Working at IBM — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about IBM pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at IBM

From US — 05/09/2010

Do you want to work at IBM?

If you have a strong education, resume and/or work experience, email me at workforbigblue@gmail.com and I can refer you. You won't regret a career with big blue!

From New Jersey — 04/27/2010

This is a review for my employment at IBM back in 1999-2000. The best thing about my time there was the quality of people I had to work with. Absolutely top notch technical pros, best in class. Management, however, was crappy. My managers were too wrapped up in methodology to really manage their people. They spent no time at all learning the individual strengths and weaknesses of their direct reports.

From Hope Tabonia — 04/07/2010

I only have two and a half years experience so perhaps I am not the most qualified to know the ins and outs of IBM. With that said I will comment that thus far the experience has been mostly positive.
Pay: Average starting salary with bonus...two raises, although small, and no awards. I am happy given the economy.
Respect: I am not sure what this means...they put me in good assignments and trust my judgement. They have a sales cadence which is kinda pointless but I am please with the level of responsibility.
Benefits: Matching 401k, good health coverage (single) at a reasonable price, interesting wellness benefits....no complaints at all.
Job security: I have learned that consultants are only as secure as their last engagement....true in and out of IBM so I have accepted it. they assign me plenty of work.
Work/Life balance: Travel plays a part here with the time away...consulting is what it is so I am not sure it would be much different anywhere else. Perhaps I am whining a bit.
Career Potential; I have learned that IBM is in a lot of businesses and movement among 'groups' is common although not at present.
Location: Like they say...within an hour of an airport is fine.
Co-worker Competence: We have a few tools but the vast majority of my colleagues are truly gifted.
Work Environment: so far...so good .

From Bratislava — 02/21/2010

i enjoy it so far

From New York — 01/31/2010

I'm very happy working for Big Blue. Less than a year hired, and could not be happier.

From Boulder, Colorado — 12/23/2009

32 years working for IBM. The pay is excellent. It's based on a merit/performance rating system so there are many that contribute little and are paid accordingly. For the top performers, the pay increases and potential to earn more are unlimited. Work location is great since I have the option to work from my home office or the IBM office in Boulder. As far as job security, IBM can let you go at any time for any reason but I've been employed by IBM during good times and bad times for 32 years and I have not worried about my job security. In IBM job security is determined by how much IBM wants to keep you based on what you are contributing to the business now/today. The benefits are decent, paid vacation, holidays, medical, dental, vision. I don't take these benefits for granted since I know many working people do not enjoy these same benefits. Overall, I am very glad I spent my career working for IBM and I will continue to work for IBM until I'm ready to leave on my own terms.

From Brno, Czech Republic — 12/11/2009

With the loads of cash I am making, the BMW company car, and the hot chicks, whats not to like?

From Brno, Czech Republic — 12/11/2009

IBM is the greatest place that I have ever worked in my life.

From East Coast — 10/24/2009

No complaints here when I look at the big picture. Yes, job security is less, and the work has gone up, and the bonuses are fewer. But over thirty+ years I have had a a lot of fun and a variety of jobs. Maybe because I stayed on the marketing/marketing support side, where there is perhaps more risk but relatively more reward. Those in plants or in Services likely do not have as much opportunity. I took nothing for granted, maintained and added to my technical skill (too many folks want to be paid without increasing their skills), saved 20-30% of my income yearly, and I'm happy with my salary and the rewards I have received for my results and creativity.. Very few places where a non-managerial technical person can earn $150K based and have bonuses/incentives pushing that over $200K. From my analysis I have enough to retire on at this point. But I'll keep going and contributing until they choose to "separate" me, and that wouldn't be all bad since it would mean another 80$ or so in severance to add to my nest egg.

From FL — 10/12/2009

Pay - once was great, now year after year bonus is less and less as is annual increase. Meanwhile company reports record profits. Funny, the worker-bees don't seem it.
My immediate management chain and peers respect me and each other. Its the executives and the VP level and above that seem to have lost all touch with reality and ignore anything we provide.
Benefits, like in most companies, are being slowly whittled away. Education? What is that? The "free" stuff is not even worth it.
Life/Work Balance - I work from home - best part of my job.
Career growth - I've been fortunate enough to have a values skill set, although I wonder how long it will take before it gets moved to New Dehli.
Location - Florida and work from home. Again - best part of my job.
Co-workers - my peers are some of the brightest and dedicated people I have ever worked with.
Work environment - Did I mention I work from home.... ?