Working at L&W Engineering — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about L&W Engineering pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at L&W Engineering

From blissfield, mi — 03/09/2010

well i work there currently, the pay is compareable to most places around. the job security isnt the greatest but it is the auto industry in a depression. i do see alot of people move up from regular production to hilo or welding and even management. so there is growth potential. the benefits are ok, i've had better and i've had worse. i've also had none, so what i have is great in comparison. co-worker competence, well i've known sum really smart ones and some real ding-bats, so its about middle there. its a bit smokey in there but all in all not bad. i dont mind the place myself, it is a job and it pays the bills.

From The real deal — 02/24/2010

C'mon people! If you spent as much effort working as you do blogging there would be no issues. management has the right to expect people do honest days work for honest days pay, right? I know alot of people who wish they had your job. Suck it up, or get out of the way for people who really want to work for a living, not bitch.

From michigan — 02/01/2010

If you are a temp worker looking for a long term career with the L&W company it's just a pipe dream, also many supervisors and managers there are racist! they used me for basically the full six months and then i got a call saying i was layed off and he didn't know why, but i know why, because this company is a cheap ass racist profit concerned waste. with a morbidly obese boss. if your a hi low driver i espceacially wouldn't bother i seen about 15 high low drivers in and out with in a month and a half

From DETROIT,mi. — 11/06/2009

About to get bought out by L &W by Nov.13th.That's on a friday.New name Oakland Stamping(formerly Bing Metals S&A).Have to get interview and fill out a application.So you know what u were making before is gone out the window(benefits,vacation days,personal,sick days,etc......50 or so employees will lose their job.Being on lay-off is a great possibility.This is the way business is done now.No unions!! The other management team couldn't get it done and the economy with the tight bank lending played a big part.So this is where we are @.Only thing i ask is that you be fair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From Blissfeild Mi — 11/06/2009

I am curious about what co-workers have to say

From Belleville, MI — 09/28/2009

Wow.........I left the company back in 2002 and the only problems back then were not enough pay and the insurance costs were increased slightly. I must say I'm glad I left when I did, now I have more experience under my belt and I don't have to worry about a temp taking my job out from under me because I am a temp.
It's hard for any company to make it these days and the people there should just be happy they have a job and quit bitching!! I'm unemployed at the moment and know first hand that most of the temps out there have no other option sometimes due to the fact that the only way to get a job is through a temp service.
I hope that L&W can survive the economy and someday be able to hire some full time people.
Take care,
TF

From Belleville, MI Plants 1 and 2 — 06/29/2009

I worked at Plant 1 and 2 from 1988 until 2005. I was and still am a good friend of one the original owners. I read alot of these comments and yes, some of those I do agree with. The reason I had to leave was my wife, who use to work at both plants also, lost her job in Southfield as a Buyer for GM. That was about the time the economy started to get bad. We moved to Katy (Houston) TX in 2005. But I was let go about a week and a half before MY date to quit. I had planned on leaving L&W on Friday and head to Houston Monday. I was terminated because I left early one day and did not wait for my supervisor in welding to acknowledge my vacation/sick day request. After about two days plant management terminated me and my insurance coverage also. All I needed was my coverage to last about 2 weeks more. Management said no. The next Monday before I left Belleville to head to Houston, as I sat in Meijers parking lot, SCOTT called and said he notified HR and told them to keep my coverage intact as if I was still an employee. That long trip did not seem so bad then. I thanked him and Wayne and of course God. For 17 1/2 years I worked there. Sure we had some not so good times with management. But we got a paycheck! It may come as a surprise to some of the gripers but----THE GRASS IS NOT ALWAYS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE!

From Murfreesboro, Tn Plant 6 — 04/16/2009

Wow, I'm not even sure where to start. I've worked at the m'boro plant for sometime now, wondering everyday if it will be my last, I feel as if as soon as I walk through the door I have a Bulls eye on my back. If they would spend less time trying to hand out occurrences and F-ing people out of their "retro" pay, and more time appreciating the people that bust their butts and take pride in their work it may be an alright place to work...Maybe. Me along with several others I have talked to had all been shorted money WE worked hard for. The head of associate services AKA "HR" thinks he owns the place, he obviously must pay us out of his personal checking account since so many people were screwed out of "retro" or back pay after their 90 day probation period was up or a new position was accepted. We were all promised a raise which was moved to a later date 3 times already, now the raise turned into a 5% pay cut and increase in benefit co-pays and premiums. Wow, I've heard the owner is the 10th richest man in Michigan?? The pay was only ok to begin with but now I'm making less than when I started. Maybe offer extra time off to compensate losing 5% of our pay. by the way you will earn 1 (one) hour per month of sick or emergency time but you will still get an occurance if you use it, even with a doctors note!! ???????
They also talked about bonuses when they were "recruiting" people...that's a JOKE. Not even a christmas bonus. I'm so fed up with these a-holes. All they want are "warm" bodies to show up and slave away. I've witnessed people being fired for talking WHILE the were working! This place is nuts!

You can't even ask a manager how their weekend was! if you are having a drink after work and a manager shows up at the same place they aren't allowed to talk to you? L&W tries to dictate who you are friends with?? I will work harder for someone I like personally, than someone that doesn't respect me as another human being.

From Lebanon Tn — 03/28/2009

The pay is good compared to other plants in this area. They could improve a little in the respect dept. but sometimes they give what they recieve. Our benefits are comparible to other plants around. It is good to some of them. For job security it is rather unsecure right now because of the economy. As long as you are there and do your job without being a whinner you can pretty well depend on staying in your job. As for career advancment they need some lessons there. They are bad about hiring someone off the street instead of promoting within. Of course you have to have someone with the right qualifications, but some of the ones they hire I wonder where they find them. The people in the plant at least knows the jobs. Since the over time has been cut our home life has improved. They do work alot of hours when needed to deliver on time. I love the location it is close to the Interstate and alot if eaterys. All of the co-workers are from different walks of life. Most of the times they are enjoyable but at times we do have some that want to start trouble and we have a co-ordinator that works against this at all times. When this plant first opened it was horrible to work at for the safety issues. But in the last two years I can say it has improved. Although it is still crowded in places. At least you can see where you are going. It could still improve alot if we just had some more footage in the building. What I see that L&W really needs is someone that can keep up with the merchadise that comes in. We loose enough products to buy another plant. No one is held responsible for signing in the products. Some is signed for but never received. Then it is set every where except where it is suppost to be. We really need a overhaul in this department. But I believe in all L&W is about as good as it gets without a Union Base..Sometimes I actually believe they really care about their associates but just have a hard time showing it. Like some people say some plants don't even have benefits and we do. I know at this time it is hard, it is hard on everyone but maybe pulling together we will survive these hard time even with a job...

From blissfield, mi — 03/11/2009

6 years at plant4, I quit in jan. 2006 and had seen it all. There's alot of truth in these posting but there's also alot of cry babys. They had some good people in the being at plant 4 but they made some bad choices as to who they would promoted to managers (maintenance) and did'nt respect the people who were the ones that were making them all there money. Good luck to them cause only the strong will survive in the automotive industry now.