Working at L & L Products — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about L & L Products pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at L & L Products

From Romeo, Michigan — 08/19/2010

I worked for L & L Products for over 10 years and chose to relocate to another state. Alot of the line employees constantly complained about everything. I now work in another career field and now realize how great the company was. The insurance was top of the line compared to what I have now. I have higher premiums, higher copay's and I can only go to certain doctors. Even when the profit sharing started to get lower and lower we were still getting paid (hourly) very well for the work we were doing. I now make alot less than even my lowest year at L & L Products. Yes, there were issues that alot of people did not like but I don't remember L & L Products calling me and asking if I wanted a job. I called them! At my current job we have never had meals provided by the employer, never had an open house, never a barbaque, I have to pay for my uniforms, there is no such thing as a cost of living raise. Even when profit sharing was really high people were still complaining. I have never had or will I ever receive a profit sharing check. Every thing is not perfect there but always remember, it could be alot worse. I miss L & L and I bet there are still many people who would give their left arm to work at L & L for just the hourly wage. For the years that I worked for L & L I was able to provide very well for my family. Other than the large auto companies we probably made more than any other factory in the state. I feel very blessed for the time I was employed by L & L, you should too!

From Romeo, Mi — 01/16/2010

Since when was it against the law to have the freedom to express your opinion on this site? You yourself made a posting on this site, does that mean you should be fired? I'm sure L&L is in no financial position these days to be in lawsuits for firing employees for postings or talking to the outside for that matter. It's too bad that a "Big Brother" watch out mentality would be an attempt to put fear into the employee's eyes. The only fear these days is being laid off into the most difficult job market in over 30 years. The controlling factor in the past when times were good was the 40%+ profit sharing checks which was like a rabbit being lead around with a carrot. L&L is a tight knit group which consists of friends, families, brothers, sisters, aunts and uncles working there, just look at all the same last names in the phone book. It's too bad relatives/friends are the key qualification for unemployment too. I find it hard to believe that ones relative or friend is the most qualified for the job. How could any company improve their talent pool based on hiring relatives and friends? Eventually your competition will surpass you when they come out with more state of the art innovative products than your same old year in year out L&L products. I think L&L will eventually destroy itself internally by hiring friends/relatives and giving the customer the same thing over and over again. Would you like to buy a car or cell phone that never changes? I also believe there is some truth too from other posts that if you don't golf, bowl, hunt or hang out at the bar with the right people your first to go when it's time for layoffs. It's too bad these are the qualifications for maintaining a job and not your skill level, because many of the most talented people were let go because they lacked the buddy-buddy qualifications. I do believe that the owners of L&L are very thoughtful and generous people who truly care about each and everyone one of their employees, and it breaks their hearts to let people go in difficult times. During these difficult times, the owners need to become more observant as to what really goes on in each plant/department to really "Set the new Pace" so we can become "a good place for all who touch it" again.

From Romeo, Michigan — 03/06/2009

In my opinion, L&L Products is a very good place to work with good wages and benefits. For the average person career potential is a little iffy. The plants are kept very clean and most of the time too warm in the winter. I have never believed in any place or job being secure. In restructuring and the current layoffs I am sure they have tried to be fair to every person. Those people who were so unhappy with the company should have moved on before their attitude got so bad. I worked for a company I didn"t care for and moved on. As in anything, you get out of something what you put into it. Many people feel they are owed a living without giving of themselves. I'm sorry for the few who feel the company was bad, god bless you and help you in the future to find what you want.

From Romeo, Mi — 02/26/2009

I want to know why some people worked at L&L as long as they did if they were so miserable. Has anyone found a job yet comparable to our pay, health benefits, profit sharing, 401k, education foundation, dinners, parties, golf outings, free coffee, tea and hot chocolate because I sure can't. I'm going back to school just in hopes to get as close to our hourly wage that we had, let alone all the extras because I know that will never happen again. I really enjoyed my time there and made many friends. It is so sad that some of you think of this great company the way you do. It was not the company's fault that we got laid off. And I give the owners a lot of credit for still hanging in there and not selling because they definitely don't need the money but this is their family. I was not there back in the day when things were good but they sure weren't bad in the time that I was there. As far as being treated fairly from a female's perspective I was not treated any differently then the guys. And the cleanliness of the place was great considering all the black powders, pellets and other chemicals that went into making the materials. I hope that you eventually find what makes you happy in life because working there obviously wasn't it. I will go back in a heartbeat if we ever get the chance.

