Working at JCPenney — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about JCPenney pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at JCPenney

From New Jersey — 10/08/2010

I was just hired. Past background check and they called and offered me the job to work the Men's Department. My entire experience with them has been nothing but pleasant. My starting pay is $11.50. Which surprised me because I was expecting $8.00 like what Macy's offered me as well as other retail stores. They work around my school schedule, no questions asked. I also get a minimum of 25 to 30 hours a week which is more than expected. As far as growth goes, if you stay you will move up. I was told that upon completing my degree I could opt to take a manager's assessment test and apply. So far, besides Costco ($13.50 hr), I am very happy thus far with the company.

From St. Cloud, Minnesota — 07/17/2010

I've been working in the shoe department here for about a month now. The only problem I really have with it so far is the long-ish shifts and working more than I asked (I asked for 20-30 and am getting 30+ a the moment). The other coworkers also all act very nice but tend to bitch about the other workers when they're not around. Overall...it's pretty decent.

I also don't like how they really try to get you to get people so sign up for credit apps. I really don't trust credit cards, and I've seen people get yelled at for not getting enough people to sign up. It's kind of irritating.

From wilmington delaware — 07/03/2010

I worked at penneys for a very short time! I was hired on the am shift from 5:30- 10:30 but was never done until after 1:00 and everyone said oh they make you work until they want to no real schedule!What!!?? How can any company do that ? And then on top of it all the pay sucked! My advice stay away from jc penneys career website go somewhere else and work your ass off with no lunch and for no money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

From Brookfield, WI — 06/07/2010

I loved working at JCP. It was perhaps the working environment too, but I loved all my coworkers. I had excellent managers, except for maybe one, but everything else was great! Retail just sucks in general but JCP was great. We had staff to put away clothes while I mainly cashiered. I miss working here compared to my job now. The pay could have been a little better but that is about it.

From texas — 03/23/2010

This is a great place to work if your a teen needing a little cash :)

From utah — 03/17/2010

I love the people that I work with and it's good to get expierence, but otherwise its rediculous. I have one of the highest sells averages, but I can't even be CONSIDERED for a raise for at least another 6 months- and that depends on how many hours ive worked. Well the hours aren't my fault- I am available a lot, but they never have enough "sits" to have me come in. Yet I'm "on call" all the time so I never know what my schedule will be until like 2 hours before so I can't even plan my life around my job. It's all just up in the air and I do WAY too much work for the company for the amount I get paid. I have to look for a second job because I hardly get paid enough to pay for my gas of getting there.

From utah — 01/18/2010

The work environment is fun and the skills are useful, but hours are hard to come by

From Clifton Park — 01/08/2010

Great place to work! Great discount! Customers and associates come first and the managers respect that and are so friendly to their employees! Plus JCPenney customers are very friendly as well

From colorado springs, co — 01/04/2010

I was hired for christmas and am still working there. The discount we recieve is nice, the pay is very low for the amount of work we do, but I am grateful to have a job in this economy. My biggest surprise and complaint is that JC Penny's is sceduling people 5 1/2 hours and six hours giving them a half hour lunch that we clock out for and not givnig them a break. On six hour shift I work 4 hours with no break then go to lunch and come back and finish out my day. They are robbing employees of there breaks! They also schedule you 4 1/2 hours and send you to clock out for lunch that way the company never gives anyone a break! I'm surprised that they are so unethical! No employees will contest it because they all are afraid they will be fired.

From new york — 10/13/2009

i just started working at jcpenney about 4 weeks ago and i love working their but i am a full time student and they are not flexible with my schedule at all and it is really starting to annoy me. They told that it was a part time job and i would be working no more than 20 hours a week. but i have been working 30-32 hours a week and get off at 12-12 30 at night if they would have told me this in the beginning i would have never taken the job. Overall i really liked working at jc penney i loved my coworkers good thing a better job for me came along when it did.