Work at Kohl's — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Kohl's pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Kohl's

From Lexington, KY — 03/09/2010

I've worked at two Kohl's because I moved out of state. They made the transfer easy and pain free, but that was because the store I came from was run amazingly well. Moving stores was interesting. I didn't realize how well my original store was until I came to Lexington. Seeing the two stores has allowed me to make comparisons and evaluate what comes from the company and what comes from the store.
The pay is okay. I didn't start at minimum wage and neither has anyone else I've talked to. Yeah, they say not to discuss your pay, but come on! I was a supervisor before the move but kept my pay when I got to KY even though my title had to go, so that worked out nicely.
As far as respect goes, I feel I got more in Florida than I do here, but that's not to say the managers are disrespectful, they're just a little less forthcoming with the compliments and appreciation.
Someone else already said this, but its not common that part-time associates get any benefits at all so that's a plus.
Its easy to have a work/life balance being part-time. I get roughly 20 hours a week and its all closing shifts that start at about 4:30, so I have an entire day before I go in which has made it easy to pick up the necessary second and third jobs.
I'm not sure about career potential, I moved up to supervisor very quickly but the only way I see it being a career is to be one of the executives, and it hasn't been made clear to me what needs to happen in order to get one of those spots. I got the supervisor spot fairly quickly but I don't see any further movement up the ladder happening any time soon.
Locations have been easy to get to. We only recently got Kohl's in Florida and the one I worked at was 1.6 miles from my apartment. In KY its about 8 miles, not bad.
My co-workers are also pretty competent. Like many others have said, my associates make it worth it. Only we know the pain of the lazy customers.
I understand why credits are such a big deal to the company, but I personally couldn't care less. They even changed the review policy to include credits in a different way for associates but I don't care. I am highly self-motivated and do comparatively more than other floor associates, I still have zero desire to solicit credits. I only offer it when it will really benefit the customer
I sometimes use the "Yes We Can" policy for getting credit. If customers sign up during scratch offs, they get 30%.
As a company, I think Kohl's is awesome. I wish we could limit people on how much they take into the fitting rooms, or give them numbers so they have to bring the stuff back out with them. How absolutely disrespectful is it to leave the clothes you tried on, on the floor of the fitting room. COME ON!! I cannot stand it! I don't even care if its hung or folded, at least bring it back out. If you can carry it in, you can carry it back out I'm sure.

From New York — 03/04/2010

OMG!!! i have been ready to quit sooo many times it not even funny!! first of all, the managers are up your butt about credit, which i have never gotten, i work in the shoe dept. and most of the time I'm busy cleaning or customers already have it or don't want it and I'm not gonna push it. It is pretty hard to get fired but sometimes you almost wish you would get fired. Most of the managers respect you and thank you but turn around the next minute and yell at you so I gave respect a 2. The pay is minimum but I expect that and I'm part time also but then again I'm doing a lot throughout the day so that got a -5. Benefits are good and a little pricey for me but since I'm still living at home while I go to school I didn't need them. I really don't know about the growth part of the job, from what I've been reading it's non-existent so I would just move on of you want a better position in the store. The location is pretty good they opened a closer one to me but I decided to stay where I am now. The one sun spot in the whole job is that most of the co-workers I work with are nice and willing to help you out because they know about all the craziness that goes on.

The work environment is nuts!! your mostly are gonna be picking up stuff from the floor and folding or just putting it back up off the floor because of the lazy customers. I can't even tell you how many times I would be straightening up and I would see a customer trying on shoes and making a mess and see me later to say they left me a mess!!! I'm like Great Thank You! That's just what I need! I've even heard stories from co-workers who have said that they should expect customers to be nasty to us and i'm like no i don't think so, grown people with home training should know how to act no matter where they are at! Around the holiday and back to school season expect to be a lot busier and crazier, but you will get a lot of hours during this time so enjoy it because january on your gonna be begging for hours and bored out of your mind unless its a really good sale.

Kohl's is an alright place to work if it's your first job or second job but if you can avoid it please do! It's a nice place to be if your a customer but as you read from all the other reviews, not so much being a worker.

