Working at K-Sea Transportation — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about K-Sea Transportation pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at K-Sea Transportation

From Staten Island, NY. — 09/07/2010

I guess there are a big difference between K-Seaís East Coast and West Coast Operations. I worked out of the Staten Island office for 3 years and didnít experience a fraction the problems that has been written for the West coast. The office personnel werenít pricks and most of them were actually nice guys just doing a difficult job. I think the command structure could have been more direct. We defiantly should have received supplies and replacement parts faster and in shorter intervals. But that being said, a lot of companies are having a hard time since the oil transportation market slowed down. I quit when the boats started getting cold stacked because lack of work and people were being sent home. If I had more seniority, I might have stuck around. The grass isnít always greener on the other side and if you donít believe me check out K-Sea East Coast competition on JobVent, McAllister Towing and Brouchard Transportation. I think getting unemployment benefits would be better then working for those two clown outfits.

From new york — 04/16/2010

an ok place to work

From seattle WA — 03/02/2010

i worked for this company for several years and as with all jobs on the water it is not a great lifestyle. 15 hr workdays are kinda brutal. The being away for forty days from everything and everyone you care about is not great. And also it never fails that one guy on the boat you will despise and he will despise you and you can't get away from him. so in that aspect this is the worst job you can have. however if u r comfortable with telling a guy to piss off ,and like lots of time off, and don't mind being completely miserable for forty days with strangers then this is the job for you.

From Staten Island, NY. — 01/17/2010

It takes 3 office personnel to make 1 simple decision and repairs and problems are fixed slowly if at all. Both the vessel and office personnel are usually nice but if you tried to run a small business the way this one is ran you would be out of business in a month. This company needs to have more structure and operate with a clear chain of command. I work on the vessel and at times when secured to the dock we will have three office personnel come to the vessel barking orders. It would be better if they had one single point of contact for the vessel and that person would have the authority and funds to fix problems without having to worry about someone second guessing them 2 hours latter.

The insurance is the best I've seen.

The union for the east coast is a complete failure. They don't accomplish anything except bring down the the pay wages for the top performers at the company and encourages laziness in its employees.

I stick around for the even time schedule, the great insurance and for the hope that things will be streamed-lined soon.

From SI, NY — 10/23/2009

great boats, mostly new barges, challenging work. The owners are smarter then most tugboat owners so business is good.

From Seattle,Wa — 08/24/2009

Good Pay. Equipment is complete junk. Old worn out 70's tugs with
"New" pin systems. The office has ZERO respect for the crews. The crews are ok but there are a ton of incompetent people working there.

All in all, It;s a stepping stone company. That's all it will ever be...

From staten island — 11/12/2007

newbie on fleet. pay will increase as the industry is on upswing. otherwise decent pay. you are valued here if you work and don't mess up, as any other job. although they being shorthanded might add to that. good benefits, not industry leaders but on par with other companies, good job security , as long as you work and don't mess up. can't complain about working 2 wks and off 2wks. good opportunities for growth. either by excelling in your position or going to trainning. not the preetiest company office, but you don't work there, so who cares. alot of experienced workers, all seem glad to help a newbie like me. some of the units are older, but they have had a lot of new units in place now.

From Staten Island NY — 03/26/2007

Money was pretty good, crew and officers were not too bad, but the area the company is located in sucks. Other than that, I had fun doing work with these guys, despite tugs and barges not exactly being my idea of fun sailing work.