Working at La Petite Academy — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about La Petite Academy pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at La Petite Academy

From Florida — 10/29/2009

I am a very long term employee. Was a teacher for many years before becoming management. The company has been very fair in it's benefits and pay although it took many years to make a decent wage. Most of the teachers love their job and children. The ones that don't usually don't last long.

From Fort wayne, In — 10/12/2009

Certain employees at this facility will go out of their way just to make you look stupid whether you are a parent or an employee . They have a tendancy to instruct employees to lie to parents about how their kid is doing and to make themselves look good in front of corporate when they have clearly not followed La Petite rules/guidelines stated in the employee handbook. Also, I have witnessed first hand how employees seem to act so much different when either corporate or state inspection comes for a visit. they run around tipping off other employees on things needed to be fixed so they don't get nailed for it with the first sight of the guests mentioned above. I believe that their is so many extra comments made to either other employees or even parents about personal confidential info. Favorites are played when it comes to employees. Why is it that some employees can get away with anything they want while other employees can havbe in the exact same situation while hanging on by a thread to keep their job. I highly reccomend that if you are looking for a job or a place to keep your child while away to watch the inside stuff first and see first hand how the business is being run before closing the deal.

From Miamisburg, OH — 08/15/2009

Pay: I was offered around 8.00/hr to start with no previous experience in a childcare center.

Respect: For the most part I felt respected my management and co-workers.

Benefits: I payed for them but they were a bit expensive. It didn't cover everything I thought it would either.

Job Security: They were always hiring and I never saw anyone get fired. Easy to transfer centers also.

Work/Life balance: No problems here except when I called off I had to specifically request to use sick time. And even then I would have to look at my paycheck to make sure I was actually getting paid my sick time.

Career Potential/Growth: As a teacher there is none. But if you want to move up through management there is opportunity there.

Location: My location was far from my house and it wasn't located directly off the highway either which made it a pain to drive to everyday. Lots of mall traffic.

Co-Worker Competence: My co-workers were all pretty good teachers.

Work Environment: Very gossipy.

From Ohio — 07/23/2009

Pay: The pay is decent if you have experience. It pays about the same as any other child care, which is underpaid. People in suits get paid more to sit in an office than the teachers who do all the real work.
But that's any child care. Raises at LPA are between 0-40 cents yearly for teachers.

Respect: You get what you give.

Benefits: For my needs the benefits are nice, although a little pricey.

Job security: We are all replaceable. I think I'm great at what I do so I feel secure, but the reality is that any 18-year-old HS graduate could get hired for my job. Could she do it better than me? No way. But she could still get it.

Work/Life balance: We are not allowed to work more than 39 hours a week so there is no overtime. If you request days off with plenty of notice you will usually get it.

Growth: La Petite food chain is as follows--floater, teacher, AIM (teacher who helps in the office), assistant director, director, corporate suit. If you enjoy the teaching aspect of it, then you have no career advancement here. But if you're interested in management/office jobs you may be interested in promotions.

Co-worker competence: This was my lowest rating. Lots of drama, gossip, and backstabbing. Best thing to do here is mind your own business and don't share personal stories. Everything gets around so just do your job and don't make friends here. Also, many under-qualified teachers are hired so for those of us who know how to do our job well have to do the jobs of other teachers too. It can be stressful to feel responsible for two or more classes not getting their curriculum done.