Working at Intuit — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Intuit pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Intuit

From Plano, TX — 01/26/2009

In my experience, here are the good things about Intuit:

1) Pay - they pay better than a lot of companies. However, but raises are reserved for the top performers and most critical positions. On the downside, they are very stingy with stock options now, and there is no real long-term incentive there.
2) Customer Focus - They really do spend a lot of time and money trying to understand their customers and they try to incorporate this into their development efforts.
3) Facilities - In plano, they have a nice cafeteria, workout roon, and volleyball and basketball courts on site. However, they are pretty strapped on space and some people had to share offices (when I left at least).
4) There is a culture of civility at Intuit (which can be nice). You won't find a lot of people swearing at each other or ridiculing each other in meetings.
5) Transparency - There is decent tops-down communication. While you won't be told everything, you can easily find out information about sales numbers, revenue, etc.

The BAD things about working at Intuit...

1) Strategy of the week - Intuit is a very impatient organization. Every year there was a new major philosophy, strategy or process change. I love Scott Cook, but there was a lot of work created trying to incorporate the latest catchphrase or apply the latest innovation philosophy that he read about (because the one that he read about last month wasn't good enough anymore). Also, every year or so, there was a big rollout of a completely new strategic focus (at least for our business in Professional Tax). We spent tons of time trying to revise our three-year product strategies to reflect the new direction. All that we ever really ended up doing was reformatting and rewording the content to fit the new model...rejustifying the same old initiatives.

Also, trying to figure out whether we should be using Six Sigma or the next new Toyota quality model was tiring. We spent lots of time implementing those processes without a lot of results.

2) Reinventing the wheel - In a similar vein, we often had to rejustify projects after we were LONG into the development cycle to prove that they still fit into our strategy. Some new VP would come along and challenge why we were doing something. Ultimately a lot of good projects got killed.

3) Focus on the shareholer - no matter what they say, the shareholder comes first at Intuit. A lot of very shortsighted decisions were made in the name of making the quarterly numbers look good.

4) Politics - Everyplace has them, but they can get pretty thick between the San Diego group and the Plano group. Also, the Quickbooks team is the 800 pound gorilla. If they don't want your project to succeed, they will make sure that it gets killed.

5) Job Stabililty - I never felt that my job was safe in any way at Intuit. They like to make organizational changes all of the time. While large scale RIFs are not common, sporadic job eliminations are common.

6) Meeting Culture - I often had meetings at least 8 hrs per day. I had to work nights and weekends to get my actual work done.

7) Too many managers - Intuit is sort of like one of those road construction crews that you see on the road. There is on person working and eight other people supervising. Well, maybe it is not that bad, but there are entire groups devoted to do nothing by get status reports on projects and feed them up the chain. There are just tons of people whose jobs are spend collecting stauts reports and then rolling them up for the next layer of management. It was a little crazy.

From San Diego, CA — 11/18/2008

I've worked at Intuit for many years now and have found the Pay to be competative. Including bonuses, stock options etc it's great.
Respect. Excellant. You have to earn it obviously
Benefits are excellant. The only problems is the HR company they contacted out to. They have a crappy help line and it three weeks to get my documentation to me. ( and that was after four phone calls.) Tow days before they emailed the forms I received a letter telling they hadn't recieved a reply and would cancel the benefits if they didn't get the documents within two weeks. )
Job security. Good. We've had layoffs but who hasn't.
Work Life Balance. A joke. They talk the talk but when it comes down to it everyone is expected to sacrifice a lot. Long long days and huge amounts of stress. Every one complains but it goes on and on.
Career potential, so so. Once you reach a certain position the only way to advance is to be a manager. That's it.
Location. Good, lots of restaurents and stores nearby but they are essentially strip malls.
Coworker competance. I couldn't ask for a better team to work with.
Work environment. Great cafeteria. Huge gym full of equipment, basket ball courts, running track

From Plano, TX — 09/19/2008

Intuit Pays relatively well sticking to the 65th percentile model. Though they WILL pay you if they want you. Overall, they have the typical problems most big companies do...Red tape, Silo'd business units and overall bleh.

Intuit is very focused on the employee and employee engagement scores are a metric that is evaluated annually. Work / life balance is good and the benefits are stellar.

From Tucson, AZ — 08/01/2008

I have to start with the fact that I hated my first job with Intuit. I hated tech support. I sounded like a sailor with turettes. That being said. This was, hands down, the best company I ever worked for. I'm not saying they didn't have their problems, and I know the layoffs there now are hurting people, but I will say:

Pay was respectable.

Respect was dependent. A casual work environment is awesome, but it also allows management to draw a clearer line between "us and them."

Benefits: I've worked for two insurance companies. I had better benefits with Intuit.

Job Security: Not that hot right now and even then was touch and go.

Work/Life Balance: Days off for volunteering, on location blood drives, tax season was pretty harsh as was year end, but other than that, it always felt pretty good.

Career Potential/Growth: It was odd how some people already knew who was getting the promotion, days before it was announced, and in one gaff on my part, days before the chosen party knew.

Location: Close to fast food, sushi, steaks, guero canelo, can you really ask for more? Big warehouse building but brightly painted with a built in gym, game room, corner couches for naps, outdoor patios for bbqs and lots of roadrunners and chipmunks hanging around.

Co-Worker Competence: Hated failure to leave notes on a previous call. Had to listen in on calls transferred to India where their lack of pronunciation was only exceeded by the speed with which they spoke.

Work Environment: They went out of their way to make it good. Yeah, definitely call center. Big building, middle of the desert, but I would say for a call center, less than terrible and they went out of their way to make it a pleasant place to work.

From Fredericksburg — 03/26/2007

I worked at Intuit in their Fredericksburg, VA location for a year and a half before being laid off. The work environment and the benefits were the best thing about the job for me. You could wear whatever you wanted to work including flip flops, shorts, sweat pants, etc. and you had practically unrestricted internet access and loads of downtime to use it. They had a good 401K, average vacation time, a great Employee stock purchase plan and always gave you stock as part of reviews, etc. The bad part was there were extremely few opportunities to move up. It seems they were downsizing the location's workforce as people left or were fired they never backfilled the positions and then at the end of Feb they laid off significant postion of the staff. As for the location, it was one of the better companies to work for in Fredericksburg, much better to live and work in F'burg then commute to Northern Virginia. Job Security was below average. I worked in Sales and people always speculated as to who wasn't making goal and who would go, etc. I felt like I contributed very little and felt like management treated my position as such because my input was rarely sought. I found myself extremely bored for most of my time there. All in all a decent place to work, good mix of people and personalities and good benefits, just not very challenging or fulfilling.