Working at J.C. Penney — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about J.C. Penney pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at J.C. Penney

From Chula Vista, CA — 06/16/2010

When i first started working at JCP, i loved it, being around clothes, specials, and great environment, but as soon everything was going great, i got the nastiest customer that actually made me cried. He was mean for no reason, (he was the second customer in line, there was a cashier helping the first customer, and i was doing a chargeback!) he went to complained with the manager (that i was goofing around and didn't want to help him, when in fact, i did approach him and he just wanted my name, ok!) and on top of that the manager told me that customer is first and i just needed to smile and get it over it. NOW i don't care if customers argues or gives me an attitude because they are in a bad mood, don't like the prices, don't have the receipt, i don't care. You don't have the receipt is not my problem! You will get the lowest price if it goes on clearance or the sale price. You have 90 days to return the item! What is up with Code Green?? I feel so lame walking around the store and greet each and every customer. I hate the part standing on the door and say "welcome to JCPenney" , "thank you for shopping at JCPenney", when im standing there i just say to myself, "please let me find another job, i had it with this one". Another thing that gets on my nerves is when supervisors "cleans up" a section and leaves the cart so we can clean it.... like are you serious? i have to be at the register, help customers, do go backs, clean the fitting rooms and the floor and you still want me to clean your cart. Nice! UGH!! I only like working at JCPenney when i get understanding, nice and happy customers because they make my day go good. I am a good, sweet person and i really don't like to fight not argue with them, but some just won't shut up and let me explained what i can do to help them, it irritates me! Oh and i also hate icaps! Seriously the supervisors needs to leave me alone. Is not my fault customers don't want a credit card, jcp rewards, and take the survey. It is too much, i can't handle it no more. I need to quit for sure.

From TX — 05/11/2010

The yearly evaluations are a joke. I got a lot of meets expectations when I should've had more above expectations. When I asked why that was my manager said because the store manager hardly let anyone get any above e. And do you know why that is? Because the lower under budget that store is each year, the bigger the manager's raises are. And giving people raises would waste more money. I know this from a friend who used to be a jcp manager. That's also why they only schedule 1 or 2 people closing in each department each night (to save money I'm sure, the greedy bastards) so it ends up taking until around 1am to clean the store. It's corrupt. I hear that a lot of companies do this, but hopefully there's some that'll pay you more for putting up with it.

From Puyallup, WA — 03/06/2010

I loved workiing for JC Penney! Wherever y'all worked you must've been the people who believed the work was too below you. JC Penney, unless you're there specifically for management, is not going to be a place where you're going to get more than minimum wage. This is because the work is not the hardest in the world, so suck it up. I loved my job, I worked in Jewelry and received commission for every sale I made. I received minimum wage but as this was one of my first jobs, I didn't mind and I thought it was good money. It might also be just WA, but my min. wage was at least 3 dollars above the average nationally. My coworkers were nice, my management was nice, and everyone where I worked knew how to handle situations if they came up. We didn't have to deal with anything bad, like bitchy customers (there were many) or stealing, because upper management did it for you. They were angels compared to any other store I'd worked at.

Like I said, maybe it's just my store but J.C. Penney is the only place I would go back to if I wasn't already working elsewhere. We had a great store and great people who ran it, and I'm surprised people here hate it so much. I'm willing to bet y'all got fired for not following the training videos ;)

From Richmond,VA — 02/06/2010

I have been with the company for over 5 years at two different locations. I started as seasonal temp help, but after the holidays, secured a full-time permanent customer service positon. After a year, I got promoted to inventory maintenance associate, and after another year, moved across the country and got promoted to department supervisor. After a year, I was offered a lateral promotion - department supervisor of 2 departments.
I enjoy the type of work, though customers are getting much ruder and very mean. The inability to confront theives even when you see them steal is very frustrating. The pay does suck. I am barely able to afford to live on my own. The insurance is ok, though cheap. The 401k is good ~ a lot of fund options and a brokerage account option. Management above me is respectful, and very clear in communicating expectations.
It is frustrating that the company places SO much emphasis on the Overall Satisfaction score; it's unfair because rating a 4 - Satisfied - is failing. Only 5's - Highly Satisfied - count. And you're penalized for not getting all 5's. And there is a bit much emphasis placed on credit applications.
Overall, it is a good place to work. They just need to pay better. It's sad that working full-time barely pays for an apartment and utilities. Food sometimes optional.

From Wayne, NJ — 12/13/2009

JCp is one of those companies that does care for the customer and thats who they focus on the most. I worked as a manager there but you are expected to put your life on hold. There were some nights that you wouldn't leave til 2 hours after your shift and I felt bad for most of the employees on the night shift. Since I was a manager, I got alot of respect but the expect results too. Be careful working here because Loss Prevention is always looking to fire you to boost their numbers.

From Kansas City, Metro north mall — 10/30/2009

This was an okay job. I spent most of my paychecks on clothes. The work was easy and most of my co-workers were pretty cool, except for this one overweight teenager who needed to buy size 16 and instead would stuff herself into a size 12 pant and wear midriff shirts causing her spare tire to be the most eyecatching thing about her. She really was an eyesore, and she had bad attitude and was stuck up. How do you look like Jabba the Hut with a bleach blond wig and be stuck up? Anyway, I digress. Good job to have during college. It's easy, and the money is okay if you live in a trailer and have a paid for 1992 Plymouth Acclaim.

From Nashua, NH — 09/22/2009

JC Penney’s saved my life. I needed a place where I could belong, keep busy and feel appreciated. Managers are great about thanking staff for doing a good job with tasks, as well as, for helping customers, sales etc. They promote teamwork and downplay the negative.

We, the staff, sales and support team, have a great time together. I would love to make more money and could use it. However, the company is successful because the customers come here because of price and quality. If you change the pay either price or quality will suffer. Customers will find other stores if either are unacceptable.

The benefits program is one of the reasons I took the job. Vision, Dental, Limited Health, catastrophic health coverage are available. I have had better programs in my previous career. But Penney’s is a part time position and few part time positions offer anything comparable.

Advancement will come slowly unless a candidate is hired in a management track. Relocation is most likely needed to move up quickly. Supervisors are usually not in that track. Our proximity to Boston offers additional locations for an assistant manager to rotate to gain experience.

From oregon — 08/28/2009

The pay absolutely sucks. Beware you will get told they will hire you for minimum wage

From lake grove long Island — 05/23/2009

Have learned alot working a JCP,, dealing with customers,, dealing with top Management,, felt at times, that STore Managers top priority was satisfaction for the customers,, do understand that, at times, esp in certain depts, not only floor depts,, other depts were not given the attention thatm was needed!