From Howell, NJ — 02/24/2010

I can understand the comments that most of you have made..the "Yes We Can" attitude is great for the customers, but as an employee, it is very frustrating. The customers get away with everything. We all talk about how the customers think we're all a bunch of idiots because we give them whatever they want. They make a mess of the fitting rooms, they tell you they forgot their 30% coupon..(honestly, when I have ever had a 30% coupon, I put it in my handbag right away)...I've even had people come up to me and ask me if we have a coupon out this week, when I tell them yes, they have told me that they left their 50% coupon at home...When I tell them we don't have 50% coupons they actually argue with me...Sorry..They can argue all they want. I used to be a people person, but since I'm working at Kohl's, I really dislike people. But I'm sure that anyone in a job that works with the general public feels that way. Restaurants, food stores, any other retail store, they all get the same bull handed to them, but Kohl's takes it. All my co-workers feel the same as I can see all the comments here are saying the same thing.

The difference between what you are all saying and how I feel is that our managers show us a lot of respect. We are thanked everyday for a job well done. If we have a problem, we are listened to and if something can be done, then they do something about it. There is a lot of push to get credit, but I am not POS, and no matter how much they say they need to get credit, I rarely ask anyone. I think I have gotten 3 credit cards open in the year and a half that I am there.

All the associates are very competent. Just about everyone is cross trained. We cover for one another all the time. I do replenishment, freight, POS, some customer service and I work the Misses, Men's and Juniors dept. The training was OK..When I trained for POS, I spent as much time practicing as I felt I needed until I was comfortable. Now and then there will be something I've been thrown into that I don't know how to do, but all the managers say..."Just ask"..and when I do, someone will help me. We do a lot of "parties"..there is a group of associates on a committee that come up with themes for gatherings we have in the breakroom. For inventory we had breakfast and lunch brought in for 2 days. For the entire month of December we have food brought in every weekend. Then we have jeans days, sneaker days and our Christmas party is in January, it is catered and we have a gift auction.

We are all close, we are like a family. We often go out together after work. A movie, dinner, meet for lunch, a party at someone's house..we were even invited to a party for our 04 before she got married given by our 13 in her home. We have a lot of fun at work, because we really like one another. Our managers get on the floor with us and help clean up at night (even our 01)...the morale in our store is great. Most associates say they stay because of the people, because let's face it, the job is not going to keep you there.

We all complain that it is a lot of work for a little paycheck, but even when the customers get their 15% off, don't forget we get another 15% on top of that...no it's not a fortune, but when you know the sale is going to be good and you have a 30% coupon, then you get your 15% on top of that, it is not bad. We are always allowed to put merchandise on hold till we find the best time to buy it.

There is no place that I have ever worked that has offered their part timers benefits..We have quite a few part timers that are working in Kohl's for benefits. They have full time jobs where the benefits cost more and give less. In this day and age with things the way they are, that is something that a lot of people find impossible to afford....if Kohl's can help them out with that, then that is something I have to give them credit for.

As far as my schedule...it is so flexible. I am part time, but I very seldom work less than 20 hours..this week I had 32. When I need off, I simply tell them when, and I'm off. I went on vacation when I wanted for 2 weeks. I didn't have to put in for a vacation when no one else was taking it. It didn't matter to them when I went.

Kohl's is not perfect. There is a lot of frustration, but the management in the Kohl's I work in are respectful, caring, hard working and social. We care very much for one another, we are truly a TEAM. We work, eat, and play together. We often have a community project that we work together and I think things like that bond us to one another. I have read all the reviews here, and consider myself lucky to work at the Kohl's that I work at.

