Working at Lake Hospital system — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Lake Hospital system pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Lake Hospital system

From Painesville, OHIO — 05/23/2009

Isn't it lovely how we hire employees...that are back stabbing...vindictive...manipulating and just plain out RUDE!? The ones whom are miserable with their OWN lives and don't want to work too begin with! Thus start creating GOSSIP....RUMORS....to jeopardize others lives! These people are not LHS and never will be. People who think others are "after" them but when they should look in the mirror and see what their actions are doing to others! People who have burnt their bridge elsewhere.....grow up and stop with the games!

From Willoughby Ohio — 09/18/2008

Well I have been at West for about 3 and a half months...And so far...I actually like it! Even though the pay isn't that great, its still a good place to work. The only other bad thing is scheduling and new hires (there are none), we've had people switch shifts and then no one to cover their spots...Its crazy. But it does make the day go by faster!! haha. I like where i am now, Hopefully this job will last!

From WILLOUGHBY, OHIO — 09/09/2008

Lake Hospital is a great place to work. The reviews I have read are most likely from workers who are in disciplinary action and blaming everyone but htemselves for their troubles. Our CEO is a talented woman who has done great things for our system and I respect her a lot. I enjoy my job, caring for my patients and working side by side with dedicated nurses.

From Painesville, Ohio — 09/03/2008

I have worked @ this hospital for 13 years and the pt workload has become unbearable. The pt to nurse ratio's has become uncontrolable. We have talked with our bosses and upper management about our concern for pt safety but they do nothing to work with us to remedy this problem. We are told to flex up and just do the work. Ratios's have gotton to be in the ICU/CCu 3:1, and in stepdown units 6:1. We want safer ratio's for our pts so they can get the care they deserve and pay for. Also, we are tired of feeling that our license is on the line. We need people that know what our job entails and have worked in these areas. We want our voices heard and not be told to "go somewhere else to work or well if you don't like it why do you stay?" The management thinks we have attitude, well we should because there responses such as this are totally inappropriate and unacceptible, we are professionals and this problem needs to be handled by a professional.

From Willoughby, Ohio — 08/31/2008

Amen! Finally someone with a valid opinion! I second everything you wrote and some. As far as pay is concerned, it really isn't that bad. We don't have to spend as much on gas to travel downtown and parking is free. Of course, if you play by the rules you get your annual raises and they do make periodic reviews of the fair market adjustment. The 5 step program does stink once you top out but I suppose there has to be a cap somewhere.
Respect seems to be a mutual thing. You have to give it to receive it. If you can't respect the rules and the supervisers why should they respect you? It's got to get a little annoying have to play secret agent to bust people eating in the department!
There's no way to cushion it, the benefits stink! The cost continues to go up and the coverage continues to go down. It would be wonderful if Lake could extend service to its employees like Metro (free healthcare within our own system).
One major complaint I do have is that prn nurses seem to be valued more than core staff. For example, holidays, prn nurses get double time to come to work where as staff nurses get straight time unless you opt to take PTO for extra hours. And the clinical ladder, what a headache! If you want to get a bonus, which you used to get just for being a good nurse, you have to jump through a million hoops and darn near write a thesis which saves the hospital money because people don't have the time or the energy.
Let's discuss job security. I feel very bad for the management positions that were recently cut, if that was me, I would have been devistated. As far as staff nurses go, I think you are pretty safe. Yes, people have been fired. And I'm not exactly surprised. There is not a single ED individual that I can think of who was fired "for nothing." It's about time someone did something about those individual who everyone seemed to complain about, until they got fired. Now it's "so surprising" that people with poor work ethic, bad attitudes and noncompliance issues were let go. It's not like any one of them got blindsided, they all had been warned and chose not to change. I believe it's management 101 not to make idol threats.
Through all the misery that has been portrayed throughout these postings, I find myself enjoying my job. Shocking, I know! No matter how bad the day is, if you have the right staff, you're gonna be okay. I tend to believe the individuals who are so disgusted with Lake are those same individuals who people don't care to work with.
The ops coordinator for west is diligent. She is a hard worker with alot on her plate. I invite anyone in that department to step into her shoes and keep a smile on their face. I agree she could stand to offload a few tasks onto willing staff and occasionally gets pre-occupied with off beat tasks but she tries. Just because you don't get your way, your friend gets fired for unprofessional behavior, or you don't agree with the management decisions, does not make her incompetent or a psycho.
The only co-worker incompetence I see doesn't come from the new grads, it comes from the staff who feel they have the authority or the right to treat other people inferiorly. I don't care if you've been there for 5 days or 50 years you should come to work with a smile on your face and a healing heart and if you don't have that to share then it is you who doesn't belong.

From Willoughby, OH — 08/30/2008

Every system has its faults. That is life--not perfect. I have to ask you if you have even addressed the so called psychotic ops coordinator and the upper management. Life is about choices..make one. I work in the emergency department at Lake West and don't find the ops coordinator to be a psycho..or unwilling to listen to me. I come to work and do my job stay out of the rumors and gossip. Give excellent patient care and go home. If you got in this job for recognition then nursing may not be the job for you. It's endless hours of unhappy miserable patients who do no see what you do for them. In reading all of your reviews you all sound very burnt out. You need to quit your job. However, my advice to you is that by leaving anonymous complaints on a website show that you are the type of person who talks a good talk but cannot walk the walk. Tell me this, did your complaints get you anywhere? Is your paycheck bigger? Your patient demand lower? All of you whiney nurses work in an environment where the patients, for the most part, are educated and insured. Your environment is very clean. May I suggest you go downtown and work where your patient load can be 7-10 patients. Clients are constantly verbally and physically abusive. You park your car where you need to look before getting out. And that is just the beginning. Be thankful for what you have. Life is what you make it,,,and if you are that miserable then leave. Last but not least, why didn't you get the ops coordinator position.