Work at L&W Engineering — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about L&W Engineering pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at L&W Engineering

From Belleville, Michigan — 02/15/2009

Coming from a wife of a L&W employee, wow. Those who are happy with your jobs, good for you. You do work for a really good company that is going through a tough time like many other companies. Be glad you are not at my company that gave everyone a raise and a week later laid off 200 people. I would have given my 10% raise and then some just to have them back. Everyone has to make cuts to make it. I will miss the money, but we all have to tighten our belts and hope things will get better soon. Those of you that are having difficulty need to stop, think about what you are doing. If you find that difficult there is help for you. Try to remember that tough times do call for difficult measures. Do you really think that they wanted to let all of these people go and make all of these cuts? We lost a few thousand, the company has lost millions. Everyone needs to remember to go the extra mile. I am sorry for those of you that have lost your jobs, I know it is difficult. I have lost many friends where I work too, and I could be next.

From Holland MI — 02/13/2009

Im just glad I still got a job , keep us working Scott

From Belleville, Michigan — 02/03/2009

Shame on all of you who complain about this company. This company treats its employees with the utmost respect! My husband was ill and they showed uncompelling compasion and comfort to our family. In this economy you should be thanking them for your job and security of your family. I have nothing bad to say about this company, management, employees "they all showed support and compassion in our time of need". The medical benefits and support were uncanning. You really need to think of our society as a whole. Do you really think its any better wherever you work? I work in the medical field as a professional and there are times i am less enthused also, but i Thank God everyday i am giving the opportunity to work. So instead of all of the negativity you are portraying you might want to take a moment to think of a positive comment to pay your employer who had belief and trust in you when they hired you! (wife of a previous employee) THANK YOU L&W ENGINEERING! V.M.

From Holland MI — 11/13/2008

Overall a great company to work for , tough times with the economy and quite a few layoffs but read the news everyone is struggling right now.pay could be better there are a lot of great hard working people at plant 3 , the best thing about plant 3 is communication every morning we have short shift meetings and talk about everything that happened the prior day like accidents ,customer changes and our productivity from the day before.every month our plant manager goes over the company performance for the past month i really like that it feels like you know whats going on.i hope cars start selling soon so we can hire more people.

From Lebanon, TN — 10/23/2008

Job pay is awesome. Worked in the automotive industry for years and by far, this place recognizes work with pay. Company respects employees, more so than I think they should. Company may even give too much credit to certain employees, maybe it's just southeren hospitality. Benefits are comprehensive - some places don't even offer benefits. Job security is secure as the economy which has nothing to do with anything that YOU have control over - if you don't like the industry, get out of it. My life at work and my life at home do not interfere whatsoever. Career potential - I started out with abundant opportunity and within 5 months been promoted and recieved a raise already! A+ on potential and growth. Location is not bad at all. Nice city, nice weather. There are some people that work there that may be a little shy of experience standards, but that's a good thing - for the employee's. I don't understand why you are all complaining when your probably not qualified to do your job anyways! Work environment is a little shaky - have a hard time keeping safety and environmental policies in place. Over all, I like the company. I never have enough time in the day to complete all the things that need to be done. But I like that. I like the infinite opportunity. The problem isn't the company, the problem is the associates that work there. They have become so lazy. You say you work hard.... it doesn't matter HOW hard you work if you don't work on the right things. I like to refer to it as working smart. Fact of the matter is, the economy is crumbling around me. I am thankful to have a job. The job is exactly what I want and need considering my career level and where I'd like to go. I love my job. My boss is awesome. The culture is great. There are some systemic issues, but they are being worked out and things have changed a lot since I've been there. My advice to everyone below me who is complaining... if you don't like it, leave. Because there's plenty of people out there would take what they can get.

From blissfield, MI — 10/14/2008

well i have worked for L&W in Blissfield for a number of years and, I personally have not had that bad of experience. I see people on here raggin on them hard core, but it really isnt that bad of company. Yea, i have seen my share of BS in there, but where have i worked that i havent seen BS? there are alot of layoffs going on but i see that in every automotive factory around. i cant blame them for laying people off, they gotta do what they gotta do to keep their business going. Ive seen that the majority of people that get fired or laid off is because of their attendance. show up too work! how hard is that? the pays isnt the best, but its better than alot places i've worked for. i made less than half of what i make now at the last factory i worked at. Planr four has had alot of new general managers, some have gone to other L&W plants and some went for a one way trip out the door. they must have a good reason to fire them, they arent gonna let them go if they are making the company money, are they? I do feel i could lose my job at any moment, it isnt a union plant (thankfully). But if i get hired in knowing that, why would i be surprised if i get let go? I do feel sorry for people who get let go for something they may not have done, but hey thats a part of life and no employer is perfect. I'm not on the company's side, i'm on my side. I just choose to look at the situations i see through their eyes along with my own view. i know i'm never gonna find a work place where people arent gettin screwed or there is no BS going on, so why bother to bitch and moan about this place? I could say the same stuff that everyone has complained about, about every other factory i've ever worked at. i think that most of these people just need somthing to bitch about. its not the best job ever, but it sre isnt the worst job. I would have no problem recommending my frinds to go work there if they are good workers.