From Maryland — 01/19/2010

There are the good and bad about Kohl's, as there are with any job. Every supervisor I've had was down to Earth, understanding, and patient. The E3's and up can be a little annoying, but whatever... It all depends on whether or not you have a good store manager. At my store, we have a fantastic, hard-working, store manager. He doesn't look down on you just for being an associate. In fact, he pitches in and will put out recovery whenever he has time. They do expect you to pick up extra shifts, and the E3's will try to make you feel bad if you don't, but ignore it. If you work hard, they respond, if you don't, expect them to say something as well. I've been ignored many times when I page for additional to my department, but I would recommend becoming good friends with your 27 otherwise that page will go ignored too. Not a bad place to work.

From West Virginia — 01/14/2010

I have worked for Kohl's for 2 and 1/2 years, and can honestly say that I think it is a great company. Part-time associates start out a little above minimum wage. As a full-time supervisor, my pay was lower than I was expecting, but I recieved decent raises on an annual basis.

Like any work environment, we have a few bad seed who have bad attitudes and like to cause drama, but for the most part, there is a high level of respect across the board.

I am a full-time employee, and I must say that the health benefits are far better than any that I had previously. They have also made a lot of great changes to their retirement plan.

As a company, they are doing very well financially, so job security does not seem like an issue at this time.

I reported directly to the store manager and had an outstanding relationship with her, so I've never had a problem with them working around my schedule, esp. when I decided to go back to school. I actually can't think of a time when the management team in general hasn't been willing to work with an employee on his or her schedule.

One area that I am very disappointed is the career potential/growth. I have recieved nothing but compliments from my manager and district manager, as well as several other managers within the district. HOWEVER, I have graduated from college and been in contact with the territory hiring manager for over a year and received nothing but empty promises in regardsto my advancement within the company. For this reason, I have lost a lot of respect for a company who claims to "promote from within."

My store is located in an up and coming shopping plaza, so location is good.

I have a great relationship with all of my co-workers. 95% are competent and good workers.

Work environment is better than most retail stores. It is true that the company is a little insane about pushing their credit card. With the exception of the spring, the store is usually staffed well, but the lack of hours is true for most retailers this time of year.

I'm definately not claiming that every store is run as well as mine is or staffed with such a great group of people. However, I have had far more positive experiences with the company than negative.

From Niles, Ohio — 01/11/2010

The job is pretty good for a college student life style. There is nothing great, but they keep all of their employees who really want to keep their job. The pay is not so great and the yearly raises for year after year dedicated employees is not so great. Ive been there for 5+ yrs and have had better paying seasonal jobs in between. That was the only way I could make it. .... Well that and living with my parents. If you live on ur own, you won't here financially unless you live in a homeless shelter. Kohls, expect ...... something, just not GREAT things.

From IL — 11/30/2009

Pay-It's not the greatest 25 cents over Illinois min. wage, but it's not worthy enough to make a butt-load of money right out of the gate.

Respect- I give respect to all the execs there and they return it to me believe it or not, they always ASK instead of TELLING me to work another shift or if I could stay after for a lil bit. I was in the Army before I started working at Kohls so I'm use to giving respect and receiving it after you have gave them respect, so it's all even there.

Benefits-I'm part time, none to speak of.

Job Security- The few months that I've been there I've seen a few people quit but no one has been terminated, and just the other day my lead (I work in a department instead of POS or customer service) told me the other day they plan on keeping me and are going to try to get rid of this other person who does no work.

Work/Life balance- So far so good, there good at scheduling around my school schedule, but it just changed and I have to go make sure that they can work around this new one.

Career potential/growth- I'm sure it's there, my 01 apparently started as Holiday Help and is now the head manager at the store I work at.

Location-About 6 miles from my house, not too bad.

Co-Worker Competence- it seem's like there are a few people at the store that do all the work and the rest just try to skate by doing the minimum amount of work to satisfy the management.

Work Enviroment- I love it, it's pretty laid back, and I just worked black friday from 3:30 AM till noon and I would have to say that everyone was nice and calm, my 01 was kinda blunt and mean that day, but it was pretty hectic so I understand.

