Working at Indianapolis Zoo — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Indianapolis Zoo pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Indianapolis Zoo

From Indianapolis, IN — 05/17/2007

Pay: 7.50 is a really decent starting wage for the type of work you do. The zoo is a great second job or college part-time job. Respect: All the supervisors are super respectful and except the same. Benefits: My position is seasonal, so there aren't any benefits like insurance. But we do get free admission for friends and family, free rides, and a variety of other discounts at the zoo and other places. Job security: Almost everyone is hired back in our department after the end of the year layoffs. And with the growth of the zoo in recent years, it looks like the attendance will continue to rise, requiring more of us! Work/Life: Schedules are posted far in advance, and requests are almost always accepted. Growth: It's difficult to get a full time or part time position at the zoo, but people frequently move into new departments or get promoted to another higher paying seasonal position. Location: Being downtown is awesome. You really get to know the city. Competence: As with any job, there will be a few bad apples, but this job seems to have the very fewest dummies I've ever been around! There is a high standard for working for the zoo. Environment: Super friendly, fast paced, lots of fun.

From Indianapolis Indiana — 09/18/2006

Pay: 7.50/hr, but there's not really much to the job and the zoo is privatly owned. So that's really all they can afford to pay. You won't get 40hrs a week but it's ok, the zoo should be used as a second job or a job when you're in school. Respect: I have never in my life had a job that I could say I love my boss/supervisors. They don't make you feel stupid or wrong for any reason. When you need to call in (with a reasonable excuse) it's fine and if you need to talk thier there for you. Benefits: not sure Job Security: It is a seasonal job, so you get laid off in December, but they rehire in March and the ones who worked there last season are the first to be called before they hire new people. Balance: If you give them enough notice you will get your days off that you want. Growth: It's pretty easy and frequent to move up. Location: downtown, not that bad once you get used to it Co-Worker competence: It's an easy job to catch on to, and everybody working there seems to enjoy thier job. Work Environment: Great! The only downfall is the customers.