Working at Kroger — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Kroger pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Kroger

From Anchorage, Alaska — 09/23/2010

I have worked for Fred Meyer for eight years. Benefits are fantastic by retail standards. The company promostes good customer relations so it is fun work.

From Tennessee — 09/10/2010

I have worked at Kroger for 4 months now, and I love it. The most important part of a workplace to me is respect. I have a lot of friends at work now, so that makes things easy. I was a bagger when I started out, then I was quickly made a cashier, then I started working in different departments, and now I'm in customer service, and being trained as a floor supervisor. The customers are why I love Kroger. I like working with people because there is never a dull moment.

Pay - I still make 7.35, but I've only been at Kroger for about 4 months.

Respect - I feel very respected at Kroger. Every request I've made so far has been honored, such as being trained in different departments. They really care about what's best for their employees.

Benefits - None so far, but a week of paid vacation isn't bad by itself

Job Security - Unless the store itself goes under (not happening), I could work at Kroger forever, because I'm one of three people who know how to UScan, cashier, and customer sevice effectively, plus I've been trained in Produce, Floral, Deli, and Meat.

Work/Life Balance - I like my hours, so I can't say much except that at my store, they don't ask you to work past your scheduled time.

Career Potential/Growth - As long as you do your job, keep your nose clean, and have a good attitude toward customers, anyone can grow at Kroger.

Location - Work is 10 minutes away from my house.

Co-Worker Competence - This is widely ranged. You have some people that sit outside on their breaks and get high and you have some who do their job well.

Work Environment - There are a lot of good people who work at Kroger, but some of the managers don't know what they're doing, and some people don't care.

Overall Kroger is a great place to work if you intend to do your job the right way.

From Mount Vernon, Ohio — 03/29/2010

I worked at Kroger in High school and only made 7.25 an hour. The pay was fine considering I was part time and not looking for a career. Its not a bad place to work there were a few managers that were stuck up and rude to you but overall very good people work at kroger. Most of the customers treat you well and the breaks are sufficient. I worked there for about a year and my wage increased 1.25 an hour in that year of course thats when minimum wage went up to 6.85 but they still paid me forty cents over. Location is good because they are everywhere. There is potential for growth if your committed to your job and plan on staying there awhile. The work life balance is good because you only work 5 days a week and forty hours and if you do work over its time and a half so really nothing to complain about. I thought this job sucked at the time but now with having a few other jobs under my belt I realized other than the pay I had it great and I cant speak to benefits because I did not recieve them.

From Springfield, MO — 02/25/2010

Kroger is not a terrible company to work for; however, the pay is pretty pathetic (specifically at Dillons.) You'll start off at minimum wage for most positions, and then, after a thousand or so hours of working, you'll get something like a 15 cent raise. The second raise, after another thousand hours, is about 35 cents. That's about two years or so for most part-timers.

However, at least for my position, the company has accommodated my odd hours (I'm a college student) fairly well, and the job security is about as high as job security can get. However, the room for advancement is quite low, as most of the people in higher positions seem to have been working for five years or so at an absolute minimum, and more likely ten. I don't particularly want to work in a grocery store that long with such small raises and such small room for growth.

From Springfield, OH — 11/05/2009

I was a loss prevention officer. I had to hold a paid police commission in addition to this job, in order to carry my fire arm under cover. They pay very well compared to other LP jobs in the industry! A few of the baggers/cashiers were VERY jealous of my wage (somebody leaked it before I worked at our store), but once I explained how much liability and outside-Kroger training was required, they quickly shut up.

The company considers it part-time (despite being able to work up to 40 hours a week!) and exempt from the union and any benefits of any kind. The management was exceptionally nice and flexible with my schedule, and very professional on the sales floor. Behind office doors the anti-union rhetoric was a bit much at times. I had to give up my position to take on a full-time police job (benefits, etc) but I wish I didn't! I miss my job at Kroger!

From Lexington, KY — 10/21/2009

Depending on what department you work in, this is a nice place to work. Cashiers tend to have it more stressful just like the deli and customer service. You are usually not worked to the bone unless you work slow or it's a holiday/game day/ senior day. There is some down time and if you have good co-workers it could be quite fun. I worked there 3 years and pay was close to minimum wage, benefits were meh, but security is there. They won't fire you unless you are extremely bad. It's not stressful and there is room for growth in other depts or manager. Sadly it is not everywhere otherwise i'd be there still.

From Lexington, KY — 08/02/2009

I've been at Kroger for 6 years. I'm in college and will be graduated next year, but for a part time job I can't beat Kroger. I've went from 6.20 and hour to 10.35 an hour in 6 years. Name another part time job that gives you that, PLUS 2 weeks paid vacation, personal days, holiday pay (don't even have to work the holiday, just the week) and is VERY lenient with my school schedule. Also, I plan to enter management which means this job allowed me to go from night shift to dairy to bread to grocery days to front end and up to management and keep the experience along with that.

From Plano, Texas — 06/08/2009

I had worked for Kroger for a year and the pay was WAY below what I thought it should have been considering I worked in the deli/bakery department. $6.00 to start with a 15cent raise six months down the line. I found that due to the union even overnight workers start that low. Once union dues are taken out whether you signed with them or not, you barely have enough to live on.