All in all I would have to say that working at Kohl's is a great thing, all stores are diffrent but this one seems like it's outstanding. My 02 and 03 are always out on the floor filling and working which helps me do my work better knowing there not in there sippin' coffee and talking smack on employees my 01 is never on the floor but she's got a store to run so I understand her not being able to be on the floor helping fill and whatnot. I was in the Army before this so it's a nice change of pace, all these people who are "Oh they talk to me bad bla bla bla" Your lucky you found a job this easy in an economy like this, I consider myself to be lucky to have found this job, so take it as you will...I would so recommend working at Kohl's, well at least at the store I work at.

From Janesville, WI — 11/28/2009

I've been working at Kohl's for almost 2 years and I love it. I only work part-time, but I find it a fun and challenging place to work. I am very fortunate that I have absolutely wonderful managment and some of the best co-workers you can have to work with. Our team takes our job serious, but we definitely have fun while we are at work. I really can't complain . . .

From IL — 11/12/2009

I have worked for Kohls for six years.. I look at my job at Kohls as a place to make a little extra money not as a career. I work overnight and I think that is one of the reasons I have been able to stay for six years. I love the supervisors we have overnight and we have a good overnight team, with the exception of a few but it would be like that anywhere.

Pay. I don't expect to become rich working at Kohls but I do think the pay is subpar. I have heard that the employees at the store I work are the lowest paid in our district.

Respect. What I have seen is in order to get respect you have to give respect. I may not agree with something my manager has said or done but I do respect them. In turn I have been given respect. I have had the managers come to me and ask me questions when there is a problem and have been told they respect my opinion and honesty. I have seen many times where an associate will back talk or just show a total lack of respect for the manager, they should not expect to be treated well when they do. It is true that if you are liked and do your job well you will get more hours. If you slack or backtalk to the managers it will show on your schedule.

Benefits. I think Kohls has a great benefit package for those who are elegible for it, for part-time though the benefits are not good.

Job security. I think it is extemely hard to get fired from the Kohls I work for. I do agree with others that they won't fire you but if they want to get rid of you they just won't schedule you. I feel pretty secure with my job.

Work/Life balance. Working nights has been very good for me. One of the reasons I did overnights was so I could be available for my family during the day. My children would be at school so I would sleep when they were gone and I was able to be there during the day if I had to be, even though I was tired. I think it is very easy to request time off. We just go in and request time off with no questions asked. The only time they would refuse was if it was Christmas season and even then I have seen people get off for a special request. I would not want to work the regular hours.

Career Potential/Growth. I think the potential for growth is there if you want it. I have been asked several times if I would like to become a lead and I turn it down because I simply do not want the responsibility of that. I believe I could be an area supervisor by now if I had wanted to train for it.

Location. The location of my store is perfect for me. It is also good for our customers where it is located. Easy access in and out.

Co-worker Competence. Well like any place you have those who will be good workers and those who aren't. I think we have a good overnight team that works well together for the most part.

Work Environment. I do think the work environment can become stressful and hostile at times. This is my 7th Christmas season and it is always stressful now. I know what to expect and can let it roll off my back, however, if I was the supervisor I am sure it would be even more stressful. I believe that my overall view of working at Kohls is different than a lot of others simply because I work overnight. We have two great overnight supervisors that make it easy to work under them. If I had to work during the day when the management was there I think I would have a totally different opinion of working there. I like and get along wtih all 4 of our managers but I could not work with some of them on a day to day basis.

I hear comments from the associates who work during the day and it just does not seem like a pleasant place for them. I have seen some of the women in tears because of the things said to them from the manager. I would not work there if that happened to me. They work on a bare bones crew and do have to do a lot, but I do see plenty of associates standing around doing nothing. It goes back to having good workers and not good workers.

I plan to be at Kohls for quite awhile longer.

From Newton, NJ — 11/12/2009

Honestly, I must have been lucky and blessed with the store I have been placed at. I read many reviews where people hate the environment, work, and managers and get no respect from them or from fellow associates. Personally, some of my best friends are co-workers of mine I've worked with and I have very good personal relationships with my managers. Job security is the same as anywhere else, hours aren't always the best or most available as they possibly could be, but coming from past jobs..I find Kohl's to be an incredible place to work and I have very, very little complaints.