Working at KMart — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about KMart pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at KMart

From Rockford, IL — 08/15/2010

I am 21 and have been working at Kmart since I turned 16. It is my first and only job. Overall I really enjoy my job at Kmart. I was hired in as a supervisor and customer service associate so there really isnt any farther I can go in the company except an upfront lead and that doesnt come around too often since you usually have to work there for over 10 years to get full time.

I love the people that I work with. I think that we are all more like a family. Of course there are a few people who dont get along but for the most part everyone is friendly with one another. I have many good friends whom Ive met at Kmart. I also met my boyfriend working at Kmart and we have been together for 3 years now. He doesnt work there anymore but people always ask me how he is doing. Even the managers are very friendly and nice. The only exception is the store managers. Ive had 2 since Ive been there and they are both jerks that make people cry.

They pay isnt all that great. I think they make sure you get low numbers in your yearly review so they dont have to give you too much of a raise. Ive gotten more of a raise from minimum wage going up than I ever have in company raises. The health benefits aren't that great but right now I get 2 paid vacations a year which is really really nice. This is the most secure job I will EVER have. As long as you dont steal anything or call in too much, it is VERY rare that you will get fired. The hours are really random. Especially since we now have a computer that makes the schedule so you never know how many hours you are going to get. They are really good about giving time off. As long as you put in for it 3 weeks in advance they will give it to you off.

LOVE MY JOB.

From Canton OH — 08/11/2010

Overall my experience working with Kmart was a good one! Great co-workers, friendly in store managers, good flexibilty schedule wise. Promotion is easily attainable with good work ethics. I myself got promoted after only a few months, over people who had been there a lot longer. Show up, do your job, and they will treat you like a civilized human being. In 4 years, i got raises totalling $2ph, which isnt the greatest, but isn't awful. Being in customer service, you would expect a lot of hostile customers, but by being friendly towards them, you earned that same respect back.

My biggest issue is the new DM that they hired. He has came in, and completely demoralised morale. If its not done his way, its not the right way. This type of attitude is whats hurting the company, and eventually, sadly imo, will sink it underground.

From Easley, South Carolina — 04/23/2010

I had a good experience at Kmart because I worked the overnight stocking shift. I didn't really have to deal with customers or the managers. I just went in and did what needed to be done, then left as the store opened. The pay was decent (over $8 an hour) but no health insurance was a minus. I worked from 20-40 hours per week, 8 hours a day. Job security was kind of iffy, because if you screwed up you got canned. Lots of people came and went. The zeros mean that it didn't apply to my particular position.

From Denver, CO — 04/05/2010

I love working for Kmart. I have worked for CVS (worst experience of my life), SavOn, and Albertsons. By far KMart is the best. If you are expecting top pay or a glamorous job, then yeah, it may not be the place for you. I tell people I work for KMart and they look at me as if I work for Walmart. However, I will take that any day to have a company that respects you as a person. I have the district manager's email address, and when I send an email, it is returned in 1-2 days on average with an answer. I fixed a register myself, and was acknowledged both by the store manager and the district manager. My coworkers (even the lower level ones) are competent and friendly. The best part is that I feel safe. The security is AWESOME, especially compared to the CVS I worked at where the cameras didn't even work and the Albertsons where when a thief was asked why he traveled 30 minutes to our store to steal, he said he had heard they had the lowest securty around. So I guess if you are planning on making a few bucks from stealing from the company you work for KMart may not be the best either. It is also scary that the company doesn't seem to be doing so well during the recession...

From Smyrna, TN — 02/20/2010

Pay- 2.Minimum wage, im in high school so its cool
Respect- 3. I love almost everyone that works there, not 5 becuase there is one or two people who are just ridiculous. and Kmart has the WORST customers, ALL insane
Benefits- 0. again 16, i dont really care
Job Security- -3. im always paranoid ill lose my job, we are always hiring new people and im just a cashier.
Work/Life- 2. part time so im good
Potential Growth- -2. theres not much chance for a raise here.
Location- 4. theres quite a few of them in my area
Co-Worker competence- 4. again love most people there
Work Enviornement- 3. pretty dusty and slightly ghetto but i never feel threatened or unsafe and i feel comftorble working there.

From Warren, PA — 08/22/2009

Pay: As far as this goes, I'm severely disappointed. To begin with, no one seems to know what kind of raises are to be implemented and when, and even if they do know, it doesn't happen. When I started I was told I would have a yearly raise, and I'm still making minimum wage (at least that went up, so I am making more...).

Respect: I, personally, have had few problems with this in our store, and the only reason I say that is because of one of our managers. Otherwise, everyone's very respectful, although sometimes when we're busy (which isn't often), I've been pretty upset at the management for getting upset at us cashiers for not getting certain things done, when there's nothing we can do because there are only two or three of us at any given time.

Benefits: I don't know much about this, because I'm only part time, but I've heard some good and some bad...

Job Security: It's pretty easy to keep this job. Basically, show up on time and do what you need to do. Over the course of my employment, I've seen a couple of people fired for actually making too much money, which I thought was ridiculous, and I know many others also thought so. Because it's easier to keep the employees they have than hire new ones, though, firings are few and far between, and quitting isn't very common either. Summer sees new hirings usually, but only because college students move away (however, even they are allowed to keep their jobs, all they have to do is come back once a month and usually holidays).

