Working at Johnson Controls — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Johnson Controls pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Johnson Controls

From Michigan — 03/22/2009

Overall a pretty good place to work but recent layoffs worry me. Too many meetings.

From Erlanger, KY — 03/03/2009

Started with this company in October 2008 in purchasing/supply chain and have been impressed with this facility. The company pays excellent and the benefits are one of the best, very cheap around 50$ for medical and dental a month. Did not have to wait for benefits 90 days. Vacation is good too and it is crazy how many paid holidays employees get. Management seems very good and laid back, however at the same time top performance is expected. Also a lot of training is involved as well as management support unlike previous employer Siemens. Management is also flexiable and understanding of family situations. Everyone is very nice and office is small like a family but with big company move up opportunities. Being younger and single employee sometime is hard because of the older generation workers and there is not as much socializing and no one sometimes to go to lunch with. Also hiring process sucks due to use of third party background check Hireright , they drove me insane. So overall so far great company to work for don't think can get any better in this area. Feel good to be there and the drive is also no traffic coming from Cincinnati. Thanks

From Maryland — 12/10/2008

I worked for JCI as part of their York division, so I can't speak for any of the other JCI components. It was a good job. Everyone was nice. The managers seemed to sincerely care about the employees. I wouldn't say management was especially effective, but they worked harder and longer hours than anyone else there, and it could have been much worse. I would tend to blame the higher level managers more than the lower level managers as far as effectiveness goes because there was definitely a feeling that the upper guys would make stupid decisions to appease their bosses who didn't understand the business and it all fell down on those of us below. Where I worked was disastrously underfunded as far as investment in technology. We used a computer system from the dark ages that barely worked and yet was almost irreplaceable because of the huge cost of updating almost the whole company because everyone would need to be updated at once. The result was that work that should take minutes or hours would take days. I can't believe that a company that was so inefficient actually made money. The company as a whole seems to have almost no leadership program or setup to develop future managers, and it showed a lot in the people I would meet when other managers would come to visit our dept, so I wouldn't be surprised if they took a turn for the worse in the next decade. I worked 8 hour days. Everyone in my dept had their own cubicle. Can't complain about the benefits or salary.

From Milton, Ont. — 11/21/2008

I have worked for JCI in the automotive seating group for 11 years. The company has been very good to me, offering plenty of opportunity for growth. It is a great place for motivated individuals, that may not have a higher education, as JCI will help to develop your skills, and even pay for your education. They have always promoted from within, and I have seen many of my colleagues rise up from working on the shop floor, to now holding management positions. The benefits are better than any other company I have ever worked for. The wages are quite good, even though they have not gone up for 4 years now, but that is largely due to a slump in the automotive business as a whole. To conclude I truly belive that JCI is devoted to future growth sustainability of the environment, and the development, and long term growth of their people.