Working at Kent Building Supplies — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Kent Building Supplies pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Kent Building Supplies

From Atlantic Canada — 10/01/2007

Pay - rate of pay sucks. Experience here means nothing at all.

Respect - some of the management respects the staff some don't. It seems the higher up the management gets (at the store level) the less respect they have for the staff. I have personally met Mr Irving and Mr Valcourt and they are both amazing people with nothing but respect for their employees. We need this level of respect at the store level also.

Benefits - the benefits are great - once you've been with the company for a full year. This is too long to wait for benefits for any company. Once the probationary period is over benefits should kick in.

Career potential - the growth possibility is there - BUT only if you are willing to kiss ass. I have never seen anyone move up to a management positions without a LOT of ass kissing.

Work environment - overall not bad. Safety is VERY important to this company. The death of a young worker a few years ago insured that. Now things are very strictly run when it comes to safety.

Co-worker competence - what is that? lol. Overall not bad. It is very hard to have competent staff though when you don't want to hire staff. That leaves the remaining staff there to make up for others which is not fair to anyone.

Overall not a bad place to work. A lot of people go back again after leaving. If they had better management they may not leave in the first place.

From Halifax, NS — 10/14/2006

Ok here it goes... If you have responsibility you get paid ok.. If you do anything else you get paid minimum wage. BIG DOUBLE STANDARDS!!! They tell you to do one thing, one day. Then the next how what you were told yesterday was wrong. Compared to many other building supply companies in metro we are expected to know EVERYTHING and do everyones position in the company. All because there is such a high turn over rate and everyday half the store calls in sick. The hours are pretty stupid the way they run it. 7 - 9 everyday except Sunday... SUNDAY 9-5... Other then the laziness of the managers, the terrible state of our sales. EVERYTHING ELSE IS GREAT?!? OK the benefits are good and the only way to get fired is to steal stuff... And not just petty stealing only large amounts of it! And when i say that managers suck it also depends on which managers are above you some at the Halifax store arent too bad.

From Atlantic Canada — 04/24/2006

Kent Building Supplies is the only company I've ever worked for. I've had a chance to work closely with senior management throughout my eight years, and they are demanding, have high standards, lofty goals, and an unflinching commitment to success. The Irvings are tough to work for, but I would rather work for someone who expects 110% and rewards me when I acheive it, than work for a company that let me 'get by'.