Working at John Deere — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about John Deere pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at John Deere

From Moline, IL — 05/13/2009

Please note while reading these reviews, that some reviews may be left by Union employees, and others by non-Union employees, which have very different jobs and conditions. I can speak to the salaried (non-Union) situations. Pay is very competitive, and was actually higher for me coming out of college than many offers I received in Chicago (add cost of living to that, and its very impressive). The respect issue varies with location. Although there are many that are in a "this is the way we've always done it" mentality, these employees have been with the Company many years, and there are also many newer employees that will be moving into those positions upon retirement that embrace change. Benefits are as good if not better than similar jobs and similar industries, no complaints (again, this is from the salaried side.) I cannot explain how great the work-life balance is at Deere. Being an accountant, there are many companies that you could go work for that require a 70-90 week plus an hour commute each way, with the possibility of having to work at home and every weekend. At Deere, there might be a 50 or 60 hour week every once in awhile, but even with that, there is a 10 minute or so commute and you have the freedom to come in earlier. They are also very mindful of family obligations and will work with you to make sure you can make them. The career growth potential is also very strong, as many will be retiring in the next 5 years and will need younger employees to fill those spaces.

From Midest Region,Iowa and Illinois — 01/07/2009

Great pay and fringe benefits, salaries and bonuses are outstanding. Great opportunities for new hires, college grades albeit don't expect much training. Get tagged a "high potential" and watch your career soar along with your pay. Perception is everything at Deere.If you hire in as a mid career from the outside, very difficult to crack the good old boy network, few do, many leave. All of the top positions are reserved for the good old boys. In fact highest turnover is midcareers hired from the outside. Deere culture is inbred,if it wasn't invented at Deere, well...not accepting of people who are not like them. Lots of lazy people making big money. Work life balance, fantastic! That's because no one works a 40 hr work week! Promote change in this company or put people to work and your career prospects end quickly. Deere talks alot about the "how". What this means is you do very little, passively come to work, don't challenge anyone to do something different or push them out of their comfort zone, especially if you are a manager,lots of politics. Deere does not deal with low performers, we have plenty of dead wood.Diversity, we hire minorities but very few are in upper level positions. Strategically placed minorities in the front office to give the perception the company is diverse. Great place for women of late, that's Deere's idea of diversity, they are fast tracking alot of women many of whom are average performers. Location, out of the Quad Cities, Moline, Illinois, most locations are out in the boonies. Be luck to get an expat assignment and there are opportunities.

From Moline, IL — 07/14/2007

Deere's salary for technical staff is very competitive, considering the opportunity to grow in your job with the company. The benefits, however, are a mixed bag...health insurance only so-so, having moved to a HSA, but 401k match and annual bonus are great. Job security has been stressful, now on our second move in 12 months, because of "business needs." Moline, IL isn't for everyone.

From Moline, IL — 06/14/2007

Great company to work for. Pay is great and so is the opportunity for advancement. I am very fortunate to work here.