From belleville mi — 07/20/2008

I worked for Plant 2 for 7 years. The starting salary was awesome. You are expected to find something to do immediately if your machine breaks down or you could be fired. So basically just tie a broom to your let just in case. I am not a lasy person and always kept busy, several people would vouch for me. Still to this day if they were hiring I could get a job there again in a minute. I still keep in touch with everyone. They do have a "Good Ole Boys" club and if your not in it your doomed. The benefits were great in the beginning but they have gotten worse lately. There is no job security. However, there was great growth within the company. Don't let this fool you though. They move you up only to move you out. They do fire people for unbelievable reasons and I have seen this happen often. They are laying people off right now and sadly no one knows if their job will be available when they get back. I have held several different jobs at L&W. Beware that if they like you they will create a job title for you, only to fire you when needed by saying your job is not needed. Sometimes if they eliminate your position they say you can go back to your old position if it is still available. When it rains it pours. If theirs overtime say goodbye to your life, my spouse still works for L&W and when there's overtime I can't even make dentist or medical appointments in advance because I never know when my spouse will be available. Seriously, many times dinner has sat on the table for hours while I was waiting for my spouse to get off work. They did try to keep the work environment clean I can vouch for that. As far as job growth, they do promote within the company. I have seen and been promoted myself and it is fairly easy to move to new position. However, the company makes a lot of spur of the moment decision on what direction the company is going in. When they decide to go in a different direction you can say bye bye to your job. I was once training for a job in Six Sigma. (A new direction the company wanted to go in) and the plant manager was who I reported to directly. He had no idea what six sigma was about. I went to the classes and tried to implement the program and the plant manager was such a stopping block that I just asked for a demotion and went back to my old job. It's kind of difficult when your boss has no idea what your supposed to be doing, and your basically training him. All box minded thinker's they are. What a joke that was. Oh, by the way. While I was training for Six Sigma, they told me to ask a fellow associate for help if I needed it. Later, I was told by the Plant Manager that after my training I would replace that associate and be his boss. I felt so bad and wanted to tell him. What a dog eat dog company. Everyone is in it for themselves. The location was great, living five minutes from the plant. I have seen it so many times. They promote men mostly. They go from operator, to jobsetter, to leader, to coordinator, and then out the door. At first the people getting promoted are loyal to the company up until they get promoted to coordinator. Then they realize that they are being used by the company and side with the hourly associates and usually they get booted out the door. L&W has a hard time treating everyone with equality. I don't know, I used to love working there but after seeing so many people loose their jobs ( I mean really smart, good workers) it kind of has a negative effect on you. Your always wondering if you will be next to go. A good company over all if you mind your own business, with ok benefits. A lot of gossip, it's kinda worse than high school. There is usually a click that you need to fit in with. A lot of drama going on. A lot of dating. HA HA! It was kind of funny. I once had a boss that was a social butterfly with the click in his department. Of course, all pretty girls. He was using the company email to keep in touch with the girls. I wonder why he would have long meeting with them one on one upstairs with the doors locked. What ever could they be doing? HUMM! LOL and they would sit in the office and gossip and make plans for big BBQ's during the weekend. Once saw a girl making out with another associate while her husband was working in tool room on the same shift. I don't even know if her baby was her husbands cause they moved to another state after she got pregnant. Bosses favoring secretaries that sit and read books, study for classes, and do their bills on work time. While treating others that actually work like crap. Seen it first hand and it's still going on to this day. Funny how those people didn't get laid off this year. HUM! Oh and what about the associates that call off because their blood sugar is to high caused by drinking all weekend. And L&W makes such a big deal about not abusing your medical benefits. HUM, they didn't get laid off either. I bet shut down is gonna go smooth as butter. LMAO! I've seen people fired for fighting, looking at others email ( that wasn't password protected), just being too nosy about company business, oh, let's not forget that if anyone looks at a dirty email at work and you see it and don't report it, YOUR FIRED! People have gotten fired for being on disability too long. You name it I've seen it. It was a fun ride while it lasted. I decided to quit and raise my children. Toodles!

From Blissfield Mi — 01/15/2008

Now it's my turn! :-) I was shafted TWICE by this company! I worked at plant 2 in Belleville Mi a few years back. I was fired from there for having a dirty work area and anyone who's ever worked with me knows it is a bunch of crap!I was also fired for not being back at my robot when it was up and running. When your machine/robot goes down, you are instructed to find something else to do quick so your not wasting company time and money. Could somebody tell me how I'm suppose to know my robot is up if I'm off somewhere else finding something else to do? Nobody bothered to find me and tell me! As for plant 4 in Blissfield... I thought better of the idea when I applied but I ASSUMED since it was years later, a different plant, and different people it would be better. NOT! The pay still sucked, There is no job security even for hourly. The location was great since just a few months before I got fired, I bought a house 5 minutes away! Though it was somewhat smokey in the building but it was a welding plant. The only respect you got from salary were the coordinators(supervisors) except one. I ended up getting fired from there for a false accusation of something 2 "friends" said they seen me do. I decided to go through the peer reveiw. FORGET IT! I went through it with witnesses that one was not in the day of my review and the other was on day shift and left by the time they decided to call him, if your witnesses are not there the day of your review, you lose. They go ahead with the review, your witnesses mean nothing to them. I had a former supervisor from another job that has nothing bad to say about me and in fact was a supervisor/plant manager for L&W plant 1. He worked at L&W for about 12 years and he had enough, he got out! He told me the right way to go about the peer review because the way they have it written it's only going to save to company's butt. But by then I had already went through the process and it was to late. Sure you can get some good overtime there but one thing you must know; They look for reasons to fire people, I seen it to other people before it happened to me.

From Lebanon,TN — 05/19/2007

Good pay, good benefits. Eliminate needed people to save money. Hire managers replacements before firing the current manager. Always go to work feeling that this may be your last week. On top of this, not a great place to work. Who is in charge?? No respect amongst managers, mostly due to trust. How can you trust another person when they are spending their time trying to convince your boss that your position is not needed. Go to work not knowing when you are getting off. At the end of the week, looking back it may be a good week. However, not a good job when you go in and have no idea when your getting off!! Work enviroment is similar to high school. Blah blah...ha ha.