Working at Kaiser Permanente — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Kaiser Permanente pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Kaiser Permanente

From Northern California — 08/11/2010

Horrible place to work. Its all about saving money and productivity. Not quality patient care or "world class service". Employees are not respected. Professionals are treated poorly. There is NO work life balance. Managers create a toxic work environment, because they are poorly trained and there is no accountablity. Managers lack basic understanding and skills to be company leaders.

From OREGON — 02/24/2010

The Pay is okay. Keep in mind that if you put in extra hours and work your butt off you won't be looked at for a promotion. If you do NOTHING and walk around and let everyone else do the work for you... you get promoted. They don't expect you to come in early and stay late, work weekends and such... but if you don't you won't get everything done. There is no accountability in any department. People don't follow through. It makes it impossible to do your job when other departments won't respond. It seems the less you do the further you will go. There are people who are simply clueless and shouldn't be in the jobs they have. KP won't get rid of them. It is frustrating!! There is no worklife balance. Thrive is for our members... not us. They want us to feel free to speak our minds but EVERYONE is scared to speeak their mind because we don't want to have the black mark by our name. Most of us need our jobs. They seem to get rid of the good employees and promote the dumbnuts. Not to mention most of the new hires the last 12 months have been from one of our biggest competitors! I was thinking the issues were with my dept. but it doesn't look like it is just mine. I once loved my job here at KP. I am hoping I will again. I am a strong KP believer and know that we are better than this. We just need to boot the bad managers out and promote the people who deserve it. The management is dishonest and sneeky. I don't trust them... not many people do. No one's job is secure. Sad. Very Sad.

From ca — 02/16/2010

Very fast pace, and always changing...well everything, but the fast pace.

From Southern California — 09/24/2009

Pay is consistently above community averages in all different job categories. Can't beat the benefits - paid vacation, paid sick time and full health coverage for entire family. Most older facilities are now being re-built, so there are some awfully nice, new locations to work in now! Not appropriate work environment for anyone who is lazy - you need to be prepared to be busy, work hard and do a good job in order to earn the above rewards.

From Roseville,Ca — 09/24/2009

There has been a huge expansion at the Roseville Medical Center with no additional hires. I work in Radiology and people are often placed in isolated areas with no help. There is no teamwork there is only you to handle a high patient load. Other areas of the hospital are the same. I have walked over to the Women and Childrens center on the weekend to do a portable x-ray, and there are patients in rooms but the desk is empty. There is no staffing at certain nurses stations. We have become very disfunctional in the area of communication. More than half the orders we get are incorrect. This is in part due to a terrible Health Connect system we are stuck with. It seems we are given new repetative documentation to do every day. We have become so focused on passing Joint Commission and knowing all the rules that simply taking care of patients is taking a back seat.

From San Marcos, ca — 09/14/2009

I am a "temporary employee" hired by a staffing agency. I therefore get paid $2 per hour less than everyone else who does the same job as me, and I am given no benefits, which is great for Kaiser, terrible for me. Also being a temp means if someone is to get laid off, it will be me first, even if I'm doing the best job. I love the hours and the location, very close to my home and I'm given a lot of breaks. I find that my co-workers who are "real" kaiser employees get let off the hook for everything, when the work is below standard, I get punished and threatened, even though I kick butt everyday. It's pretty harsh and probably can't be tolerated for a long period of time. I've been there over 1 1/2 years, can't take it much longer.

From ca — 08/12/2009

Like one of the poster said. Great benefits. My only concerned is about the co-workers. There are alot of twofaces. Talk good when your around and talk bad when you're not.

From Burbank, Ca — 05/04/2009

The pay and benefits are excellent. However, the management in Small biz account Management at the Burbank location is the worst I have ever experienced; simply discribed as Cruel and stupid. I have great respect for most of my peers within my department and I have a very high opinon of people within other sections of account managment such as Labor & Trust and Large market. Right now Job sercurity is up for grabs. Hard to say at this point with the economy being what is it. Work/ life balance is lip service. too many hours without relief and if you complain, it falls on deaf ears. Managment won't do jack to make positive changes and Kaiser's human resources department is a joke. The only way to obtain a career oppertunity in small business is to kiss the ass of the manager. Be very careful of the Passive / agressive games. Location is ok. With the exception of one co-worker, my peers are great. Very competent. However, the other one is a back stabbing, pyscho snake. The work enviroment is good. Over all with the exception of the managegment, Kp is a great company to work for but they really need to improve on who is choosen for management positions. They should have competence examines for managment. Account Managers have to take competence tests to advance, the same should be done for members of management.

From sacramento californi — 05/05/2008

We get regular questionaires we can fill out that ask us what would make our job better I believe these ideas are implemented a lot of the time. We have many avenues we can use to vent if we have any issues about the job, including an anonymous line. These is flexibility for those in crisis and managment does their best to accomodate vacations. You realy have to go to far to get fired from this job, like sleeping through your shift and bragging about it regularly. Most of the trouble we have with eachother can be handled by managment, private counseling that is available, or the peer pressure to get the job right for the sake of patient care. As a team, I think we are motivated to turn out a quality product because we care about the patients and this is where we go for health care also. There is plenty of potential for growth, but you won't be motivated by pay or job security, I think a lot of us feel there is not a big compensation for taking charge, and the company holds the leaders to higher standards. I don't see a scramble of people trying to climb the ladder of success her as I have at other facilities. I can't say this is the ideal environment to work in. I work in a sterile environment. There are no windows. My facility is one of the older ones so we are more cramped. I could transfer to a newer kaiser where they have modern interior design and made emplyee comforts such as te gym more attractive. I opted to keep a three day per week position but I get a regular 40 hour work week. More or less hours are available to me at any time. I can even sign up to work at other Kaiser facilities. I have worked regularly at two other Kaisers and some of their workers work with me now.

From Portland, OR — 06/07/2007

The bureaucracy and neophobic culture is sometimes overpowering, and there are some "lifers" with questionable skills. However, benefits and pay are good, and people are thrilled and treat you well if you're competent.