Working at IKEA — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about IKEA pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at IKEA

From perryville, md — 07/07/2010

Overall not too bad to work for, management and employees to focused on politics. Come in, do your work, get your paycheck and go home!

From California — 03/26/2010

worked for the company for some time now....... great people, great place, great business.
I have worked for other retailers before, and this by far is the best in all aspects

From Lebec, CA — 11/06/2009

I work in the distribution center in Lebec, CA and have rated all categories below from my experience there.

Pay: Not fantastic, but definitely above minimum wage for even general warehouse positions. The pay is reasonable, but you certainly won't get rich working for IKEA.

Respect: I feel incredibly respected as an individual and coworker. As someone else said, there are two sides to IKEA. I've come to realize that management from those who were hired into high positions as outsiders manage nothing close to IKEA's management philosophy, while those who worked their way up are much more respectful, understanding, and motivating. The latter find a way to relate to coworkers without making them feel like they're on a different level, although they may be.

Benefits: IKEA's benefits are great. What may be lacking on your pay stub is seriously made up with the benefits. Dental is so cheap and covers a considerable amount every year. The education assistance is a great incentive to finish a college degree. I recently had a baby and with the insurance, i only had to pay $200, regardless of the number of days I needed to stay in the hospital.

Job Security: I personally feel great job security because I feel valued in my department, but our location did let go of nearly 30 people during the slump in the economy for general warehouse positions.

Work/Life Balance: With sick days available when your spouse or child is sick, I feel that IKEA has a good work/life balance. In my department, I feel incredibly fortunate to have a team leader and boss that are so understanding if there is something I need to do. For example, they allowed me to take a few days off during a blackout period because I was getting married, which would seem obvious. However, I'm not sure I would've gotten the same courtesy from another company. Also, if you have something going on, they try to be flexible with your work schedule if possible. We used to be a seven day operation, but they made incredible adjustments to the operation to reduce it to Monday through Friday so coworkers could be with their families on the weekends.

Career potential/Growth: I feel that IKEA's philosophy of growth is motivating, but unfortunately, the opportunities aren't always there. I don't think this is really anything to do with the company, but rather the seemingly low turnover rate in our location.

Location: Our building is 30 miles from the nearest big city, so this is a big negative. Our steering group worked with the local GET bus to arrange a special bus route to our building to help coworkers reduce the cost of gas. Unfortunately, the buses pickup over an hour before your scheduled shift, so it is really a choice between valuing your time or your money.

Coworker competence: I gave this a negative 5 because the attitude of our coworkers has a recurring theme of immaturity. They want everything handed to them, rather than work for it. Most coworkers complain of not having the chance to move up, but make no effort to do so. They join committees and take no responsibility for tasks, yet they expect rewards. It's frustrating for me to see, as I'm sure it is for management to deal with. We have VOICE meetings where coworkers are free to express themselves. I consistently hear complaints in these meetings that the team leaders haven't solved this or that problem, yet they admit to not trying to solve it themselves. They want raises, promotions, and recognition, but don't want to work for it.

Work Environment: My department is very laid back because the management trusts the coworkers to do their jobs. There are definitely more uptight departments in our building, but I am fortunate to not be in those departments.

From Bloomington, Minnesota — 06/10/2009

The pay is decent for a starting position, but nothing phenomenal. I only worked part time so the yearly salary isn't really applicable. I think that the managers try to accommodate the coworkers to a reasonable degree. The benefits are excellent if you stay at the company long enough to receive them (i.e. not a temporary position). As far as I know, they rarely do lay-offs so if you start working there and want to keep working there, you most likely can do so. Between the job security and the benefits, they aim to keep you around; they are looking mostly employees seeking a career. The scheduling is pretty flexible. There is a lot of room for advancement and movement withing the company, but you often need to be willing to relocate to get some of the better advancements. The location was a bit of a drive for me, but it wasn't too bad; this was probably the worst part of the job for me. the coworkers are friendly and knowledgeable and the store is overall a fun place to work. I would reccomend it =)

From Conshohocken, PA — 08/02/2008

I worked at IKEA as a sales co-worker for almost two years while I was finishing my college degree nearby. The environment within the store was much more professional and competent than my previous experience at another retail employer. I made many close friends there of all ages as walks of life and the co-worker population was quite diverse in age, background, nationality, and ethnicity.

The customers are usually fun to work with but as with any job there are often difficult, ignorant, and disrespectful customers also. The company encourages customers to educate themselves through their extensive communications so that assistance needed is limited to necessary encounters.

There are a lot of factors that go into being happy with a position in the company and I think I made it in at pretty good spot. I was lucky enough to be hired in one of BAs (Business Areas) as a sales co-worker and under competent and motivating management. I felt respected by my co-workers as well as most of the management team. This respect is not just assumed however. While as a new co-worker you are given a certain amount of respect and leeway it is quickly learned by everyone around you what type of worker you are and this greatly effects your experiences and opportunities in the future. I worked very hard despite my limited hours as a part-timer but earned the respect of my manager as well as those in nearby departments. This allowed opportunities to gain more responsibility within my job which were personally rewarding and makes the day go faster. As far a financially rewarding, not really. At the same time however I have seen positions which are less desireable because of the management team in that area and high turn-over rates almost often correlated with management (although I doubt anyone at the company would admit that).

The pay for a retail position was better than most in my area but still not great. Raises were more frequent than I expected but often negligible. There is definitely a large gap between management pay and those under them. Getting to management would take a very long time. Often just getting a full-time position was difficult. Many people that work there have been there for a long-long time so as a new-comer there is a long line of potential management candidates ahead of you unless you work extremely hard to be seen as management material. I knew people who had been working there for 10+ years who were still trying to creep their way up the company ladder.

Scheduling was pretty flexible with about a months notice needed for request/offs and a bit more for vacation.

Benefits were great, paid vacation, flex holiday, personal, and sick time was earned as a reasonable rate. I didn't use the available medical or dental coverage but I never heard complaints from those who did.

In all this was a fun place to work and I'm very glad I had the opportunity to work at IKEA. If your looking into working there part-time, just looking for something to pass the time, or have a real passion for retail or home-furnishing/decorating I would definitely go for it. It's Fun!

From Bloomington, MN — 07/13/2008

IKEA is the best place I have ever worked. Everybody that works there is friendly and willing to help. The management is awesome and the benifits are great. As a part-time employee I get paid vacation and time off, paid sick days, a 401k, employee discount, and so many more. I work in returns so I get my fair share of bad customers but honestly, what company doesn't have those? I am able to work my way up to bigger and better things and am paid very generously. The co-worker area is fantastic. Co-workers have their own cafe, bathrooms, lockers, game room, fitness center, and entrance. The parking is covered so there are no worries about storms and such. The location is right by the MOA so it's a quick drive and easy to get to. Most of the customers are nice and it's fun to meet the tourists that come to IKEA. The whole store is so organized and clean. I am very proud of working there and I think it is a great place for anybody to work.

From Washington DC — 03/30/2008

I have worked retail for a long time and while Ikea has it's problems, it is by far the best retail treatment as a coworker that I have had. People seem to really care about each other.