Working at Kellogg, Brown & Root — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Kellogg, Brown & Root pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Kellogg, Brown & Root

From Camp Buehring, Kuwai — 11/08/2008

I refueled helicopters at Camp Buehring, Kuwait, for one year from July 06 to August 07. All things considered, it was not a terrible job. Yes, there was some incompetence, and yes, there were lots of complaints about the supervisors. However, the job (usually) managed to get done, no one was injured, and I was paid the correct amount each month. Yes, you work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, but from what I've seen, you get PLENTY of downtime in most jobs so that you're not exhausted when you get off. I lived in a container (two 6x10 rooms, shared bathroom in the middle), which wasn't bad at all, especially considering that most Army personnel lived in tents. If you come into this job expecting to be pampered (or even to be treated well), you're going to be disappointed. The commenters who suggested the way to do this job was to "keep your head down and do your job and YOUR JOB ONLY" were offering good advice - unless, of course, you prefer to kiss ass and move up the ladder. Every situation is different, of course, and you just might end up with a highly competent chain of command - but it's not likely. Most of the people working for KBR are former military, and the majority of those who have moved up advanced from within because they knew someone else. There is A LOT of back scratching over there, and if you want to move up, you're going to have to do A LOT of scratching yourself. However, if you simply want to collect ~$7k in tax free money a month with no living expenses for a year, just do your job and don't give them a reason to fire you and you'll be fine. Oh, and if you have prior Army experience, you will know about what to expect. All in all, it's not a bad job, but you have to play the game. Actually, I'm leaving in 11 days for another round, and I'm hoping to find myself in a position where I can advance WITHOUT kissing (too much) ass.

From IRAQ — 03/10/2008

The pay is great and if you are a American, the tax break is really great.

The benefits, basically this is a project not a career so don't expect a US style benefits package.

You work 7 days a week, 12 hours a day and sometimes many more depending on your job. If you have low tolerance for long working hours stay in your retail job.

Respect is part of the project mantra, "dignity and respect". But this really is determined by the character of individuals and not the Corporation itself. Some people here are great. Some are not. The people who adapt best are ex Military guys. Hey we already knew what to expect. We have a lot of different cultures and Nationalities here. Generally everyone works well together. You don't have to be best friends. Sex, if you are very lucky. There are very few females here and most are partnered up soon after hitting base. If you have a SUV, phone, and a KBR computer you probably can get a female too. If not forget about it. I have worked with some great guys here, and a few I would rather have not met also.

Location/environment: Iraq. I like Iraq and as a driver since 2004 have seen most of Iraq and all the big bases. If you hire into a fob job (you will be know as a fobbit), you will stay on the fob and see nothing else. You may never meet a Iraqi. At KBR only the truck drivers travel outside the bases. It is the coolest part of being a driver. Hot in the summer, and yes cold in the winter. Dusty, dry desert environment. If you like the southwestern US, you will like Iraq. If you like a cool green environment stay somewhere else.

If you are thinking of joining KBR leave questions in the comments and someone will offer a opinion. Know that we are currently in logcap3 and logcap starts in Sept. KBR is losing most of the current contract. No one really knows what the project will look like after this summer. The work KBR does now will be split among 3 companies. But it has been fun and a adventure and I will miss it when I am back in Texas. There are several active websites and yahoo groups for ex-contractors on the web. I hope everyone who reads this finds them and we can keep a community network going long after the project. Many of us drivers are already planning reunions, sorta like HS or military units do.

From Balad, Iraq — 02/02/2007

I personally don't work for KBR but I have seen and currently in a deployed area with KBR employees. They are really hard chargers, they provide great support and employees seem to be happy thier pay and benefits from those I speak to.

From Bosnia and Herzegovi — 01/19/2007

The best company for Bosnian people.

From NYC, NY — 01/16/2007

i really like Kellogg, brown & Root. They gave me a chance right out of college. They promote from within, so there is huge upward potential. Meditech is a very successful, rapidly growing company. It's a really great place to work. The pay is fantastic

From LogCap III — 10/15/2006

You are treated like hired labor and not part of any organization. Constant threats to "demob" you if you have any complaints or concerns. Not a good outfit.

From Houston — 06/22/2006

Good place to work if you want career growth.