Working at Kohl's — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Kohl's pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Kohl's

From Goshen, IN — 10/14/2010

Have mostly good managers.....only a couple who are difficult to work for. I work very hard in my department on the floor, but that is all negated because I do poorly on credit applications and emails. Never worked for a company which would rather have lots of credit and didn't care much about what was done on the floor. We have a nice clean store, but it is hard work sometimes when we are short-handed in the clothing departments for cleanup and on registers where there are never enough to help customers, so people are called out of their departments. In some ways it is better that we rehang clothing and take it back to the floor. There is more cleaning when the customers do it, especially in Intimates.
Everyone, not just the POS people, are required to get credit and there are lectures when we don't. I love helping customers and giving them a positive experience and have gotten many spoken compliments, but because I am not good at selling credit and emails, I am always in trouble. Not to mention knowing that our store is not acknowledged for good service because "surveys" are not turned in by customers. (I would think our steady business would prove that people like us)
The part-time hours are never the same so not only must you schedule special events at least 3 weeks ahead, but you cannot plan a budget successfully to pay bills. Sometimes it is 20+ and sometimes it is 4. Usually we can tell though since I think they have to cut payroll toward the end of the month. It is also better for the manager when they can have new people working, since they make a lot less than the older, dependable part-timers.
I have been here 8 years and will continue unless they force me out because of credit. Even at my age (not a young person), I work very hard and sometimes it means taking a pain pill because of having Fibro. But I would not think of working less than required. I just hate credit!!!!

From florida — 08/22/2010

I have been reading these reviews that everybody has posted, and I'm actually quite shocked. I understand that people don't like their job, and retail is definitely not for everyone, but almost every single person up here seems to hate their job. The benefits for a part time employee aren't spectacular, but they are damn sure better than having none at all. Everybody feels like they don't get compensated well enough, news flash if you are applying at kohls for a part time position you're obviously not ceo material or else your resume would shine and you would be making a lot more money a year. Everybody in life has the option whether or not to go to work that day and whether or not THEY are going to make the most of it. You got hired because at one time you had a big smile on your face, and a positive attitude. Don't ruin everybodys experience there because you are not satisfied in life. I personally love this company, whether the customers are great or horrible. They pay our paychecks and that is what matters. I worked really hard to get where I am, and I always put in 100% or more with whatever I dowhenever I am there. This is a business people, not burgerking.. you can't always have it your way. Great company. You truly get out what you put in.

From Staten Island, NY — 07/13/2010

I'm a little surprised by the reviews on this page. I work in a level 2 store which is fairly busy and yes we do recovery at the end of night but i find that if everyone is working and not slacking the job gets done rather quickly.
My management team hardly spends any time in the office they are all out on the floor assiting with projects, markdowns etc... i mean all management from exectuiives to areas to department leads to part time we all work together. My 01 WILL EVEN HELP OUT IN CUSTOMER SERVICE WHEN REALLY BUSY AND SOMEONE HAS CALLED OUT. And Yes the company emphasizes on Credit and E-mail but that is how they get coupons and advertisement out to bring the customers in without the customers there is no hours. Mayhbe the fact that you only get 4hrs 1 day a week your not as good of an employee as u think. The avaerage associate in my store gets 24 hrs a week u only get 1 day when either u SUCK or thats your availability. Also my manager ensures that we honor requests and vacations for everyone she believes in a work life balance the only time she says NO and even then if u need a day she will try to give it to u is during christmas when its all hands on deck. as far as pay goes I do agree for a part time associate its not enough to live off of and the raises could be better. Now to address advancement there is room to advance but only when a FT position becomes available. U have to realize we work for an 80% PT Company 20% FT. A store manager just can't promote someone because they want to their needs to be a position for that person and even then there is guideline of how much of a raise they can recieve. SO TO ALL U HATERS IF U HATE YOUR JOB THAT MUCH QUIT COMPLAINIG AND JUST QUIT WE DON'T WANT U THERE AS MUCH AS U DONT WANT TO BE THERE. BY THE WAY I'VE BEEN WITH THE COMPANY ALMOST 7 YEARS

From Florida — 07/08/2010

This job sucks ..they keep on hiring new people and cutting hours of the old people. People that hate the job and don't do the job well enough get promoted while employees that work their butts off don't get promoted and not awarded for the good work they do.

So much to do at work and so little time somedays.

Store is making their sales goals but yet hours keep getting cut doesn't make sense.
Also this store/company is all about credit cards.

Also with a review your review is going to based off of how many credit cards you get and also your pay raise if you get one is going to be based off how you do in credit not fair and your review should be based on how well of a job your doing and your hard work not if you get credit cards off the floor.

also when they keep cutting hours it makes it hard to figure out if your going to have enough money to pay your bills each week / each month.......

not a good job wish i could find another job so I could quit this ONE/give my two weeks notice

From Florida — 05/27/2010

I have read numerous comments that are negative about working for Kohl's. I would like to remind people that all of the part time positions at Kohl's require no experience or college education hence being paid minimum wage. There is potential for moving up to a supervisor position but it requires really going above and beyond, patience and a good attitude. Yes customers can be rude but that is everywhere, yes payroll hours get cut but that is based on store performance (they aren't going to fund payroll dollars when the sales are low!), yes you must SELL credit cards but the pressure to that is nothing compared to sales pressure in banking or some other sales environments (I have been under that kind of pressure). It takes finesse to get customers to want the card you can't just be robotic about it, and it is a numbers game the more you ask the better your chance at getting credit. It is part of the job and there are worse jobs. If you want a better job then get the education or training to be qualified for a better job.
That being said, although I am not paid a lot I am a full time supervisor and really do like my work, I like helping customers and merchandising. I don't mind telling every customer about the benefits of our credit card and I don't get ruffled when I am faced with a rude customer. (bank customers are much worse!) I have worked with excellent and poor managers, that happens everywhere too. The managers are the only ones who make good money so if you are looking for a career at Kohl's you either graduate college and apply as a management trainee or you work very very hard part time and hope that the right people notice. I love working so close to home, getting good health insurance (full time gets comprehensive), and a flexible schedule.

From FL — 05/20/2010

Pay is crappy :-(
At the Kohl's I work they are now hiring more people when the old people want and need hours and they are saying our hours are going to get CUT ......not good.............:-( when we have bills to pay!

really need a full-time job at another company.....

and then they also tell us to be friendly to the new hires when they are going to take our HOURS GRRRR

ugh :-(

not a good place to work
if you love shopping here you won't love working here
and they advertise a generous discount when they are hiring new people and the old people we just laugh cause 15% off isn't a generous discount in our minds

and no benefits and also not treated well

and so much work to do and so little time when you on the closing shift especially

From Florida — 05/06/2010

Pay sucks need a raise! and more hours
sucks that the new people they hired don't care and others that have been there longer have to pick up the extra work or finish recovering because of others slacking off and being lazy

no career growth as of yet

sucks
but at least its a job

From NY — 05/04/2010

Kohls is not that bad people, if you don't like it quit.
Me? I love working there.
Not everything works for everyone, but I'm glad this works for me :)

From florida — 04/27/2010

The pay isn't good at all..
The hours aren't that great either
when important people come to the store other employees get pissed off or have an attitude
some people think that they are better than everyone else
it sucks working here totally

From Canyon Country, California — 03/27/2010

ive been with kohls for 2 years now. kohls and i have this love-hate relationship. some days i hate my job and want to just wanna quit but then other days i dont wanna leave. everyone complains bout their job its totally normal. we work in retail were alloed too, but some of you need to get a grip, seriously. shut it at least you have a job.