Working at IBM — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about IBM pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at IBM

From Kolkata — 11/29/2007

IBM India Pvt Ltd is one of the most reputed names in Indian IT Industry. But once again the experience that you have with these companies depends on the location/competency that you have joined, as well as your experience and role/job expectations from the company. I joined the Siebel competency of IBM Kolkata and was rather horrified. The most important thing is that to grow a competency in a location, you need competent managers. You need the leadership that will take you through the birth pangs to the light of day.

Unfortunalely, IBM Kolkata Siebel competency certainly does not have the leadership to take the competency forward. Moreover, the so called managers over here are brow-beaten by the more stronger Bangalore managers. Kolkata managers are so weak that they can not even bring a good enough project to Kolkata. I for one did not even find a single manager in the Siebel compaetency whom I can take as my role model.
Moreover, they depend on the more agile Cognizant for resources and wean people from CTS by high salary offers(poaching). But they are not able to retain these talents for long. Very soon these people get frustrated and leave.
So friends, if you are into niche technologies like Siebel and into the high experience bracket, be careful if you are considering IBM Kolkata as an option.

From RTP, NC — 07/14/2007

IBM is obviously a larget company (300,000+). Most folks here on jobvent have focused on the negative sides of working for a big company. I can't really comment on those, but I can talk about my experience of the last nine years with IBM.

For example, my wife and I had a chance to experience living in two different parts of the country, with the relocations on IBM's nickel. I have been able to visit great places such as Egypt, the UK, Switzerland as part of traveling on business.

I know many folks working at other tech companies around RTP,NC (similar years in the industry), and I am confident that I am paid significantly higher than they are.

You can move up and around within IBM. IBM has a broad reach. Someone can stay in IBM but have a career that covers many different types of technologies and jobs. IBM uses something called blue opportunities specifically for helping folks find interesting areas to work on an experimental basis.

My group just promoted three people yesterday. Promotions are no longer planned around once a year, they can come at any month of the calendar. One of the folks, a woman, is less than five years out of university and has doubled her starting salary.

I have the chance to work alongside some amazingly talented folks. The RTP location is home to exciting things around web2.0, jazz.net, projectzero.org.

IBM has many different types of organizational styles. My group just transformed itself to have technical leads as managers. These folks deeply understand how to coach and mentor developers, because they themselves are developers.

From NEw Delhi , India — 07/10/2007

hiiiiiiiii

From poughkeepsie, NY — 12/09/2006

I'm on a new account and have to be availble every weekend every other month. I've been looking for a job internally for over a year and can't find anything, my boss won't do anything to help

From Boulder, Co — 09/06/2006

Mellow - even when their hair is on fire. The people I work with have been here forever - most 20 plus years. My office mate has been on maternity leave for a year. I think she works one Friday a month. Mellow mellow mellow

From Phoenix, AZ — 04/21/2006

At this point, I've lost hope of getting a raise or any type of advancement at all. When we were assimilated into IBM from another major company that we were working for at the time, they promised us all kinds of oppurtunities and training. As soon as we were IBM employees though, they told us that we would only get training if it was absolutely necessary for the current job that we were doing, and I've been pigeon-holed in this job for the last four years. They also implied that we would continue to get yearly raises as long as our work was good, but lo and behold, nobody in my division ever gets any raises. The hours are flexible which I enjoy, but there is not much job security. We always have the fear of IBM letting us go and replacing us with supplemental employees that won't do as good of a job for our customers, but will do it for less money. If you are a supplemental, don't look to be with IBM for long. They treat the supplementals even less respect than their employees. Most of us are just waiting for the day that our large business customer will realize that they're spending much more for desktop support services with IBM than they did when they had desktop support insourced, and that they will hire us back. Very dissapointed with my experience at IBM.

From Houston, Tx — 03/12/2006

Pay is good; competetive. Respect is great; mgmt is great but demands a lot as it should be. Benefits are great. Job security is also great; one must perform for security. Not much OT required giving life/work balance high marks. Potential for growth excellent; up to the individual. Location is good with two offices one in Mamaroneck and the other in Florida. Co-worker competence can be questionable but overall is excellent. Work environment ok with too many complainers on board and gossip. IBM overall a great company to work at and showing signs of tremendous growth and opps. Another cause of yellow poop is a giardia infection. Giardia are tiny Protozoan parasites that can invade the intestines and result in severe yellow diarrhea. Complainers should find another place to work; no time for babysitting here. Staff is caring about patient welfare and quality overall. CEO is smart; HR listens; IT getting better; sales excellent; ops great. A great place to work.