Working at Liberty Mutual — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Liberty Mutual pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Liberty Mutual

From Ohio — 03/30/2010

I have worked in the personal sales dept. as a sales representative for quite sometime. Yes, this company has changed quite a bit in the last few years and it's not the same comfy feeling it used to be. But a lot of dead weight was removed and the unethical folks went with them as well.

Liberty Mutual is in growth mode and it's no secret that the economies of scale play a large part in a insurance company being profitable or competitive for that matter. So for management to stay warm and fuzzy like the good old days and tolerate the mediocre employee is just not an option anymore. We either grow faster than the competition or become victim to the competition. For all these new college hires to aren't willing to put in the major hours at the beginning of a insurance sales career to get it up and running...see you later. College is over folks, time to get to work. For those who are working hard, welcome to the company!

To those who complain about management, I have had more direct managers than i can count in my all my years here. Most of them were not good managers. The few that were good, got promoted as they should. It didn't matter. I am truly the only person to can make myself successful here. I don't need to make a manager my crutch for not succeeding. It's up to me. Period.

To the upper management in Boston and Portsmouth. Please give us systems that have the speed to keep up with the talented individuals you hire. Can you imagine how productive we could be if we didn't have to wait for our screens to change all the time? Downtime has improved, but response time has got to improve!!! Can you imagine how many more quotes could be done and the time we could free up if we had competent systems to work on? It would be great to walk out of that office everyday with a strong sense of accomplishment rather than a frustrated worn out feeling about how much more needs to be done to keep up with the demands of current customers and potential customers.

I feel fortunate to work for this company overall. I know our way of doing business (expensive) will change drastically soon and may leave me out in the cold or with options that will force me to look elsewhere. The best thing for me is to sell as effectively as possible to put me in the best possible position when that time comes. Moaning and groaning all the way will do no good and only hasten my eventual departure.

From New York State (is great) — 03/28/2010

I've read a few posts and frankly don't recognize the Liberty Mutual being described here. I'm generally pleased with the direction the company is taking (no, I'm not a manager). I suspect the negative venting is a result of two conditions:

1. Most negative responses are from the claims dept. Claims is a job with incredible stress. Everyone wants $$ from you faster than you can send it. It's always gimme, gimme, gimme. Couple that with mgmt who's job is to see that claims are paid at the lowest fair amount and the adjuster gets caught in the middle with a very small and specific range of performance that balances the demands of these two groups. That's a nearly impossible job to do successfully. Add in a few inexperienced mgrs who are eager to do a good job and the environment turns dysfunctional real fast. Yes, this is what a career in claims is like in the new millenium.

2. I suspect most employees have never worked in the claims dept of another company. Doing so would add perspective. Claims employees are generally an unhappy bunch (see reason #1 above). Other companies I have worked for are far worse than Liberty. Far worse. Incompetence is everywhere and it's here at LM as well. But on balance, if you can handle the short-term changes (things can get better) and can actually survive in a high-stress claims job, then LM is a better company than most to hitch your wagon to for as long as you can keep your job.

My advice is to reflect on your career and the trade offs you make in life for the things your paycheck buys. . If you're still miserable weeks from now, it's time to consider a change. You must have control of your attitude if you are to have any control in life.

Life is too short to be so miserable.

From Yeah! — 03/19/2010

Thanks East Coast!. So nice to finally see the silent majority speaking out. It's very simple....work hard each day, listen to your manager and try to learn something new. That's what I decided to do when I was hired not too long ago. If you are unhappy or lack the desire and/or brain capacity to do what is expected of you, it is time to move on...and know that your absence leaves us stronger!

From Mitchel Field, NY — 03/10/2010

Despite everything posted here, this is actually a good place to work. Just for writing that, I'm sure there will be many comments attacking me as being a senior manager, someone from Boston, a kiss ass or whatever else. That's not the case. This place is not perfect, but the biggest problem is the small clique that is consumed with negativity and does everything they can to spread it. Check the responses to postings, you'll see the same 5-10 names over and over. Before you agree with anything said in response to this post, check out the website mrlibertymutual.com and ask yourself if you want to hang around with people who spend that much time and effort seeking out negative things about the company they work for, and references to other people who hate where they work in other places. It's just a job people, get a life. Try your best to resist putting up a response less than 24 hours after this is posted. I'm willing to bet you can't do it. It's 7:40 PM, 3/10/10 in case you want to set your alarm clock.

