Working at Kindercare — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Kindercare pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Kindercare

From Illinois — 09/28/2010

I used to work at a KinderCare in the late 90s and will be returning to work at one in the next 3 weeks, after my one month resignation is up at the center I currently work at. Honestly, if you think working at KinderCare is bad then perhaps you should have my job at Celebration! Childcare (a Lutheran-run center).

In the short time I've been with Celebration!, the administration has made ZERO effort to speak nicely to me. They've expected me to be a mind-reader and have even written me up for something I totally disagree with. Not to mention, they didn't even give me a chance to correct what they felt was initially wrong or inappropriate to be begin with. (Normally, places give you a chance BEFORE writing you up.) Oh, and let's not forget about the teacher who FAILED to really address me about certain things to begin with. She never once told me not to say certain things to the kids even after she heard me say them for the first time. She never once told me not to do what I was doing just before I was written up for it by the AD.

So what's my point? My point is this: There's other daycare, childacre, preschool, early education/learning centers out there you really don't want to be working at and some are even worse than the KinderCare you're working at or have worked at.

And for those of you who complain about bethe pay, this is EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION (ECE). Of course pay will be rather low. Not to mention, KinderCares aren't the only ones not dolling out raises right now due to a poor economy and low enrollment.Celebration! has stopped doing it as well. Until further notice, raises with them are suspended.

Someone here already said that each KinderCare is different so undoubtedly there will be some with problems. And the same can be said of La Petites, Primroses, and Goddards as well. There'll also be differences in ever religious run, privately run, and home based center as well. Some will have outstanding directors and assistant directors and be run quite well and others will have terrible directors and assistant directors and be run poorly. Each center is like it's own little microcosm. You'll fit in and really like it there or you won't.

Honestly, I'd rather work at a KinderCrae right now than continue to stay where I am and be treated as rudely as they seem to be treating me.

From NJ — 07/29/2010

As a Director in one of NJ's more successful centers, I would like to say that it ALL (like anything in life) depends on which center you're at. You can have a crappy center or a stellar one. My team and I- including everyone from the cook to the district and REGIONAL directors/vice presidents- have huge hearts and take care of their people. Yes, there's pressure- but which job doesn't? Yes, there's b.s- but which job doesnt'? Yes, there are days where you HATE your job- but again, where is there 100% happy days all the time. I lead a fantastic team of dedicated ladies and couldn't ask for a better group of girls. I urge anyone who's reading this- especially if you're reading up on Kindercare as a potential employee- to research and experience the center on your own. Judge for yourself and please understand and believe me- not all the centers are the same. I'm saddened when I read these horrible reviews, and truthfully, coming on here to complain and degrade your workplace is shameful. Nothing will ever improve this way. I hope you can have the relationship I have with my district manager- a pleasant, honest, and open one- where you can share and voice your concerns in hopes of positive changes.

Yes, it's a business, Kindercare NEVER tries to deny the fact that it's a corporate-run organization. But I can tell you this much, the day-to-day interactions are on a "local" and personal level. I treat my families with utmost respect and those kids....you love them like your own.

I'm not doubting there are areas to improve on, I'm not saying it's all wonderful all the time, BUT I am saying that any judgement on a global scale is ridiculous, as there are some wonderful Kindercare's out there.

Just think about it....

From Livingston, nj — 02/17/2010

love it !!!

From CANTON MICHIGAN — 02/06/2010

I do not think all Kindercares are the same I work at the Plymouth Canton Kindercare and I love my job. Of course there are changes that always scare people but my Director cares about the children and the staff. You can go to her with problems and she is always there for you. Supplies are never an issue and her and Andrea both will help out whereever is needed. It is sad to hear all the bad things that are happening. Yes I could use more money and yes I would like cheaper health insurance but I have insurance and I have a paycheck and I am lucky I do not work for some of the other KIndercares that I have read about. Sorry guys I will keep Jennifer she cares about the children and the Families.

From Herndon, VA — 02/04/2010

Well, i have been working for this company for four years. My experience working for this company has been great! We recently got a new director and so far we have made many changes to the center. a lot of our families are very happy about the changes and of course there are a few families that are not happy about it. I recently got promoted to be the program specialist and will be teaching three enrichment programs Spanish Adventures, Phonics Adventures and Music Adventures. There is growth in this company, you just have show them what you can do and they will make sure that you growth. if you decide to get you CDA, they are willing to pay for your classes and you cant get your books reimbursed.

