Working at Kaplan University — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Kaplan University pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Kaplan University

From Fort Lauderdale, FL — 01/13/2010

Kaplan University is growing and there are lots of opportunities for advancement if you are good. It can be stressful because top performance is expected ALL the time. We get a survey every year and things definitely improved after that started. Work life balance - what is that??? There are some really good people here - people are always ready to help new people or when stuff is going on that is stressful. KU doesn't do everything right but our employees really care about the student and student's success. That is why even with the stress, I continue working here.

From Ft Lauderdale FL — 01/11/2010

I was an employee with Kaplan University for almost 3 years. I have to admit that during the time I was there, they made many improovments to the quality of employment. They are a Washington Post company, so i recieved all of the Washington Post benefits. The new compensation plan includes student retention rates so even if you were the best sales person in the world, if you did not use integrety in order to assist a student into the school, them dropping out would hurt your salary potential. I managed to maintain a pay of 55k per year. Yes, this is based on a review that happens twice per year. Honestly though, anyone who was running a business will not want to pay an employee more than they deserve. If an employee worked overtime, they HAD to report it to payroll. Employees report thier own time, so there is no way for management to deny them overtime pay.
This job is not for everyone. I am the kind of person who deals well with deadlines and am efficient in how I work, so this position was perfect for me. If I encountered an issue one week, my ADOA woud sit down with me an coach me on things I could do to help things through. If anyone was caught using a cellphone to call a student, they were fired on the spot. Kaplan could loose thier accreditation or Title IV funding if they were to be audited and these things were found. They do not in any way condone any behaviour that could put the entire school at risk.
They do require a degree in order to move up into management and because of that they have begun to offer free tuition to all employees (given you maintain a 3.0 GPA).
I would strongly recomment this company to anyone who works well under pressue and is strong in their integrity. The only reason I quit is because I just had twins with medical issues and I need to be at home with my new family.

From Chicago — 09/02/2008

I loved working for Kaplan. The only downside was the low pay. If the company was located in a smaller town this would not be an issue. I have had great managers and an awesome time hanging out with coworkers. I would totally recommend getting a job with Kaplan if you don't have a lot of credit card debt.