Work at KMart — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about KMart pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at KMart

From Jackson, Wyoming — 02/01/2009

I loved this job. I was a cashier, the pay was good, but Wyoming pays better than other states because it has jobs than people to fill them. Management was the greatest, would work with you on your schedule. I was working another job and just had to show them my hours at the other job, and management would try to fix my work schedule around that. Customers were great, not at all like Walmart customers. Kmart customers treated employees with respect, wanted to talk to you, wanted to get to know you. I didn't work there very long but if I ever go back to that area I will try to get a job there again. I wasn't there long enough for benefits but I think they had some fairly good benefits. The woman in Human Resources juggled many hats and was very down to earth. I liked the front end employees and management. Hats off to this store!!!!!

From MN — 09/29/2008

I worked at KMart five six years ago. I think I was just lucky to have a good experience there since the reviews aren't that good here. It could be the store I was at that made the difference. Since I was there while they were in bankruptcy the pay was not too good considering the amount of work that I had to do. The benefits were not very good either. I was always worried that our store would be on the closing list so I didn't feel very secure and there wasn't much career growth into management. I was comfortable in knowing I would not be fired and I did get six raises in the year I was there. There was an okay amout of work/life balance. They were reasonable with my schedule and time off requests since I didn't make too many demands. The coworkers were decent for the most part. There were some that lazy or dumb, but they weren't the ones getting promoted to department managers. The full-timers were great to work with. The location was really good. It was close to my house and the work environment was very team oriented. Management was very supportive of workers needs as long as they were reasonable. I knew I could talk to them about concerns at any time. They gave me the respect I deserved. I was probably just lucky to work there at a good time because I heard it has gone downhill lately.

From Bowling Green, KY — 06/16/2008

I worked for Kmart for 5 years during college, and it was a great college job. The first two years I worked for a great assistant manager who eventually left for Wal-Mart, and for the last 3 years, I worked overnight full time while attending full time classes during the day. The manager and crew overnight was awesome. We had a blast and got a lot of work done. The last couple of years I was there, we had a new store manager, and he really turned the store around. The store looked better than any Kmart I've ever been in, and he actually made it profitable, thus the store survived all of the downsizings during bankruptcy. I think I could have moved up with Kmart had I chosen to stay, but I moved out of state after graduation and went into management with another company. I doubt every Kmart was as good as the one I worked at, but I had no complaints - Kmart put me through college!

From Traverse City (Acme) — 03/13/2007

I worked for Kmart while in college on my sumemr and winter breaks from 2000-2004. I started as a cashier but quickly made my way into the Electronics Department where I initially requested to be in (I'm sorta into techy stuff). Anyways, I really liked it there. The pay was excellent for an entry-level, high school/college kid-type job and the hours were usually pretty steady. Only managers got 9-5 M-F shifts but it didn't bother me too much. I worked 1pm-10pm on random days and I was fine. The only bad part of working at Kmart is that its pretty boring and there's always talk of "downsizing" every couple of months. Kmart just doesn't make the money Walmart does and after filing bankruptcy in 2001, many people avoid staying there too long. Also, a bad thing is that the pay sucks if you are a manager and its your full time job. Assistant store managers generally make between $10-$12/hr. and the only person who gets paid well is the store manager. Also, it's very hard to work your way up from a entry-level cashier because once people get into certain departments they don't leave.