the country working in several offices and departments and have always had the respect and friendship of coworkers and managers. From the call centers to the sales to claims, each department and office is great to be at. I have never been to an office where I was stuck in a grey cubicle and couldn't look out the window. Benefits are great too. I have never had an issue with health insurance and enjoy the profit sharing every year too. We also get all kinds of perks like gym discounts, EAP and many more. Because I have a career in insurance, and I am willing to relocate, I have plenty of job security. Many people I have met along the way have been there over 20 years. Though my former boss got promoted four times in only four years, and I have been promoted each year also. Work life balance is okay. I volunteer for a lot of overtime when its available because it really bumps up my pay, and it helps my teammates to have more times with their families. Locations are the best. I've had to move to different states for my husband's work and was always able to get a transfer or promotion to a new position with ease. Probably the best is my coworkers. We have the freedom to talk and laugh and get to know our teams, and have healthy competition with other teams. Everywhere I've worked its like a family that has welcomed me with open arms. Its the people who really make a difference. If you don't get to know them then maybe that's why other people have negative reviews. The work environment is a little stressful. You have to know what you are talking about and how to do your job well. But is that any different from anywhere else? At least here all the customers I deal with (especially after working Katrina) are respectful and friendly and appreciative. No company is perfect, and there are always little things, like busy days or office closings, but I have worked from some pretty bad insurance companies. LM is one of the good ones.

From Marlton, nj — 12/09/2008

Pay: I think the pay at LM is great because I have never worked for a company that starts at what Im at.

Respect: If you show respect and take part in things that are going and not treat people any different then yourselfs. If they only worked has much as they talked just maybe people would treat them with Respect.

Job Security: If you take them time and learn and show interest and learn just maybe you could move up the ladder.

Benefits: Are ok. I love them.

Work/Life Balance: Ya the moral is not at its best but you now what everyone loved the bowling, Penny wars ) was for toys for tots, Stocking contest is a great idea. and you are knocking something your fellow employees work so hard to put together. I just cant stand hearing people put it down any more. you dont want to take part then dont, but please dont knock it if you are not doing.

Career Potential/Growth: Ya it maybe true if you dont have a degree you dont move up, but i now if you try to move up it just may happen.

Location: its okay, but cant really complain its a job.

Co-worker Competence: If you show how hard you work and stop the fighting between to support units just maybe the work will getting done faster and so on. I dont understand all the fighting.

Work Environment: I think the work enviroment is going okay and ya it will be hard in the next coming weeks but its something that we will have to just deal with.

So lets stop the fighting and start getting along we are one team!

From Mishawaka, IN — 09/17/2008

I worked for Liberty for 3 years. The work environment sucked as did the shift bid process and the performance rankings. I left Liberty for a less stressful job but I miss the great benefits and excellent pay. For this area 15$ an hour is a great living wage but that does tend to trap people who would rather find another job. I lost about $5,000 a year but I do have a better work life balance.

From wayne, pa — 09/16/2008

i was an underwriter in middle markets 9commercial). great experience. very good company,y wont get rich, but you will learn alot

From Marlton, nj — 04/17/2008

I just started here at LB and So far I love my Job. It is so much better then my old job. I have made so many friends and my co-workers help me out when I need it. I am learning new things everyday.