Working at Jabil Circuit — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Jabil Circuit pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Jabil Circuit

From Tempe — 08/26/2010

I have seen many negative reviews of Jabil Tempe in particular and I disagree. Jabil has done a very good job since taking over the plant from Varian. Varian was less strict about headcount (we actually used to have people at the end of a wave machine, just "catching" boards, what a waste!) This actually made us less price competitive against other companies and I think Jabil was looking in the interests of profitability and set ourselves up better for the future. We make more profit now than we did as Varian and thus better job security in a market where so many customers choosing to oursource overseas. And with the tough economic situation in 09, lots of good people who did know their job very well were let go and that was tough to see, but I think we saw that around the country.

One thing is for sure though, you will need to spend some considerable time at the office. I don't believe so much in that you need to be in the "boys club" to move up... but people who want to leave at 3pm, complain out loud and are seen as having a negative attitude or always "going against the grain" of management will not last long.

Career advancement is fairly easy at Jabil if you get the idea. You can't just do your job very well to get promoted... I heard one manager told me "You should be so good at your job, that you spend half of your day doing your job and half of your day doing your bosses job." So many people I've seen say "That's not my job" and that's it for them, you just took yourself out of the running for a promotion. I know many people are afraid of being abused by the company but I have never ever in 6 years seen someone go above and beyond at their position and not be rewarded for it within 3 months or so. Jabil is a HUGE promote from within company. But don't expect to get a promotion unless you've proven that you can handle at least a part of the job you are applying for. I'm sure this system seems strange for some people but if you're a go-getter you can get promoted every year or two.

All in all, I love Jabil. I am not in the "in-club" as they say but I have still seen success through really working hard and asking to learn and do more, and been promoted 3 times in 2 years, with no college degree. By the way, this company is for the most part OK with not having a degree, they don't really even ask about it compared to some companies. I am now in a top management position after starting at the bottom 6 years ago, through many management changes (almost 100% turnover) in that timeframe.

Jabil has locations around the world and you can also seek advancement through application to other Jabil sites. They also will consider a candidate from another Jabil facility before hiring from outside the company. People move in and out of different Jabil sites all the time and it is a good strategy to help build the company from within.

Bottom line: if you prove you can do the job, you WILL get it. Be eager and be willing to learn (not saying you have to suck up, just say "Hey I want to learn about this.") Having a strong and positive personality will get you very far. If you want to leave at 3pm every day or don't want to learn anything new or take on any additional responsibility unless you're promoted up front, you will be in your same position for a very long, long time.

From Memphis, Tn — 11/16/2009

Overall, it's a great company but the inner relationships make for very discriminating outcomes.

From Tempe, AZ — 03/26/2009

I worked at Jabil for over 12 years. Although I did advance quite a bit and got significant pay raises, my confidence in the company was shattered when I was passed over for a higher paying job...twice. The first time, I wasn't called in for an interview because my application was lost. Funny since their applicantion process is performed ONLINE. I can still pull it up ONLINE. The second time, I was pulled in by my supervisor on a weekend so they could tell me that they were offered the job I was applying for...at one of their so called "Beer 30" nights. Sources told me I was going to be offered the job and was highly considered, but the job was offered to someone who was less qualified because they were struggling in their current position. If you want a job, then this place is for you, although I do hear they are struggling a bit. On the other hand, if you are looking for a fair and honest workplace, look elsewhere.

From Tempe,az — 02/15/2008

The plant is a little dirty, bad for allergies. There is tons of room for advancement, great raises, and tons of voluntary overtime. If you have a tech or engineering job there are a lot of brilliant people to learn from, and there is a lot of respect from supervisors and co-workers. Work hard and show up on time and you have a long-term career. One of the best jobs I ever have had and a great place to start if your right out of school.

From Tempe, AZ — 02/05/2008

Overall, a nice place to work. I am doubtful of the room for advancement, as I do not see it happen often.

From St.Petersburg, FL — 08/16/2006

If you are a salary employee the pay is not worth it. You will easily work 50-60 hours per week, and they give you a cell phone so you are on call 24/7. People love to place blame on anyone but themselves, and don't take responsibility for their own actions. There is a high employee turnover. The "Jabil Culture" consists of being over-worked, underpaid, constantly stressed, not being properly trained, and doing other people's jobs on top of your own. This company is not as great as they make it out to be. I am a recent college grad who was sucked into this company by their smooth talk only to find out after I started the job all of the lies they fed me during the inteviews about how great it is to work here.