Working at kindercare learning centers — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about kindercare learning centers pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at kindercare learning centers

From Michigan — 10/09/2010

I absolutely love my job. While pay everywhere has declined, I am paid well compared to other education businesses. The benefits are great. The people I work with are awesome. I promoted within the company and they offer great professional development and career paths. I feel very respected by my supervisor and know i will work here for years to come. Anyone that is passionate and wants to work with children as a career would love it here!

From Illinois — 09/28/2010

I used to work at a KinderCare in the late 90s and will be returning to work at one in the next 3 weeks, after my one month resignation is up at the center I currently work at. Honestly, if you think working at KinderCare is bad then perhaps you should have my job at Celebration! Childcare (a Lutheran-run center).

In the short time I've been with Celebration!, the administration has made ZERO effort to speak nicely to me. They've expected me to be a mind-reader and have even written me up for something I totally disagree with. Not to mention, they didn't even give me a chance to correct what they felt was initially wrong or inappropriate to be begin with. (Normally, places give you a chance BEFORE writing you up.) Oh, and let's not forget about the teacher who FAILED to really address me about certain things to begin with. She never once told me not to say certain things to the kids even after she heard me say them for the first time. She never once told me not to do what I was doing just before I was written up for it by the AD.

So what's my point? My point is this: There's other daycare, childacre, preschool, early education/learning centers out there you really don't want to be working at and some are even worse than the KinderCare you're working at or have worked at.

And for those of you who complain about bethe pay, this is EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION (ECE). Of course pay will be rather low. Not to mention, KinderCares aren't the only ones not dolling out raises right now due to a poor economy and low enrollment.Celebration! has stopped doing it as well. Until further notice, raises with them are suspended.

Someone here already said that each KinderCare is different so undoubtedly there will be some with problems. And the same can be said of La Petites, Primroses, and Goddards as well. There'll also be differences in ever religious run, privately run, and home based center as well. Some will have outstanding directors and assistant directors and be run quite well and others will have terrible directors and assistant directors and be run poorly. Each center is like it's own little microcosm. You'll fit in and really like it there or you won't.

Honestly, I'd rather work at a KinderCrae right now than continue to stay where I am and be treated as rudely as they seem to be treating me.

From West Des Moines, Iowa — 09/14/2010

I am still employed at Kindercare though actively searching for a job elsewhere simply because I want to work for an Organization that cares about it's employees and doesn't keep looking for ever excuse to not increase our pay. I love my center and our center is doing great. The teachers are simply wonderful and are very good in their job but, what upsets me is that so much is expected out of us and we are paid peanuts. We haven't had a raise in two years now and every time they dangle a carrot in fron of us that we will get it but, when the time comes they come up with a foolproof plan of not paying us. Ridiculous things they come up with in order for us to get paid (any person with half a working brain can make out that they just don't want to pay us. They keep increasing the fees for the parents by 1 or 2 % but, teachers don't get anything. I feel really bad for all the teachers out there who are working so hard and really don't get appreciated financially .

From New Jersey — 07/29/2010

As a Director in one of NJ's more successful centers, I would like to say that it ALL (like anything in life) depends on which center you're at. You can have a crappy center or a stellar one. My team and I- including everyone from the cook to the district and REGIONAL directors/vice presidents- have huge hearts and take care of their people. Yes, there's pressure- but which job doesn't? Yes, there's b.s- but which job doesnt'? Yes, there are days where you HATE your job- but again, where is there 100% happy days all the time. I lead a fantastic team of dedicated ladies and couldn't ask for a better group of girls. I urge anyone who's reading this- especially if you're reading up on Kindercare as a potential employee- to research and experience the center on your own. Judge for yourself and please understand and believe me- not all the centers are the same. I'm saddened when I read these horrible reviews, and truthfully, coming on here to complain and degrade your workplace is shameful. Nothing will ever improve this way. I hope you can have the relationship I have with my district manager- a pleasant, honest, and open one- where you can share and voice your concerns in hopes of positive changes.

Yes, it's a business, Kindercare NEVER tries to deny the fact that it's a corporate-run organization. But I can tell you this much, the day-to-day interactions are on a "local" and personal level. I treat my families with utmost respect and those kids....you love them like your own.

I'm not doubting there are areas to improve on, I'm not saying it's all wonderful all the time, BUT I am saying that any judgement on a global scale is ridiculous, as there are some wonderful Kindercare's out there.

Just think about it....

From Indianapolis — 07/09/2010

I have worked for KinderCare for years and it really saddens me that these people feel the way that they do. Obviously we are a major corporation so at times a lack of communication which when you get down to it typically goes both ways. The State of Indiana has 35+ centers and we are a strong team that tries to help each other in any way we can. The quality of care and the quality of Early Childhood Education is all of our highest priority. We as a company close down two days a year to provide some phenomenal training to the teachers. Again you get out of life what you put into it. Happiness is an inside job.