Work at Kroger — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Kroger pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Kroger

From Dayton, OH — 11/19/2008

I give pay a -2 rating because even though Kroger acts like they pay better than other places, it's just not true. It doesn't matter how much experience you have, there is a capout because of the union and it is just barely above minimum wage. I give respect a 0 rating because i feel like the management has no respect for the employees whatsoever. All they do is walk around acting like they are better than everyone and bark orders at the employees. I gave the benefits a one, only because you do get a ten percent discount on kroger brand products. I gave job security a 0 because they give you a two month trial period when you start there and most people don't even make it past that. The only people that really seem to stick around are ones that are related to the management in some way. I give a 0 for work/life balance because when you work at Kroger, they want you to make Kroger your life. They schedule you crazy hours and are constantly changing the schedule throughout the week and ruining any plans you might have. I give career potential/growth a zero because there really isn't any way to move up in the company with the way the economy it is right now. I have over ten years retail experience and they don't even have a position for me other than cashier. I give co-worker competence a 3 because there are some people that work there that have been there for years that know what they are doing. Last, I give work environment a 0 because working at Kroger is hell. The customers are always rude and want everything for free. The managers are always yelling at the employees and making them feel like they are worthless. My store only has security a couple days a week and that makes working there scary sometimes

From Memphis, TN — 10/28/2008

All of the reviews I've read are from hourly employees. I have worked in Management for Kroger for over 8 years. For the most part, Kroger has been good to me with steady promotions. They have greatly improved over the past few years with posting jobs, which used to be almost secretive. It is a big company with plenty of opportunity for growth. It is what you make of it. Being retail, you have to work weekends and holidays. Most stores are 24/7. If you are an hourly clerk, you need to be at work on time and do what your supervisor asks of you. If you are having difficulty with your directives, take it to management. But remember, there isn't a whole lot of empathy when it comes to gross jobs. I've had to help clean around the dumpsters and through out all the trash that the Meat, Deli and Produce Department left. Whatever it takes to keep a good customer shopping with us, no matter how painful, we must do. As a bagger or cashier, it is often hard to see the big picture of why things are the way they are. The company's decisions on Union negotiations, pay rates, remodels, sales growth, etc. have to keep Wall Street appeased. I am not the happiest person with Kroger. In management in our area, it is still a male dominated business. Men who don't think they're biggotted are. The good ole boy network is alive and well. The company has spent a lot of money on training to reshape the old culture into a new dynamic culture, but old habits die hard. Our CEO is a swell guy with the best of intentions, it is just going to take a long time to turn this ship around. I would recommend Kroger to folks who understand it is long hours, don't mind working weekends and holidays, don't need a whole lot of praise to stay motivated, and don't mind being yelled at by customers because there will be one to tell you how great things are. And to all angry employees that hate your management, have you ever said hello to them and ask how their day is going? We all fail sometimes to be kind to one another. In a manager's day, we sometimes get so wrapped up in all the things that have to be done that we forget to say thanks. But each store has a team that makes it all happen.

From oregon — 09/02/2008

Need to be in management to live on a single income. Easy to get promoted at Fred Meyer (Kroger). You just have to show up, Do your job, Tell your boss you are looking for promotion and 9 of 10 times it will happen. Work life balance depends on your manager not the company. I've had good and bad as far as scheduling goes. Certain departments are better than others for getting promoted.
They need to be more generous with the heat in the winter. I'm always freezing to dealth. I hate the new dress code. The blue shirts are fugly. We should have more "jeans fridays" too. And they could give us better employee breakrooms.This is all minor stuff though. All and all, I have worked for Kroger 14 years now and plan to be a lifer.

From Houston, TX — 04/10/2008

I just read alot of complaints. It seems like not to many people have had good experiences with the Kroger Co...So I felt I needed to add something positive. Pay is crap, but that is only because of the union. This can be overcome with some motivation and a Management on your side. I started workin for Kroger at age 17 for under $6 an hour. By the age of 19 I was a Grocery Manager for a Grand Opening. Co workers made the environment enjoyable. HEY GUYS! This is a business. Kroger is out to make money. They require so much work because there is an OR (operating ratio) that has to be met that is not made up by Store Managers, but is enforced by them. But needless to say I didnt go out on top. I was a manager for a couple of years doing outstanding things with my department. But, When I could no longer perform to their standards, they transferred me back to my original store. The same Store Manager that got me promoted.....is the same guy that got me busted down. I was demoted. My pay was cut in half. Needless to say I did not stick around. It was a good stepping stone for me. I am currently in the Army makin better money but with alot more risk. No hard feelings for Kroger. If you are an employee and not happy. DO SOMETHIN ABOUT IT. Otherwise Shut the hell up!

From Loganville, GA — 12/14/2007

I just recently got hired for an overnight stocker position at my local Kroger. As I am normally up at night, this was a true blessing. May pay is equal to or slightly better than other night jobs offered by other local supermarkets. I normally work eight hours per night, which is fine. As a part-timer, I work around 4 days per week, which is just about right for me. Because I work at night, this leaves little time available for normal day-to-day life activities, but this is a choice I have made, and has nothing to do with Kroger or their practices.

I must admit, reading all of these negative reviews the day before I started made me feel a little apprehensive, but my were unwarranted, because my Kroger is the exact opposite of everything said here. My managers are nice and respectful, my supervisors are friendly and helpful, my coworkers are competent and fun to be around, and the overall work experience is very positive. I always leave my shift in a good mood. On my days off, I actually miss working.

I left my benefits rating at average because I really don't even know what they are.

Really, this store is simply nothing like the horrible reviews posted here. I'm beginning to think some of the posters just performed poorly or had bad attitudes, and are blaming the store or management for their problems, because I simply cannot see how my store could be so different from the rest.