Working at Joann Fabrics and Crafts — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Joann Fabrics and Crafts pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Joann Fabrics and Crafts

From Quincy, Illinois — 09/05/2010

This particular store its self was wonderful.I worked at this store for a year and a half. I walked in having never been to a Joanns before for my interview and was able to learn all the basic TM tasks within a month or so. Very clean, neat, and easy access to nearly everything in this store. There are employees who have worked there for years and each employee is almost an expert in nearly any craft. The managers are very friendly, very understanding and very patient with their employees. I was able to become immediate friends with nearly everyone! I loved working at this store. The location is just across the mall, but facing away from the main traffic, so you basically only get customers who are avid joann shoppers or mall shoppers. Not a very busy store.

the only DOWNSIDE is the company....AUDIT AUDIT AUDIT!! The past year has been nothing but audit THIS, audit THAT...All the past reviews for this company are 100% true. And if you've got a STL who's been scared into following the audit 100% all the time, you're more than likely going to get fired for not putting a lock on your locker during your break & you're sitting right next to it in the break room...or for wearing a t shirt that isn't white under your work shirt. or for not saying your name when you answer the phone.... the list goes on for ridiculous audit issues that you could possibly get written up for each time, 3 strikes and you're out! benefits are nothing to write home about. the pay is horrible. it is always minimum wage which in missouri is 7.25 at the moment. In Illinois, it is 8.25, so pay at the quincy store is a bit better. If you're serious about your job and don't show up late or call in, and are eager to learn everything, promotions to a management position could easily be yours, which comes with more responsibilities and a SLIGHTLY higher pay.

Also, payroll is never enough just as everyone has said....be prepared to be called nearly 4 times a week if you can come in early or on your day off because they are incapable of making a good schedule to begin with...

If the company would give it a rest with their 100s of audit issues that are driving everyone crazy, the store would not be too bad to work at. If you're a really crafty person you would love working there. What with their coupons and sales and being an employee you know before anyone what is going to be on sale, purchase items with a damaged discount (75%) and an employee discount....it can be fun talking with customers and helping them out.

Personally, I would not recommend working at Joanns unless you were a teenager needing your first job.