Work at IBM — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about IBM pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at IBM

From Melbourne — 08/30/2009

Good company for secure job
Difficult to find a good role

From Bangalore — 06/03/2009

I work in the ibm software labs in bangalore. I have got to work on quite a lot of interesting and cutting edge stuff you never get to work on in the indian companies. Working in Product Development and Open Source is challenging and rewarding monetarily. I see a lot of great talents there in the software labs. The pay is higher than services companies however nowhere near google or microsoft.avg(12+ for 7-8 yrs) Regarding CTS I too was in that company for more than 3 yrs. I got to work on many flagship accounts there like ebay etc. However the indian companies cannot compare to IBM. The senior talent that is present in IBM Globally is amazing there are leaders in almost every field. Did u know IBM had 5 nobel prize winners. So I would say it depends on what you do and what your capabilities are as well as which division you are in.

Regarding apple polishing I have not seen a single company where it isn't practised. It is practised by employees after all and not the company.

From Austin, TX — 05/28/2009

I joined IBM right out of school and into a development lab. It was a great place to start, with a campus environment and with a lot of support. Sadly, things have steadily declined.
My biggest regret is that IBM is by no means a "technology" company any more. It's a consulting and services company. Sure, there are some pockets of innovation, but IBM is no longer driven by a passion for technology and that absence of passion now pervades the company as a whole. Sales teams don't have a clue about the products they're selling. Building a relationship with clients is considered a means and not an end. There's no real vision at all.
The upshot is a company that works its people to the bone; cuts costs at the expense of quality and employee compensation and, in my mind, is continuing to exist in spite of its efforts, not because of its efforts

From Dallas tx — 05/13/2009

been @ ibm 13 years on the sales side. Manage by fear. WAY to much fat layers of people that ad ZERO value. Name is best in business helps to get appointments. there are only a few careers - Mgt, specialist, client side.

From RTP, NC — 12/03/2008

No respect for the employee. All decisions are based on stock price, and even when times were good, the money did not trickle down very far from the top. They send more jobs over seas to incompetent people just to save a buck. Even their own internal help desk is outsourced. And believe me, all they can do is answer the phone. I'm thankful to have a job, but not sure if it's worth the stress level of wondering if/when my job will be sent someplace else, "for the good of the company".

From London — 11/13/2008

I joined IBM just over a year ago. Negociated an excellent pay rise over my last job so i am happy with the pay. I work from home so my work location and environment couldn't be better. The company may not be the great company it once was but i definitely think i have made the correct move joining IBM.

From home office, anytown — 08/10/2008

All decisions made within IBM are made for one reason, to make the senior executives opulently rich. Once you come to terms with this you can better understand why the traditional pension was frozen, why the health insurance plan sucks, why you rarely if ever get a raise (more likely to get a pay cut), why HR treats you like inbred idiots, why retirees are getting shafted with the "Future Health Account" and accounting trickery whittles away at your monthly retirement income. This isn't about you... It is all about Sam and his pals on the board of directors getting rich. Sign up with IBM for a couple of years to add it to your resume, then go someplace where they treat you like IBM treated their employees during the Watson era. Working from home is great. My peers are great , my manager is great.. but the egotistical bastards steering the ship are steering us towards an iceberg while the band plays on.

From Manila, Philippines — 07/04/2008

There is no amount of blackbooks or insider reports that will prepare you for what awaits at IBM Daksh. You don't know your spouse until you live with them, so hands-on experience is best. I will stick to the points na-

Pay:
Daksh pays well. But it pays too well considering some people who work here simply because no one else would pay them half the money for their skills (or lack of it).

Respect:
Everyone respects their bosses. We are IBMers, after all. Informed dissent amounts to nothing. Hierarchy rules.

Benefits:
Standard benefits mandated by Labor Law. Extra benefits include team fund, bi-annual parties, summer outing etc. Fun filled.

Job Security:
No one I know ever got fired at IBM for non-performance. The only way you can invent to get fired is to touch/speak inappropriately to a female employee, or for financial/payroll manipulations.

Work/Life Balance:
Some departments (read eRelations, Strategic Quality, Change Management) have absolutely no job. It's amazing the kind of things they do to earn their paycheck. Compared to them, Rock stars begin to look like hardworking farmers. And then there are understaffed departments that toil so much - Accounting, Payroll, WFM for what is basically a thankless job with little margin for error.

Career Growth:
There is plenty of growth. And that's the problem, the performers feel nothing special because an equal number of, if not more, clueless, unintelligent people get promoted. If you are capable and deserving, you will not get promoted even if you scream. But if you are tenured or threaten to resign, you are more likely to get promoted or be assured of one in near future. This company has no history of skyrocketing someone capable to take on a tough job or firing a leader for failing miserably. This is also perhaps the only company that trains its agents on six sigma when they cannot explain phone bills to their customers in US. What good is six sigma training if you don't train me well on the product I am taking calls for? I can only imagine what trainings the upper management gets to run a no-nonsense business.

All in all, there is good growth, but it will be shared by those who do not deserve it. If that's okay with you, join us!

Location:
Except for the Makati site, all other facilities are a shame compared to other call centers.

Co-worker Competence:
Ranges from absolutely smart and brilliant to utterly pathetic and incompetent. The fact that such people somehow end up working together to serve IBM's clients is a greater testimony to it's Diversity program than GLBT will ever be.

Work Environment:
Same as other call centers as far as agents or support staff is concerned. The only unappealing factor can be the lack of professionalism among the line managers. From the way they dress or speak, you could mistake an OM for AM or an AM for agent.

To conclude, this is not a bad place to work at or start your career with, but if you are like any of the people I've just described, please go join somewhere else, we have enough of your kind already.

Thanks!

Peace, Love, Light!

From Hawthorne, NY — 06/18/2008

IBM's Research Division is a wonderful place to work. It is not Shangri-La, but accounting for reality, it's a delightful place to work. It's the people that make all the difference. They are brilliant and generally play nice with other children. The pay is not impressive. You can easily earn more elsewhere, unless you are a workaholic that can get one of the few raises that are meted out each year to only the very highest performers. The high cost of living in Westchester County (or nearby New York City) forces many to live an hour away, with no reasonable (time wise), affordable (avoiding taxis) public transportation options. Fortunately, occasional telecommuting is allowed and keeps one productive on snowy days, eliminating the risk of driving on the dangerous icy Taconic Parkway to get to work. There is adequate time off for home-life emergencies and such that arise. The cons are that the workload is overwhelming, so you have to learn to say no or just accept the overtime required to do a really good job. Type A personalities can work themselves to death. Finding funding for your favorite research project is always a struggle, and is a time-consuming drag every Fall. Like everywhere, cost controls limit travel and the "toys" one would expect to find in a world-class industrial research center. However, being able to collaborate with bright colleagues from literally all over the world makes working at IBM's Thomas J. Watson Research Center an overall win in my opinion.

From Charlotte, NC — 01/24/2008

Great salary, flexible hours, great time off, no travel, great boss, competent co-workers, hit-or-miss managers, the offices are cave-like, built in the 80's and a bit depressing (with no cafeteria anymore - just a cafe that closes at 1:30 pm). We shall see in March about the performance bonuses and pay raises... reading comments from the others makes me doubtful even though I did well. I am still in my first year at IBM, but I plan on staying for the rest of my career. Maybe I am drinking the Kool-aid a bit quickly!! But I really enjoy going to work, so that's all that matters. I'm proud to be an IBMer.