Work/Life Balance: Great! Right off the bat they were willing to work around my schedule. When I started I had band camp and school coming up, as well as band practices after school on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and they had no problems working around that. Even when things have come up with little warning, I've had little trouble either finding someone to cover for me or having them find someone. Requesting days off is always easy as well (you rock, Ginny!). And, as I mentioned earlier, college students are allowed to keep their jobs while they're at school, as long as they come back for a weekend a month and usually work holidays (as a college student myself, I know first-hand how nice this is).

Career Potential/Growth: In no way do I consider this becoming my career. It's not a bad job, but I mean, it's Kmart. A career wouldn't be ideal, at all. The pay just isn't very good, even for management. The possibilities for growth aren't that bad, though. I've seen several people who started as cashier either at the same time I did or even months afterwards move on to specific departments and service desk (of course, others haven't, and I can only imagine that those who did weren't offered to do so, but in fact requested it, which isn't a huge deal as I don't mind my job).

Location: It's pretty close to me, approximately fifteen to twenty minutes, depending on traffic and whatnot. On the other hand, it's in the town's dying mall complex, which is one of the reasons the mall has customers at all.

Co-worker Competence: Almost the only reason I still work there. Everyone with whom I work is so nice and supportive, we're all friends and help each other out whenever we can. There have only really been a couple of people that I didn't like, and one left, and the other I rarely see, so I'm really happy most of the time. Everyone knows what they're doing when it counts, too (except for the newer employees, but we all start somewhere), and usually the customers are pretty happy with our help.

Work Environment: Despite the fact that our store looks like it's been around since 1910, it's not bad. The registers are old and often freeze, necessitating a reboot which takes at least ten minutes. It's usually pretty clean, however, and things are usually kept neat and tidy. One of the bigger qualms I have is the customers. Of course it's all just the luck of the draw, and sometimes I have nothing but pleasant customers the entire shift, but sometimes there are those who are rude, bitchy, expecting the world of us, and who just can't be pleased. A lot of the customers, though, are very polite. Some of them are regulars and friends of mine, even (as scary as that may sound).

From Indiana — 08/20/2009

I have worked for Kmart for 2 years. As soon as I am able to get out, I'm gone. It's not a bad place if you have no job at all, but if you can get better, definitely go for it.

Pay: Like I have said, I have been here for two years, guess what! I am at minimum wage ($7.25)

Respect: At our store, respect is pretty good. We have an amazing store manager, and I have never heard anyone complain about her. However, our Soft lines manager can be hard to get along with at times, I mean our hard lines manager doesn't even like talking to her. Occasionally, she will surprise us and have a good day, but no one really counts on it.

Benefits: Pretty much stinks. I am currently just a floor worker. Yeah, I'm offered benefits, but I don't have any because I don't feel like paying through the roof prices to get them.

Job Security: Ha! For the most part, if you show up to work, your job is guaranteed. But occasionally there are people who get fired just because, "their services were no longer needed." That, or for those who actually have gotten raises in the past, their hours went way down because Kmart couldn't pay them.

Work/Life Balance: I can't complain, usually I leave work at work and have fun on my days off. One good thing about our Kmart is that there has never been any problem getting days off. Pretty much if you put in your request for a day off, you can have it off, unless it's during inventory or something major like that.

Career Potential/Growth: If your looking for KMart to be your life's career, well I hope you have a rich spouse, because although you can get lead positions, it is going to take you a long time to get there, and honestly, leads don't get paid any more than cashiers do right now since Kmart is on a pay freeze. Better hope a manager dies and your the next in line.

Location: Close to home, we are a small town with no Wal-mart, so location is good, not much competition.

Co-worker Competence: I enjoy the people I work with. There is maybe one person there that I do not like, and even then, I manage to get along with them at work. It's nice to talk to them out on the floor. Our store loves to talk; I think we talk more than work sometimes, but everything gets done somehow. Even though there are employees there that won't do anything, and still get to come to work. You just have to deal with it.

Work Environment: As long as you keep the managers happy, the store is a great/safe environment to work in. When they get stressed, the stress rolls downhill. The customers can be hard to get along with too, but you will have that at any retail store.

To sum it up: Don't work for Kmart if you don't have to, but if you must, you can make the best out of it if you try.

From Green Bay, WI — 06/12/2009

I worked at Kamrt for 3 years and liked it. My manager was pleasant, fair, and easy to get along with and co-workers were friendly and helpful for the most part.

From PA — 06/02/2009

We have a good store manager so I guess that makes all the difference...she works really hard, tries to keep the peace, and does whatever she askes other people to do, so it makes everyone else work harder. i like everyone I work with, yeah some people are jerks and start problems and drama (including some managers) but I just do my thing, I'm there to work and not be everyone's best pal, and feel like I get respect for that at least. The people that are good workers and nice make it worth going to work everyday. If it wasn't for the people I really liked there, I would go work somewhere else. I'll probably stick around as long as things work out there for me.

From Ft Worth, TX — 05/07/2009

I worked for KMart during the era of Antonini as CEO. Granted, that was long ago but it wasn't a bad job then. Pay stunk, started at minimum wage ($4.25hr) and was making $6.35 when I left 2 1/2 years later which is the most I have ever been raised in such a short time. Benefits were good, they even gave X-mas bonuses then plus you were paid cash all your unused sick pay days at the end of the year. The store manager could be a pain but, on the whole, he was a decent guy ans the floor supervisors were for the most part OK. The worst part was training...you didn't get any...and for a person who had only had jobs as a bagger in a grocery store, it took time to figure out what was wanted of me...especially when I became the entire night stocking crew 3 weeks into my emplyment!

On the whole, I enjoyed my time there...I had to leave it to realize that, though.