Work at JCPenney — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about JCPenney pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at JCPenney

From Fairview Hts, IL — 10/02/2009

It was a great place to work. It seemed as though the people there actually cared about their coworkers. It was once of the friendliest places I've ever been.

From Indiana — 09/10/2009

I love JC Penney's and I feel it is a great place to work. If you are a cheerful person, which I am, you will fit right in!

Managers are very respectful and use positive reinforcement at every chance. They give out discount certificates as rewards to employees for good customer service. They very frequently feed employees subs, sandwiches, catered meals, etc during the holiday season. They often give out gift cards. We received a gift card at Thanksgiving last year for $10 at the local grocery store to help out with our Thanksgiving dinners.

There always seem to be some employees who were not grateful for these measures that management took to make us feel appreciated. Some employees try to find something wrong with every nice gesture offered to them. To be happy here, you have to be the kind of person who is really responsive to positive reinforcement and who takes it to heart and believes that they are being reinforced for a job well done (and not misconstrue it as lip service). Some people are highly responsive to positive reinforcement and really feel good about it and other people somehow take it as a negative thing...those people maybe are instead motivated by money or by having fun with their coworkers at work?

Anyways, I love it here. It seems like people either love it or they hate it. They either thrive here or wilt here. It is just a matter of what motivates you and what your priorities and preferences are in a job. There are some jobs that I have had that others LOVED but which I hated. It is just a personality thing.

Oh, the benefits are really good. And the work/life balance if highly rated too, coming in at #3 in the Nation in some recent polls I have found.

From NJ — 09/04/2009

Pay was not very good, I was promoted from within to management, other managers I know received a higher pay when they came from outside. Raises were almost nonexistant unless you count the 1 or 2 percent.

Respect..ha what is that, you are expected to be on call all day every day forget about your family, vacations or any other days off! As a manager you are expected to have the studio covered at all times, normally this is not a problem but if you have an employee get sick you need to cover their shift no matter what. If someone is a no call no show you are supposed to be psychic and know ahead of time and show up to work. Upper management sucks! They disrespect you whenever they can putting you down for everything and never praising you when you do a good job or deserve it, I worked my ass off for absolutely no respect. Luckily many of my customers were respectful, I did have many regulars that would only come in when I was working.

I must say the only thing that kept me with the company for so long was the benefits, although the benefits are really only good if you are a full time employee, as a part time employee they only offer a health and wellness plan. but for full time you get full benefits and ESOP which is your stock in the company.

Job security...NONE!!!! I worked for this company for almost 9 years, moved my first studio up almost 2 volumes in 2 years, was transfered and didn't do as well. A new DM came in, didn't like me and did everything she could to get rid of me.

Work/Life bablance: you will never have a life again, you are required to work 40 hours a week, you ALWAYS end up working more than that, the company wants to save on labor so more often than not you are working alone with too many appointments. Maybe if they stopped scheduling appointments on the hour you are supposed to close at night they could save on labor. They boast about being a family oriented company but they could care less about you and your family! I was pregnant and out of work in the hospital for two days and was asked to step down because I could obviously no longer handle my job. Mind you I covered my shifts from the emergency room.

Career Potential/ Growth : unless you want to be married to your job there really isn't any

Work Environment : TERRIBLE! Many days you have customers screaming at you because you couldn't get their bratty kids to give you the perfect smile meanwhile they won't listen to mom so what makes her think they will listen to you?! I've been spit at, kicked and hit and completely disrespected. Then you're expected to upgrade everyone's $7.99 portrait package to a $200 collection and they give no quality time in the camera room or to actually do a sale.
Needless to say I couldn't be happier since I left the company!

From Plano, Tx — 07/21/2009

love my job at JCP. pay is good for what you do. the work place is very respectful. i do not currently take in benefits so cannot be sure about that. job security seems good. never been in fear of loosing my job. they work very well with schedule. never had a problem. not a lot of room for growth, but thats because no one ever leaves. location is good at the mall in plano. co workers are competent.

From Beavercreek, OH — 06/26/2009

You know, all the reviews on here of JCP are pretty bad. I really don't think it's a bad company, I just think that it depends on who you work with. I work in Loss Prevention and I think it's great! They are flexible with my schedule and I love that, the pay could be better, but I think it's reasonable, and I actually enjoy going to work daily! I think the company is pretty great, and I've worked for some bad one's before. Overall I would have to say they are a great company to work for, provided you don't have idiots for managers!

From scranton pa — 03/18/2009

JCPenney has been a wonderful place to me over the past three years. I started out in high school and now am in college and I love working there. It amazes me that people are complaining about the hours they had to work.... its RETAIL, its what you signed up for. They sound like the typical associates who "dont want to work nights or weekends". I am always valued for my contributions. On top of a 20 or 25% associate discount there are many opportunities to win $5 off coupons and a numerous amount of company gift cards throughout the year. The pay is what average retail pay is in my area.

There is the occasional associate(s) who will talk about you behind your back but the sad truth is thats how they are as a person, its not JCPenney's fault. One complaint I would make though is that the management is very slow in reacting to problem associates (those that show up late or never show up at all and take advantage of everyone and everything).

And of course it is going to be a stressful place to work, come on, you wait on hundreds of people per day around the holidays and are expected to cater to everyones needs (thats what customer service is, lets not forget....)

My overall evaluation of this company is good and most likely you will enjoy the fun you will have with other associates. If you actually plan your future out the management is very good with helping you achieve your goals. Division managers are only required a high school degree whereas everyone else higher up in the company must have at least a college degree.

If your a hard worker and actually like interacting with people, go for it! If your an anti-social lazy slug only looking for the pay, you best look elsewhere, this job will KILL you.

From Troy, MI — 03/07/2009

I want to start off by saying, I love my job. I have worked for other companies before, but Lifetouch is a true ESOP company. First off, ESOP is employee stock owndership program, this means the employees actually own the company. There is no owner earning the profits, but we are. They do now pay overtime, but it is discouraged and it should be. If you are a good manager and can actually train your associates and grow your business, you should have no problem finding the labor hours to give to your above average photographers. The pay could always be better, but it's more than the last company paid me. I believe we have a great support system. I do have my complaints as well, but all together the opportunity for growth (which is very possible with dedication) because the company has a program now where they try to hire within first for next level opportunities. They hold a yearly territory meeting where they fly you to another city and put you up in a Hilton for the night with great meals and an awesome performance in motivation. I believe a career is what you make it and apparently these people complaining did not have the tools to succeed or they just chose not to use them.

From Fairfield, CA — 02/26/2009

Year 2008 JC Penney company cut back over 800 jobs at the corporate office, and everyone got scared. Year 2009 they said no raises this year, but people will get to keep their jobs, but they started to downsize and eliminate positions on the store level, so no raise, less hours, and people still getting laid-off regardless lead me to pack my bags and find a better job. The economy is bad, but its shocking to know that one of the best retail stores who stayed afloat are doing nothing to help the economy. Employees should be the priority, where else are they going to find good customer service. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Mike Ullman.

From Ocala, Florida — 11/15/2008

This store is a wonderful JCPenney to work at. I have worked there for over three years. I am now away at college, but they said that I can come back to work there whenever I want so I come back during breaks and the summer. Everyone there is nice and the management respects the associates. They are very reasonable and they worked around my school schedule. My co-workers were a joy to work with and they are all hilarious. We worked like a real team. If you want an enjoyable place to work than this is your store.

From Midwest Region — 08/07/2008

I really liked working for the JCPenney Company. It was hard work, alot of standing but fellow employees were great! The company itself was caring. The atmosphere was really nice. I was at a good location which I think makes a big difference.