Working at Internal Revenue Service — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Internal Revenue Service pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Internal Revenue Service

From oxon hill, maryland — 12/07/2009

This isn't a bad place to work. I work in procurement so my job experience may be a little different from the other people that reviewed, however working here has its benefits. We are able to take as much schooling as necessary as long as it relates to our job. They don't work us to death and management is down to earth. The average pay is probably a GS-09/11 and management realize the value in promoting employees. The location has free garage parking but the area has its fair share of violence and crimes. Job security is ok but be careful when filing your taxes! The IRS does not play when it comes to an IRS employee or their immediate family not being financially responsible at tax time. Benefits are ok but you don't get flex time, child care or some of the other things that gov agencies are providing. You do get trained, comp time, some overtime, free schooling and the alternative work schedule. Overall I would suggest working for the IRS... People here are pretty cool and I still have most of my hair.

From Seattle, WA — 02/06/2009

Yes the job is very secure, and work / life balance is easy to maintain with a 40 hour work week. I could make more money in the private sector, but not working these hours. Unfortunately the job security and hiring policies also means that there are a lot of people employed here that absolutely would not be able to stay employed in the private sector; there are the hygenically challenged, the socially inept, and the flat-out borderline insane. It's hard to maintain an air of professionalism when your co-workers wear dirtly, too tight clothes and sing loudly at their desks. It's hard to maintain any sense of the intrinsic value of your work when your drowning in deadlines and the few support staff you have are either lazy or completely incompetent. This job is soul crushing at times...but I try to keep a positive attitute because the pay is good and it's recession proof.

From cleveland, oh — 10/07/2008

Great place to work in the tax world without 90 hour weeks. Under rated in the accounting world and gets an undeserving reputation. A great place to work.