From canton, mi — 01/27/2010

The director is a fantastic resource and wonderful mentor. The long term staff who have been at this particular center under the leadership of this director are qualified, educated, caring, and incredibly competent. The long term staff, as well as the director, are incredibly professional, and strive to do their best without any pettiness or gossip. It is obvious that they know how to manage their time so as to incorporate large group, small group, one-on-one, and teacher planning/ classroom cleaning time. This is not only achieved through thoughtful planning of the day, but also with the support of the center management. It is amazing what people can accomplish when working toward a common goal! The Center Director is a strong, intelligent, and caring woman who is dedicated to providing a well-rounded learning environment where developmental milestones are achieved and celebrated. My daughter attended the Cherry Hill center and started when she was just 5 months. She would receive daily notes and certificates celebrating developmental milestones that are in her scrapbook to this day! The staff (at least the long term staff) really do care about the children. And it is obvious the director interacts with all the children during the day and makes it a point to speak with as many parents as possible during pick up time. I have also had the opportunity to meet with the district manager on a few occassions. She is a reasonable and approachable woman. She obviously knows her business and I appreciate that. After speaking with her a few times, I know that her main concern is to offer the best care and service possible to children and parents.
I have worked at a number of KinderCares in many different states. I have worked with some of the best and some I hope to forget... but one of the two best centers in Michigan where I have had the pleasure of enrolling my daughter is the KinderCare on Cherry Hill.

From st.louis, mo — 12/19/2009

this company truly cares about people- I love the people I work with and we have a great team- we help each other through anything- the pay is better than any other preschool program around!!!!! They support and push teachers to be better!!!!

From Massachusetts — 12/08/2009

I have been fortunate to be with KinderCare for many years, and have had an amazing experience. I have had the great fortune of working with some fantastic people, some intelligent and savvy business people and certainly some I call my friends. This site disappoints me, for the sole purpose that you are just making yourselves look worse, we are educators! You are out there for all to see, name-calling, berating and belittling people. Shame on you!
Did you go into education to make money? Newsflash- you won't! KinderCare is a comparable wage (high in some areas) for salary- they don't set that range it is the industry. Buyers beware those offering extremely high salary ranges are trouble (you think KinderCare has turn over, ha!) Cutting hours sure- right now kids are low and families are taking lay offs (those of which you manager was desperately trying to avoid by cutting hours) and here you are complaining about having a job- go figure! The experiences you take from life are certainly what you give to them, if in fact you were miserable, I am pretty certain those around you were as well, question is; was it the company or being exposed to you? And furthermore, post after post of "years" of being miserable, claims to being there for the children- it's like parents that screamed and fought for years but stayed in it for the kids- PLEASE! You are there because it's the best- the best programs, mission and values, it's the best tuition package for school, child care discounts for your kids and the least amount of work since the corporate office does all the thinking and planning for you so that you can spend time teaching, but you have opted for complaining.
Do I think it has some bad apples, probably- but no more than you griping about it online! It isn't the company that stinks guys it's the public perception, when we are regarded as educators (better yet when you start acting like one) then you may gain the respect you think you have earned. This site is one of the many reasons we are regarded as underachievers, undereducated and below standards. I don't see any postings on this site that don't inadvertently explain why your hours were cut, you weren't liked by management and staff and why you were so miserable. You spell it out very plainly with each swear and degrading remark you make about those of us in the industry.
What an unfortunate display of humanity that your idea of revenge is this nasty site and those unwarranted comments- If thatís truly how you felt then we as coworker, manager, families and children, are glad you are gone as well!!! Best of Luck in your next venture, may you find a place more willing to tolerate your nonsense and poison!

From Pennsylvania — 12/02/2009

I've worked for the company for years now and as i read through all of the negative comments i can't help but feel sorry for those who have been "mistreated". I love my job. Instead of making complaints on a website have any of you tried contacting your center director or district manager directly? People can't fix things if they don't know it's broken.

From virginia beach, VA — 11/27/2009

I have been with the company for 5 years and began as a teacher and now I am AD. I did not see any comments for 2009. I think there are many area that could be improved at many centers. The problem is that as a company becomes so large, and the chain of management is even larger. Well then a lot slips through the cracks. I could tell my story but in the end what difference would it make. I am at the crossroads and must decide if I can continue to work for Kindercare. I have always shown respect toward teachers, parents and children. As a teacher I took pride in my work, I had a wonderful class. As a program Specialist I worked with teachers. I taught Phonics and Music. All in all I felt I was making a difference. I took pride in my work and always felt dedication. As an Assistant Director I have tried to balance helping the teachers, parents and children. But as I try to do this I see that I am judged by a different set of rules. Enrollment and Financial gain, paper work and Licencing from the state and the politics of those in a position above me. Now I have reached the point...do I continue in a job that I can't feel good about? There should be joy in any job that is related to education. Well I know who I am and the answer is no, Many at my center have made plans to leave Kindercare. These teachers love the children and are sick at heart that they are thinking about leaving. What could fix the problem? No easy answer! The good teachers are suffering under to many mandates. It seems that it is not about the children any more. I am sad but I hope that all will work out for everyone working for the good of the children.