Work at Kindercare — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Kindercare pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Kindercare

From Colorado — 11/18/2009

I'm told that the KinderCare I currently work at had some problems before I started several months ago. It seemed many of the employees were there more for the paycheck than for the children. Those individuals are no longer there, and I know that the teachers, director, and assistant director that remain are all extremely dedicated and love what they do. It's been helpful for me as both a part-time cook and part-time teacher to have so many people helping me learn what's best.

Each Kinder Care is different, so undoubtedly there will be some with problems. The one I currently work for is small, we're a family, and every teacher knows every student.

Something to look for when looking into a childcare position isn't about pay, it's about the rewards you reap outside of it. I get hugs from every child, and my co-workers and bosses genuinely care for me. If the KinderCare you work at is not this sort of community, I would suggest you ask for a transfer. It's definitely the individual centers and not the entire corporation that has problems.

From Harrisburg, Pa — 10/02/2009

KinderCare, is a wonderful place to learn how to work with children. It's level of structure creates an atmosphere of accessibility and possibility. The coorporation has absurd policies and put more emphasis on the dollar than the child, but as a teacher, you learn to work with what is available.

From Ohio — 09/04/2009

I've been reading such negative reviews for Kindercare and I just wanted to say that I have had a great experience with Kindercare. I don't know if it is just the center I am at but everyone is so great. They encourage professional development and are always so upbeat about anything we need.

From Indianapolis, IN — 08/09/2009

I've been working at a Kindercare in Indianapolis for a year now. I feel like I have worked very hard to still be keeping my head above water somedays. I feel like I've trained more employees than my actual directors. I work with toddlers, so my age group brings a lot of physical challenges during my day. My co-teacher and I have grown very close and without her humor it would be even more tough, we are very lucky we work so well together. What I love most is just being with my kids and talking to the parents. Our directors are very fake on a daily basis and everyone talks about each other behind their backs. I already have a 4 year degree (Ball State 2008 grad) and they are making me do the CDA online, totally not fair. It is nice I won't have to pay for it, and I basically already know all the classwork material. If my car wasn't already payed off and I had college loans there is no way I could afford to live on my pay of $11.00 an hour. I plan on getting the CDA and then possibly looking elsewhere in the early childhood field at other competitor centers like Primrose or Goddard. For my career growth, this experience does look great on my resume if I decide to pursue teaching in elementary schools. Overall I agree with others that the corporate is corrupt and money hungry. There is no way that everyday I have time to accomplish everything for the cirriculm and I get very little respect and appreciation for my hard work. My co-teacher and I shocked everyone when the directors who came for the Companies Coming Tour awarded us that Best Room Award, and I wanted to cry because I actually felt appreciated for the whole year I've been working there. I am afraid of becoming close friends with new employees because no one knows how long they will last which is very sad. I just take every day as it comes with a grain of salt and remember I won't be there forever, and once I do leave I won't get to see the kids that I love so much either.

From Ohio — 08/09/2009

I think that each KinderCare is different...before going to work as an Assistant Director for the company, I definitely had my doubts. But in my general area of residence alone, there are about 14 centers within an hour range of each other. CENTERS ARE ALL GOING TO VARY. I can completely believe people had bad experiences working there if they had the wrong management team at their center, were not given a good starting rate of pay, or were working with incompetent staff members. At my center, I have a pretty good team of staff members and an amazing director to lead with. I was initially offered a slighter lower rate of pay than I wanted, but I negotiated higher and actually ended up getting more than I originally asked for.

From Ohio — 06/09/2009

Each KinderCare is different. Some yes are better than others and luckily I work at one that I consider one of the best. We are NAEYC accredited and have an amazing staff. I am a full time teacher making $12 an hour starting out (have been with the company 6 months). I am in charge of my classroom and have a lot of range to work in. They are very fair and you get the hours you need each week. Sure you can be sent home 10-15 minutes early but that is fine with me. My child also attends the center and I love her classroom and the teachers she has. The curriculum is great and anyone who says there is no curriculum has not been doing their job well or their center has not. As both a parent and an employee I would highly recommend KinderCare!

