Working at Lenscrafters — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Lenscrafters pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Lenscrafters

From USA — 10/21/2010

NEVER, NEVER work for this company - they will hire 25 people for your store and only give you a couple hours a week if you are lucky. If they want to get rid of you they will not schedule you any hours for the payperiod but keep your name on the schedule as if you will get hours when they are available. They refuse to pay unemployment because they get away with this practice. You can get any 0 hours for months on end and they say that you still work for them. No respect for their employees.

From New York — 12/07/2009

good no complaints they do ok considering the times, they understand service and hold people accountable for doing it

From Richmond, Virginia — 08/08/2009

So much to vent! Where do I begin? An asinine script known as "custom eyes" was handed to me filled with all the by-the-numbers sales steps contrived to assist the retail-challenged, or some garden variety social retard with no optical experience in an effort to appropriately, albeit mechanically, walk the sales process along in lockstep before the annoyed/mortified customer. Forget the fact that you've been doing sales for years knowing that developing a rapport with the customer is what fundamentally matters. You see LC wants you to forget all that and pretend to be fresh off the turnip truck laboriously and fanatically sticking to the script. The year was 2004. A young, prematurely promoted sales (micro) manager named Nicolia Isom made a point of watching my every move, and harshly criticizing the way I dealt with my customers as well as manage time per customer. She herself dealt with customers in a very artificial and distant manner. One day I needed to signal page her for an approval on an exchange transaction since she wasn't in the vicinity, and the customer needed to be served. As soon as the customer was helped and on his way, she launched into a vicious tirade raising her voice over how she is not to be disturbed when she is not on the floor. I've always understood customer treatment to be different from that of associates, but this is ridiculous! It didn't seem to matter to her that I had no choice as she was the only manager available in the store. A pattern began where simple actions on my part which were in no way disagreeable would be met by her with quiet frosty resentment. I remember when she wanted me to get a tool that was not located where the tools were normally kept. She then pointed at the frame parts location and again very viciously snapped "tools! tools!" so I said "oh frame parts you mean! I've never adjusted eyewear with frame parts but if thats what you want, I'll do it!" Soon enough my knowledge of that custom eyes script was considered by the general manager to be weak. I was as good as anyone else was at it. I maintained strong relations with my customers and soon a customer drafted a letter of appreciation over my performance on a particular task. She wanted to make sure one copy went with me and one with my general manager Leslie Dewalt. Leslie was a manager who thought inside and outside the box. One may achieve the same, but if not exactly the same way as she, that person can eventually be handed his/her walking papers. Truly this was more of a private club, than a place of employment. Not the case, however, in regard to my fellow employees, who were great people. Those walking papers never came my way. The writing was already on the wall. I asked Leslie about the possibility of getting a raise after 3 years with the company as a licensed optician. All she did was laugh at me, no lie! Real professionals here! A little more than $13 an hour was not much to ask for. Soon the private club became way too predictable, and I quietly lined up another position with Wal*Mart vision center. During my final weeks with Lenscrafters, that aforementioned letter of appreciation that was supposed to be forwarded to the home office was found sitting on Leslie's desk by a new manager. It was buried under paperwork for three months, never forwarded! My letter of resignation was already drafted and distributed. I was on my way and this was just the icing on the cake! No two districts are going to be the same in how they govern and so I really don't fault Luxottica Group entirely. As far as hereabouts, though, my only regret would have been to stay with these bottom feeders!

From spartanburg, sc — 06/03/2009

I have been with LC for 18mo and have been treated extremely well. I am very happy.

From Hickory, NC — 04/20/2008

Wow, this place seems to be the same pretty much nationwide. As for my experience (lab tech and doctors office) the pay is pretty good for the type of job it is. Ours is in the city mall and is pretty much glorified retail. Benefits were great. There's only job security thought because they can't ever find someone dumb enough to take your job. You have to be at least slightly competant to work in a lab and not screw everything up so my co-workers were pretty cool. The work environment would be so much better if corporate would actually spring the cash for some maintenance and upgrades. Bad part is they expect you to be at their beck and call whenever is convienent for them. You're not allowed to have a life. And don't even expect to get a Saturday night off unless you're doing some serious brown-nosing. Benefits were definetly great. Respect...well you'll get it from your immediate supervisors if you work hard but don't expect it to go any further than that. Same with your career in this store. You'll never be promoted past your supervisors.

From jackson, Tn — 10/24/2007

Look, I know that everyone hates big companies, expecially foreign owned big companies, but let's be realistic. First, Pay. Optics in general (except for a few select states) is not a high paying career. Lenscrafters is competetive with other optical retailers, so if you don't like the pay, find another line of work. Next, i've heard complaints of manual and dirty labor for lab techs. This is not a mental job, it's physical. You spend a day working with machines and lubricants and you've gotta clean up at the end of the day! If you are not presentable, have a back-up lab coat so you don't feel disgusting looking. Benefits are better than most retail stores, so I feel they are great. Co-worker competance depends not only on management, but people working together. If you are trained, but you notice a fellow employee doing things incorrectly, try helping! Everyone can coach each other to get the best out of the team. LC constantly is trying to get that message across, but bitter people don't want to listen. The only people that should be working long hours and on days off is management. If you are being overworked, stand up for yourself and speak to the GM. If they won't listen, there is that open door policy (it does work!). For potential growth, well c'mon! You've got numerous potential for advancement across at least 8 different retail brands! Work enviorment is completely up to the employee. If you are in a store suffering from gossip, guess what; most small retail enviorments are gossip-ridden. Don't involve yourself in it. As for respect, it's not yours by right. You must EARN respect by first GIVING it. Thanks.