From Romeo — 02/21/2009

I am so shocked that there is such negativity about L & L. What is wrong with you people? The pay was great, the work environment clean. I got laid off but you know what, L & L hung in there as long as they could, by keeping their employees as long as they could. Laying people off for a month at a time. They did this for 2+ years. The economy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on people I can't believe you were or are so miserable there. L & L has done lots of wonderful things for a lot of people. Scholarship for our children and ourselves. Paid schooling for business related schooling. Dinners for the recently married, new babies, retires. Company picnics, L & L golf outings, The CHRISTMAS PARTIES!!!! If you are saying or have said bad things I hope you can't sleep at night. Remember what goes around comes around!

From Romeo — 01/27/2009

For those of you giving bad feedback.

"Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow..."

From Romeo, MI — 01/24/2009

I stumbled upon this website and when I read the comments on this company I was appalled. It is apparent that the writer has not had any other jobs. The pay for the work at L&L was more than fair add the profit sharing on top of that and it makes it alomost unbeatable. Job security may be a little lower as of late but if the news is to be believed the state of Michigan is the first state to hit double digit unemployment (10.4%). I'm sure you cant blame that entirly on L&L. I believe the comment was made that the owners only care about the money...that statement is just assinine. If that were true all of those BIG profit checks that you have receieved over the years would have stayed in thier pockets. As far having to lay people off well you can't keep people on and continue to lose money just because you like them. If there is to be a chance for a recovery there needs to a restructuring, if this occurs then maybe some of the people can come back to work. I worked at L&L for 10 years and sure I had days that didn't go my way but looking back at it that company did more for me than any other company ever has. Just remember when you get up in the morning yuou have a choice to go to work for such a "horrible" company or go find a better one. I think what you will find is that L&L is a damn good place to work. I no longer work there so you cannot refer to me as a "kiss ass" or what ever name you feel like calling me. Also keep in mind if the owners didn't care that place would have been sold off already like so many other supplier businesses have in the last 5 years.

As far as getting promoted if you apply yourself and don't give up after one failed attempt do not blame the company. I applied for many jobs in L&L and got turned down for most of them, however the three promotions I did get took me to a level that one could argue was one of the best jobs within the company (non-salried)

I met a lot of great people there and still talk to quite a few of them to this day. I also met a few people that I didn't like but that is what is life. You can't expect the perfect enviroment in anything you do.

Do you honestly think the owners of this company are at home sleeping well at night knowing that are laying off the majority of people that helped them get to the point they are? I've met and talked to many people from both families and have heard them say on more than one occasion that they would not be what they are if it wasn't for of people that work in that building.

I guess I will step off my soapbox for now. But just put yourself in someone elses shoes and look at the big picture before you decide to post,in my opinion,immature, ill-thought ideas and stabs at people that most likely helped you pay for your home,food and all the toys that I am sure you have bought with those profit sharing checks for the better part of 50 years.

From Romeo, MIchigan — 01/13/2009

L & L is going through the same economic times as the rest of the nation. It is a good place for all who touch it. The owners are doing what they need to do in the economic times we have. The benefits are very comparable to the area around us. The career growth is what you make of it, if you want to try to better yourself with the company they help you with that as long as you are going to school for something related to the business they are willing to help you out. As for the work enviroment it is stressful at this time, but where isn't it stressful at any job right now. We have had alot of changes in the last few years, yes our president did stepdown but that was his choice. It is a good company to work for, it's just funny when times are good nobody has complaints but when times get a little ruff thats all you hear are complaints. I would advise people to look at L & L for a job, over all its a wonderful company.