From Huntington Beach, CA — 06/08/2009

I am so lucky to be working at this Kindercare! From reading the other posts this company sounds like a nightmare! But my center must be the exception to the rule. Believe me, my center has for years struggled and survived the worst director you could ever imagine, three different CDs/ADs in a year, and plenty of dumb bell teachers, but the Center Director, AD, and teachers we now have are fantastic.
Pay: A little above minimum wage. Count on the yearly pay raise to help get by, but didn't happen this year "because of the state of the economy" or so we were told. But most child care centers are notorious for their low pay. If you are in this job field for the money, you are in the wrong field.
Respect: CD and AD are amazing and willing to back staff up when it comes to dealing with difficult children or parents, sticking to the sick policy, and addressing problems/issues with coworkers, parents, etc.
Benefits: Don't participate in the benefits the company offers
Job security: Depends on enrollment. My center is mostly 8 hours a day, sometimes getting off 15-30 minutes early if lots of kids get picked up. If your CD/AD knows how to schedule according to the needs of the center and doesn't overstaff, you should get a decent # of hours each week.
Work/Life balance: Not difficult as a teacher. You have at least an hour a day during nap to get curriculum prepared. The company is supposed to pay for all the supplies you need. (The catch is you need to ask for them well in advance of when you need them, or you have the choice to pay out of pocket or make do without. The budget stretched out between all the classrooms is tiny.) You are supposed to bring in your own ideas to the classroom, in addition to the provided curriculum, but they don't need to cost you anything.
Career growth: Depends on you. Becoming a CD, AD or DM obviously takes more education but Kindercare does offer to contribute to further education.
Location: On a major street, not too near freeway. Lots of separated play space and huge grassy field in the back with play structures.
Co-worker Competence: The CD/AD are always willing to step into a classroom for any need I may have, even including plumbing issues and letting teachers off on time (Kindercare doesn't like to pay overtime if they don't need to). Easy to approach and discuss things. The lazy and/or moronic floaters/teachers have been weeded out. Teachers are for the most part reliable, friendly, flexible and willing to pull their weight. We care about kids and we act like it.
Work Environment: Ive never had a problem getting my lunch, morning or afternoon breaks. We don't let our classes get out of ratio because the teachers and CD/AD are paying attention and fix it. Yes, you may have to take a trash bag out to the dumpster if your trash can is full, and need to sweep, dust, and clean as needed. But there is a cook that does all the cooking and cleaning of the kitchen, and a janitorial service that does the majority of cleaning.
The bottom line is: It all depends on the staff. We all know corporate is never going to change, that their main interest is in the amount of money coming in, but as long as the teaching staff is doing what they are supposed to be doing and care for the kids, things run smoothly.

From Gulfport, MS — 06/02/2009

Pay: I worked at the Kindercare on Dedeaux Rd for over a year. The pay is horrible, but it matches the other child care centers in the area, so you're going to get the same in any center. I think the entire company should be praising the hard-working, devoted teachers and giving them more pay, because without us you have NO CENTER. It's not the director's fault - it's all run by corporate, they make the decisions.

Respect: I found both my director and my asst. director to be VERY respectful to employees, parents, children, and each other. I actually learned a thing or two about how to deal with customers and other workers while there.

Benefits: I did not look into the benefits, but I'm sure I wouldn't be able to afford anything with the salary they pay. I worked very, very hard and at the end of the week I had about $20 left to buy groceries after I paid all my bills. I wish my salary could match my quality of work put into that center.

Job Security: I felt like my job was pretty secure. Sure it's "at will", but I didn't feel threatened that I'd be let go out of the blue at any time. I also got more hours than I wanted! We often worked 10-12 hour days. That's just part of the job, I came to realize. We are there as a team to insure each child is cared for. When we can't get off at our scheduled time it's because there are children there that need us. It's hard, b/c you think the boss is just sitting in her office while we're busting our butts, but you have to understand that she has job duties as well - her's is to run the center and ours is to care for the kids. We can't expect her to stop her duties to relieve us. Although it would be ideal for them to hire other assistants, the reality is that KinderCare is focused on the money and they don't want to pay extra for another worker. However, I don't feel like them being focused on the money effects the children at all.

