Working at Independent Capital Management — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Independent Capital Management pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Independent Capital Management

From Orange County, CA — 05/21/2010

I am very happy with all that I have learned over the years and believe that it is my "Dream Career" since I am able to help people every day and earn a great income.

From CA — 05/06/2010

There is obviously a lot of "haters" out there! Well, having been with the company for a number of years, your respect level is based upon your productivity. You produce, you get respect! You dont produce you dont get it. In fact, it's their behind the doors methodology that if you dont produce, well - they're really not going to give you the time or day. Encouraging you to leave. Because it's a for profit business. You are in business for yourself, but not by yourself. But, guess what - you have to work! Like any job, they require or encourage you to work. Now, the marketing, training, well... that's pretty much non-existent! Unless you're in your PK (product knowledge stage.) As for growth, well there are abundant opportunities to grow, but you have to be a self starter. You have to look on line, contact wholesalers, to find out the "cutting edge" information. This company is about working with the unsophisticated investor, which is pretty much 90% of the public. So, that being said, YOU can have a pretty successful track record especially if you get a lot of referrals. If you don't get the referrals, you'll die! I imagine, this would be for any business! It only takes 1 negative comment to destroy the credibility. As for work environment, there is a lot of cliques, if you're in... your in... but if your out... well... it goes back to your work ethic, your productivity, and the ability to be a self starter. Cause, if you think about it, success really is the best revenge!

From los angeles — 11/24/2009

This is the best opportunity to get into the financial services industry. The company provides complete training and licensing. It also helps you begin to build your business through support f your management team. The company is independent of any FS company so you can provide your clients the best products and services. This has been a wonderful opportunity that I would recommend to anyone wanting to grow a career and work hard.

From Orange County — 11/09/2009

I have been with ICM for several years and it has been a great career choice for me. Everything that was promised was delivered and more (health insurance provided, 401k matching, unlimited growth potential, etc.). It is a career that has put me in control of my destiny with the backing of a 20+ year old well respected firm. I love having the ability to help people with their finances and at the same time continue to grow as a Financial Advisor and Manager. We can help people with their investments, insurance, retirement and mortgages/real estate.

From Los Angeles — 11/09/2009

This is one of the few ways for someone with no experience to enter the securities and insurance industry. You have to be licensed to be in the industry so you need training. ICM provided me all the training and exams to be a licenced securities and insurance agent. Most firms focus on wealthy people, but by focusing on all types of clients ICM has grown its business over the last 22 years. There is no other career path that can offer you the same amount of reward and flexibility. If you work hard and like to learn, the growth potential is limitless. Of course, the financial services industry is not for everyone. You must be self motivated, creative and trainable. It is not for the people who want to work 9 to 5. The career requires passing multiple exams, a college degree and good credit. More and more people need securities, insurance, trusts and mortgages so it is a stable profession. I recommend this career to entrepreneurial people who want to be involved with the financial services industry.

From CA — 08/17/2008

The people that wrote previous reviews obviously didn't understand what it takes to be a financial advisor before going into it. As an Advisor for any company, you are starting your own business. If you don't work your butt off, you're not going to get anywhere. Ask Bill Gates how much money he made his first year he started Microsoft or Steve Jobs when he started Apple. If you aren't prepared to put the same amount of work into it as someone that is starting your own business, you're not going to get anywhere. This is a long term job, if you can make it over the initial hurdles, you're are setting yourself up for a career with many benefits and a lifestyle you're not gonna find in other industries.