Working at Jewel Food Stores, Inc. — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Jewel Food Stores, Inc. pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Jewel Food Stores, Inc.

From Naperville, IL — 03/24/2009

I have worked part time at Jewel for nearly 20 years as a second job for additional income. I started as a bagger, like most part-time employees, and was promoted to grocery clerk after about 2 years. It really aggravates me when I see people complaining about getting carts in the heat/snow, cleaning up spills or cleaning bathrooms, that is your job! If you are not willing to do those things, find another job, no one is forcing you to stay. In my time at Jewel I've experienced both great management and some not so great, but that's true of any job you will have in your life. Jewel makes an excellent second job, the pay is good, the benefits are good and they are flexible with the schedule. Location is excellent because there are so many stores, there is bound to be one close to where you live. I do my job to the best of my ability, that is all Jewel ( and ANY company) asks of it's employees and I have earned the respect of management by doing that. If you show up on time, and do a decent job, the job security is excellent, it's very hard to get fired from Jewel unless you steal or simply don't care about yourself or your job performance. I've never had any problem working at Jewel, it's not a job you have to take home with you and I've been very happy there. If you are feeling disrespected it's because you haven't earned it, you are not automatically entitled to it.

From Stickney, Illinois — 07/26/2008

I been there 3 months as a service clerk (bagging groceries, pushing carts). It is not the worst job, however the management needs to work well for the job to be enjoyable.

I hate how only male go out to push carts 6 HOURS STRAIGHT!
To make it worse they keep hiring female not only that i am only working 12 hours a week!

You work every weekend sat and sun
sometimes like once a month you'll get a Saturday off

they make the motivation so cheesy and corny it is embarrassing.
the managers are always pissed because they cant handle the stress that customers cause. Yet they arent outside in the hot weather pushing carts fast enough to please the customers

death to jewel

From Chicago, IL — 05/15/2008

My first part-time job as a jr in high school was for Jewel. I have to say that it was the BEST time of my life!!! Yes, I worked hard, harder than most who just got by where I tried my best to make sure that things were in order and clean and I always tried to maintain a happy face when dealing with customers. I think the pay was great!!! Back in 1990, making $9.45/hr plus being able to pay for pretty decent health insurance was AWESOME!!! Of course there was some unfairness from the managers, they always had a conflict on rules, which drove me nuts because I didn't know who wanted what. (Then there was one manager who loved to schedule me until 2am and then have me open at 7am.) Most of the customers were good, some really tried to make my life hell but it's been 18yrs since I've been gone and I do miss it. Geez, I was so naive back then!!!

From Normal, Illinois — 10/28/2007

I have worked with Jewel for almost 10 years. When I started at age 17, I certainly never imagined I would still be there at this point in my life. While pay and advancement opportunities are not excellent, the work, flexibility, job security, and people are overall good. I get three weeks of vacation per year. I have been a service clerk (i.e. bagger) for quite some time, and do enjoy it. My customers enjoy me, and I get along well with my supervisors and co-workers. They work with my schedule quite well, since I have another full-time day job. Jewel requests that you be available to work at least 12 hours per week. My supervisors sometimes get moody, but if do your job and get on their good side, they are reasonable and easy to get along with. Jewel also tolerates more than most companies do in the way of attendance and dependability. High school kids in particular call off work at the last minute, and I cover for them quite often. You almost always get the days off you request, except in rare cases such as during holidays or busy periods. You also have a five-minute grace period from your start time of work before you are counted late. My store directors are overall good and flexible if you do your job. The main behaviors that will get you fired from Jewel are stealing, drug and alcohol use on comapny grounds, and repeated no-call, no-shows. For teens seeking their first job or those needing a second part-time job, I recommend Jewel.