Career Growth: I feel like those that are serious and have the education can very well become assistant directors and directors themselves. Sure, there's not much room for growth in the teaching area, but there are extra things you can do such as Program Specialist and extracurricular teaching such as Music and Phonics.

Location: is perfect. It's in an up and coming area of the city with lots of new residential areas and new businesses sprouting each month.

Co-workers: Basically, if you can't cope with the high stress level then you won't stay with the job. The co-workers that could cope were wonderful and knew how much energy and effort this teaching job required. The ones that were looking for an easy job did not stand up to the requirements and were therefore incompetent, but they also didn't stay long.

Work Environment: First off, the center is CLEAN. The kitchen is CLEAN and the bathrooms are CLEAN! We took great pride in the appearance of our classrooms and center! Each classroom's orginization and cleanliness was dependant on that individual teacher. We were the teachers and janitorial staff. But if you balance your day correctly you can find time to sanitize and clean the classroom. I enjoyed working with the other teachers. The "classroom shuffle" was hard and irritating to all of us teachers. We would not have enough teachers and too many kids...and we took our ratio's SERIOUSLY...so therefore we had to move kids around so that we were not over ratio in any class. It did frazzle us. It was probably the worst part of the job. We would plan something for our class, but suddenly 1/2 of the two's were in the three's and 1/2 of the three's were moved to the fours...and then the fours were crammed in with the afterschoolers - which worries me because I do not think they were doing any curriculum to teach those 4's and 5's that had to be bumped up. Basically, you need to be very FLEXIBLE and someone that can adapt to sudden changes.

OVERALL: This center is the best one you'll find in this area. I've worked at many - and this is the only one with curriculum that is WORTH the money. The teachers are provided with a curriculum and EVERYTHING they need to do the lessons and activities. You won't find that anywhere else around here. The playgrounds are nice and divided by age. The classrooms are fun and have great toys and learning centers. This is the only center I'd be willing to bust my butt working for b/c I believe in them.

From westchester — 05/13/2009

I wanted to response to the May 5th comment. I'm a parent of a child at this location. In April, I wrote to the corporate office to complain about the director at this location. She was not a very stable person. I caught her yelling at one of her employees. Within one day a receive an answer that they would investigate my concerns. After, a week or so, the parents got a notice that the director was let go, and the assistant would be in charge until a new director was assigned. On May 5th, we received a letter stating that the Assistant director was now the director. I couldn't be happier. She and some of the employees re-decorated the entrance hall and bulletin board. The moral between the employees seem better. (My guess would be, they like the new director) Things are much more organize and less stressful.

The new employees that were hired since the beginning of the year are GREAT ASSET! They have redecorated their rooms and always have a smile on their faces.

The teacher that does all the special classes, is wonderful. Every time my child has a class with this teacher, he can't stop talking about how much fun he had. (Extra classes, cooking, math, phonics and a gym class) I have to pay extra for these, but if you have someone that cares for the children like she does, it is worth it.

I'm very pleased with this location and with all the employees at this facility.
The problems were with the OLD director not the new one!

I'm also happy with the way the corporate office handled this matter. I'm in charge of 53 employees. I always investigate, then take action. Keep up the good work!

I will recommend this location to anyone.

From Seattle, WA — 01/23/2009

I have been working for KinderCare for over 8 years now. I started from the bottom as a floater and have been a co-teacher, lead teacher, Health and Safety Coordinator, and now am Assistant Director. Obviously, there is room for growth...it's just a slow going process that requires patience and the ability to learn and grow. I have always felt respected by my company which is evident by the ethics hotline where I can anonymously report any grievances, the inclusion of Domestic Partnership benefits which I personally appreciate greatly, and the support of a District Manager who I can literally reach ANY time for ANY reason. The work environment varies. This industry definently involves working with a wide variety of people. Having said that, if you are a positive person who knows how to interact properly with other humans...this is a good place. The pay is not the highest in the industry. Generally, privately owned and operated centers have higher hourly wages but, they also don't generally offer the benefit package available from a corporate company. In terms of job security, that's entirely up to you! We have to meet stringent licensing and corporate standards. Not meeting or violating these standards could put you at risk of losing your job. It's as simple as that. Do your job, do it well, and you will succeed.