Respect: I gave a 3 cause my department manager was a Very Nice Lady that has been with the company for over 30 years (She worked up from being a courtesy clerk) and she treated all of us fairly and never talked down to us. Which is one reason I LOVED working there. Some of the other managers showed respect as well towards others despite your title. There was a couple of "Bad apples" there that walked around like they were Gods and treated the non butt kissers like crap.

Benefits: I gave a negative 4 cause although they CLAIMED I had benefits and the union was taking money out of my check I NEVER got an insurance card and when I called the Supposed insurance company they had no record of me whatsoever!

Job Security: As long as you showed up on time and did your job, your job was secure(Thats with any job though. Although a previous poster here was correct in saying they will keep you at part time status but work you up to 40 hours until you get close to the 12th week and then drop your hours.

Work/Life Balance: I gave it a 4 because my department manager wrote our schedule and as long as you let her know (in writing) in advance you need a day or days off for whatever reason she would let you have it off. I was on a set schedule so it was easy to do errands or spend time with family. Yeah you got to work holidays and it was usually only for a few hours that the store was opened.

Career Potential/Growth: There is Potential for it but you have to actually discuss it with your department manager or whomever the supervisor is. I talked to mine about working in the bakery as a cake decorator and was starting to be cross-trained in the bakery. I know people that started out as a bagger and is now a department head all within a matter of months. I believe that if a person really wants to move up in this company they have to have the drive to do something about it.

Location: It was really close to my house to where I could walk to work. The store was near a high school and a few industries so it got REALLY busy specially during the lunch and supper hours.

Co-Worker Competence: Being in the deli, you get sent to a special training program for the products the deli carries. Everyone was knowledgeable in the deli/bakery department, we did have a few incidents where a new worker didnt want to work and just talk but they didnt last long. The department manager didnt put up with laziness and would transfer you out in a heartbeat if she sees or hears youre not doing anything. There were also times when I would swear a co-worker left their brain at home but it was usually because their personal life would distract them from what they were doing. The department head let them have some time off to get their personal life back in order... without any penalties for the missed time(no write ups or anything) which I thought was cool.

Work Environment: I REALLY loved working in that department but I still didnt give it a 5 cause I must admit there were days when the customers made you want to scream back at them. There were also days when you come in and a co-worker or manager was having a bad day and they would take it out on you. The overall store work environment was always one that seemed stressed..from department heads rushing around filling up their items within a time limit, department employees being called to be a cashier due to people calling in, customers complaining about every LITTLE thing from them trying to claim a price is lower than what it is to the squeaking tire on a shopping cart(YES I have heard a customer complain about that), and various other things that goes on with working in a grocery store.
I'm not saying Krogers is a Great Place to work and I'm not going to say its Horrible cause in my opinion I know every store is different so IF your lucky enough to get into a store like mine where it was fun and managers actually cared then you CAN go far. Unfortunately it seems there are more bad stores than good. So good luck to anyone looking to work for Kroger...I would still be working at that store if I didnt have to move away.

From Atlanta, GA — 03/07/2009

This wont be long. I LOVED working at Kroger when I was an employee. I made great money for the type of work and considering I was a part-time cashier. Right off Briarcliff Rd. My co-workers knew almost everything about the store and/or their area's. The business itself re-hired me 5 times and will do it once again when this market levels out.

Pay: was great, I'll even post it. I started at $6.35 an hour and ended up at the top of my pay scale in 2.5yrs. at $9.10.

Respect: the business and staff honored all my requests for time off and made it possible to live just fine as I had to jobs and was an out-of-stater that made many trips back up north during my employment. All mistakes to pay were corrected THAT DAY.

Benefits: I cannot rate this fairly as I had a full-time job that also had benefits.

Job Security: It is the food industry, it HAS to be around. As stated above I am still able to be re-hired after leaving for the 5th time.

W/L Balance: Assuming this is directed at being able to relax when needed. This business does a great job at making it easy for me.

Career: I was up for a role as a full-time cashier before I moved, but I would believe it is possible to start from the ground up and move quickly up the chain if you are a good mindful employee. I wish I never left to tell you the truth.

Location: It's Georgia, I lived 15miles from where I worked. But as I said it is GA. It is just there. I personally don't mind traveling.

Co-Workers: Knew EVERYTHING I needed to ask, I almost never needed to ask management. The store was very well managed and the management staff was always there to help, even the store manager of 12+ years wasn't difficult to work with.

Work Environment: I must of been in the best example of a Kroger possible. My store was always clean, neat (sorta) and the staff and management; as listed above we're great, period. I'ma come back there as soon as possible when I relocate. I'll even take a pay-cut, that is JUST how great of a place this store is.

From Lexington, KY — 12/02/2008

Best part time job ever. I started out at 6 an hour and now am up to 10 an hour after 4 years. Plus I get holiday and 2 weeks vacation pay with personal days. Most part time places never give you that. Not only do they work around my college schedule, but once I get my degree, I can move into management and will start around 30k a year or more. Name me another job that will let you move from 3rd shift part time and carry your time over to management making salary plus bonuses. Besides dealing with clammy customers, this is a great job and can't find myself to leave it.