Working at K-Mart — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about K-Mart pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at K-Mart

From Eau Claire, WI — 06/02/2010

I have worked for Kmart for 7 years and I think that a lot of the experience depends on the people you work for and with. I have been fortunate to have not only great managers, but great associates too. Retail can be a very difficult field to work in. Generally the workload far exceeds the staffing, at times you take a beating from customers, the pay is usually not very good, and the hours are horrible. That being said my experience with Kmart has still been a positive one because of the people that I work with. We try to keep things positive and in most of the locations I have worked, we have been like family. Management can make or break a store. The managers that I have worked for have made it a point to make sure that their associates are appreciated because they know that they cannot offer much more than that. After reading many of the other reviews, I feel very lucky to have had the experiences that I have had.

From baltimore, md — 03/16/2010

LOL my experience with this place called k- mart has been one BIG JOKE and all from the beginning. ive been working for kmart here in baltimore for the last past 10 months, and iam still making minimum wage. when i was offered the job, i were told that i would begin at minimum wage, but by the time i actually started the job i would be making an additional $1.50 cents for working the 4am-8am shift. what a crock! ive never received that shift diff and never will. this is the worse place ive worked in all my life, and i mean that dearly. i mean who is going to stick around and work for a company that will never give, and have no plans of giving anyone a pay raise. i actually work with people now who have not received a pay raise in about 2-3 years and longer for some others lol wtf. oh and dont let me speak on the massive rodent problem they have in the store my god mice get into everything in there its sickening, and someone needs to call the health department stat. i mean you have to deal with egotistical maniacs, an enornous rodent problem, horrible pay, and no recognition whatsoever all for $7.25 an hour I THINK NOT. iam clearly not at this shameful awful place by choice you better believe as soon as my new apt comes through kmart can kiss my assets if you know what i mean. please people do not work for these people ever. if youre desperate and need a paycheck, i would recommend fast food anytime and anyday before this hell hole.

From Utah — 03/01/2010

The Managers at my store are awesome! I love most of my coworkers, we have a lot of fun at work. Work is a pretty laid back and fun environment as long as we are doing what we've been assigned.