Working at In-N-Out Burger — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about In-N-Out Burger pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at In-N-Out Burger

From Cali — 10/18/2009

In-n-out is the best company to work for! Great pay! awesome room to move up! LOVE IT!

From milpitas, ca — 06/28/2009

I've been working at In-N-Out for about a year and a half and from my branch, this is how I review it. I would recommend working there for 6 months or less.
Pay-Starting rate is pretty good but it seems to be really selective on the management's part about who gets their raises or not. Even though people may get hired after you, they can have a more opportunities to get to the next level than you can which can feel very unfair. It doesn't seem to matter how hard you work.However, it is nice that you can always ask to work more or less, depending on what you need but having to deal with the difficult customers make the pay not worth what you put in.
Respect- In-N-Out customers seem to lack logic and respect for the associates which creates a very difficult working environment to be in. A lot of blame is put upon the workers and in my store, the management seen to really give only certain people respect while others not as much.
Benefits- Once a year the company throws a company picnic depending on the location you're working at and during Christmas, we all get gifts.
Security- As long as you follow the rules, you will probably remain working there until you quit.
Work/Life Balance- This is a very stressing job which can affect your lifestyle and views.
Career Potential/Growth- You can get a lot of money being part of management.
Location- There are many locations and mine is located in a pretty good area for business.
Competence- A lot of co-workers are lazy and like to create drama and gossip since many are in high school or just out and therefore, most carry that mentality to their job.
Work Environment- In-N-Out is very strict on cleanliness but with their endless rules and many management people acting like we're their slaves, it creates a hostile environment. It is also a place full of stress and tension. Very loud and not exactly a job where you can feel "at home" or relaxed.

From San Francisco, Calif — 09/02/2008

I worked at the Fisherman's Wharf In-N-Out for a summer, I got hired the summer before my senior year in high school. They really made an effort to hire immigrants and high school kids, so you can either look at that as hiring people who aren't going to be complaining, or giving people chances who would otherwise have a tough time getting relatively well-paying jobs. I will say that literally everyone else who was hired with me had friends refer them, so you might not like the hiring process, but I didn't have a referral and didn't have a problem getting a job.

Respect: Kind of questionable. Managers respect you, coworkers' attitudes towards each other are all over the place- they might love you, might hate you. Probably just depends on the location and who you get stuck with.

Benefits: Only worked a summer, never needed/used them so I don't know.

Job security: We had some pretty lazy people who didn't get fired, so I'd say it was pretty good.

Work/Life balance: They ask you to stay late sometimes with basically like 30 minute warning at the end of your shift if it's really busy. I don't know if that's standard for fast-food places... probably not, since I wouldn't think that most fast-food places would get that busy. They also have monthly meetings that last only an hour but you have to go out there anyway, and the commute's really not worth it but you have no choice. On the other hand, if you're sick then you're sick and my manager/assistant manager would be pretty understanding.

Career potential/growth: Seemed pretty good. People could move up, but I don't know if that stopped right before assistant manager (when you start making real money)

Location: There are a lot of them, so, pretty good.

Co-worker competence: Might be my branch, but everyone except the high school kids worked really hard and knew what they were doing. If you factor out the high school kids, looking back I'm actually extremely impressed.

Work Environment: Coworkers were nice, treated me (at the time, 17) with respect, manager/assistant manager extremely understanding (I was late a couple of times too, but they never really got on me for it since I was by and large a pretty hard worker), would work with you on scheduling if you put in a request in time (1 1/2-2 weeks in advance). If you're really stuck on something, manager would help you out. Except for one isolated incident, customers were actually really cool (tourist location, so they were all on vacation and that probably had a lot to do with it).

So, I can see why In-N-Out has a pretty good reputation. It's well-deserved as long as you remember that you're flipping burgers here. Anyone can do what you're doing, so don't expect $15/hour. You have to do what management says- it's not a democracy, it's a place that makes burgers.

From Irvine, Ca — 08/19/2008

I think that this is a great company to work for. The benefits are great for full time employees and the company definitely goes the extra mile to show their appreciation. I think that this is a really good company to work for if you have little or no education, yet still want a fun and rewarding career. I worked for INO as my first job when I was 16 and was with them for 2 years. After thinking that working for a "fast food company" was notsomething I could be proud of, I wnet into pharmaceuticals. After 5 years in the pharmeceutical industry, I realize that loving your job is more important than making a lot of money. Now that I have dedicated my career journey to INO, I have moved up into management. INO loves to hire from within, and I know that I can do any job I want and still work for the best company on the west coast.