I especially love when I see how much you used to love working here. I knew you then, and you were miserable then too. Keep using the economy as an excuse for why you won't leave. In case you haven't been paying attention, the insurance industry has been doing fairly well. My guess is your not even looking, your just making up excuses to continue painting yourself as a the victim.

Unfortunately, you are not the victim. The victims are the people who work in an office with poor morale - something a small miserable group created. You act like absolute maniacs if anybody finds the slightest fault with one of your files. I guess taking constructive criticism is something you can't handle. Maybe acting a little professional once in a while wouldn't be such a bad idea either.

It's so sad to see people post on this site about the way someone looks (sorry, but I haven't seen any supermodels roaming the halls around here so you should look in the mirror), or make bogus accusations about them. Try putting yourselves in the shoes of the people you are talking about. They're working hard too and taking the same heat you do when results don't look good. Your words are just cruel, and your nothing more than a bully. Please stop pretending like you know so much. You don't know the office is closing. You don't know rating were lowered without justification. You don't know other offices are hiring outside consultants. You make up your own truth's and throw them out there. I'd love to know who you are that knows so much about everything. You must be very high up in the organization to know information like that., or perhaps you just have an axe to grind?

This company has done very well over the last few years, and VIP proves that. All the problems in this office can be overcome if we just start ignoring this small minority of bullies who terrorize people and make up their own truths of what has happened and will happen. The great people who account for the overwhelming majority of this office shouldn't give these people one second of their time. They don't deserve it.

From Mishawaka, IN — 02/23/2010

Highest paying non college graduate job in the area. FTO program offers a very generous amount of time off. Highly satisfied. Plenty of room for growth. Pay for performance is mildly flawed.

From California — 02/04/2010

I have to say, sites like this always skew viewpoints I bit. I understand that people have had poor experiences with LM (mine haven't always been the greatest either), but think about this much: how often do you turn on your local news and hear a bunch of wonderful, happy, uplifting stories? Rarely. You get the bad news. It's the same with this type of site.

I've been with the company for 4 years now. I've advanced to several higher positions. My co-workers are wonderful, knowledgable individuals for the most part. I'm thriving in a down economy. The benefits are the best I've ever had. I will admit, the work/life balance can be tricky, but all-in-all, it's a good place to be.

From North East claims — 11/10/2009

The Claim Product Teams are the problem. Most never handled a claim in their life or managed employees. A good amount of the product team are coming from the Corporate Development Program. They have advanced degrees; but where is their practical work experience? "Change," "Lean," I can live with that. But come on, those leading the "change" and "Lean" have no claims experience. I still enjoy working for this company after 16+ years, but must say that tenure and experience mean nothing. However, if you have an advanced degree and never worked a claim in your life, there is plenty of room for advancement. Also, the Boston Claims staff is far from Lean. They keep creating positions that don't make sense. Manager of "this" and Director of "that." How about creating more front line positions that actually handle the claim and service our customer's? Our customer's need us most and pay a good premium for service. Those sitting in Boston do nothing for the customer.

From Boston — 10/20/2009

Solid company, pay for performance is real and not just lip service. Company continues to grow which is very exciting in this economy. My department makes sure that no one manager controls a persons career so the rating process is fair compared with other companies.

From Nassau county — 10/19/2009

The grass is always greener....

From NJ — 06/24/2009

The pay and benefits are good, The work/life balance has been encouraged by my manager. My coworker competence is questionable which makes the environment not great. While I haven't been at LM very long, it has become apparent to me that there is a lot of dead weight at this company. Employees are so busy running to Human Resources to complain and finger point that they hardly have time to produce a decent amount of work. I think the negative reviews are coming from bitter employees who got caught taking advantage of the company and are throwing a temper tantrum. What I do see is some very talented people who are trying to stay away from the negative gossip mongers and do their jobs to the best of their abilities. Maybe those of you who have been victimized by LM can take some responsibility for your own actions and stop trashing a company well loved by those who earn their paycheck instead of finger pointing. Taking pride in your work is your responsibility and LM gives people way too many chances to rehabilitate their behavior before letting people go. I am currently stuck with rehabilitating a few people who are clueless as to work ethic and professional behavior. Stop trashing the company and start by looking in a mirror-if you can honestly say you are proud of your work ethic then power to you!