Working at InterContinental Hotels Group — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about InterContinental Hotels Group pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at InterContinental Hotels Group

From Atlanta — 01/11/2010

Hmmm...after reading the other posts, it makes me wonder if there is another InterContinental Hotels Group corporation out there that these respondents worked for. My experience is something different: have been with the company more than 10 years and have found that the pay is pretty standard for a company this size, and the benefits are actually slightly better, with a matching 401(k). Respect and job security go hand in hand: my experience has been that if you work hard, know your job and take time to partner with people rather than blustering...well, you'll earn the respect of your colleagues and you'll prove your value as an employee.

Work/life balance isn't very balanced right now, but that's a factor of the economy. I've progressed in my career by knowing my job, learning new skills, working with other departments, taking on new challenges...so there IS Career Potential/Growth - but you have to earn it and not expect that it be given to you by virtue of your time with the company. Location - traffic's a downer, but that's the case anywhere in Atlanta.

The vast majority of my co-workers know their stuff, are proud of their work and really care about doing a good job. In any company you'll find a few people who aren't willing to put in 100% and this one is no exception - I just refuse to damn the whole company for a few (very few) bad apples.

From Salt Lake City, UT — 09/11/2009

I've worked for IHG since it was Holiday Inn Worldwide. And now is the best time I've ever had. We have more fun, more competence and more freedom to create than ever before. I've seen a lot of companies come and go, but through these difficult economic times, I feel secure that IHG will be around for a long time to come. Smart people are in charge.

From Alpharetta, GA — 04/06/2008

Pay - When you get a promotion or lateral move, be sure not to get it between October 29th and the date in March/April when raises are issued. If you do, you won't get your raise because you already got one for the year. Bonuses are great if you are a manager or higher. Lousy if you actually 'work' there.
Respect - Don't expect respect. You have to earn it. Most people there try to earn it by blamestorming after something goes wrong to make them look better (and their team if you are lucky).
Benefits are actually pretty good. Matching 401k with lousy choices, but better than other companies I've worked for. Insurance choices are decent, but all are expensive.
Security - It's almost impossible to get fired. That's good for those who don't know what they're doing, bad for you because you're stuck with a bunch of people who don't know what they're doing...
Work/Life Balance - I haven't had a complaint yet. I'm expecting to finally get some type of reward for putting in the extra time to learn, but we'll see what the results are...
Career Growth - Just stick around long enough and you'll make it to middle management if you want. If you don't then you don't want it or can't put up with the crap long enough to stick around.
Location - Alpharetta isn't too bad. Back roads get me there in 35 minutes from about 25 miles away.
Co-worker compentence - see above. Hard to get fired so slack all you want.
Work environment - building is beat up, run down, grungy looking. But, we have new vending machines! <- sarcasm
I think that pretty much covers it. If you are on the 'cost' side of the budget, don't expect to get what you need to do your job. If you are on the 'income' side of the budget you'll get all the respect, materials and credit for the work.

All in all - just like any other large corporation. This one's pretty good comparitively speaking, based on the other jobs I've had. There are some really good people there, just try to align yourselves with them and make friends in high places (Directors and VP's - stay away from those above that).